Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My little Chinese bride has been seeing a snake around the yard of late, a fair-sized garter snake. I've been telling her not to worry, he's a good snake to have around and that he won't bother her.

This morning, he showed up while we walked around the yard and I ran over and grabbed him so she could get a good look. While I was trying to get her to come closer, I suddenly got a whiff of something awful. Looked down and the bast*rd had pooped all over my hands. What a stink!

None of the other snakes I've picked up, mostly black rat snakes, have done that to me. Don't know if that's a good defense against predators, but it's sure a good one against this old fat man.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Take that poop and put it where you do not want any mice and the mice will be gone.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Uh....

Didn't save it.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
lot of snakes use the poop as a defense mechanism.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
uh, some of'em will pee on ya too. and some will attempt to bite. might even bring a drop or two of blood. my son got bit by a big rat snake when he was about 8 years old. he didn't stop handling them though.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I expect the biting, and don't give them the chance. The poop was a surprise.

Black rat snakes put up a big fuss at first, but settle down quickly. This guy was pissed, kept his mouth open the whole time. Read that their saliva is mildly poisonous, but not a danger unless you're allergic.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Snake...relax and KILL all of em

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Found some snakes this morning myself. Think they were Siamese twins, seemed to be connected at the thorax or something. Largest one was about 8 foot. My wife got these photos for me.

[Linked Image]

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I recken when yer got to go... yer got to go!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Oldgunsmith--what kind of snakes are those?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bull Snakes. They hiss loudly and shake their tails to imitate a rattlesnake, but are non-venomous. Good ones to have around. Eat gophers and rats and such.

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by oldgunsmith
Found some snakes this morning myself. Think they were Siamese twins, seemed to be connected at the thorax or something. Largest one was about 8 foot. My wife got these photos for me.

Could those be two bull snakes mating?

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They look like King snakes but what do I know about snakes. They may be in a mating mode. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by oldgunsmith

Could those be two bull snakes mating?

That connected at the thorax thing just might be a clue.🤔

Generally, when I'm connected at the thorax, that's the reason.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by stxhunter
lot of snakes use the poop as a defense mechanism.

This ^^^^ Always try to grab as close to the head as possible and let the rest hang down. A 4 to 5ft black snake can put out a good bit of stench when so inclined...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Cool pics and definatly mating, 8' bull snake is a hellofa bull snake! All the constrictors, bull snakes, rat snakes, Indigos.... kill and eat other snakes including poisonous ones as part of their diet. Good snakes even when they poop on you.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My little bride saw a snake and left coconut water for it. She said he might be thirsty. No lie, Asian women are different.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Deflagrate
My little bride saw a snake and left coconut water for it. She said he might be thirsty. No lie, Asian women are different.

Sure are apechit fond of turtles, too. I have a resident Desert Tortoise that a whole PACK of Asian women are hot for,......sorry, no WAY they're displacing that critter.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably picked up way to many snakes when I was a kid - they simply were fascinating. It was normal to grab and hold them right behind the head. Some would then wrap around the arm. The smaller snakes would go the "poop" route pretty quickly. If you could handle a larger one gently and it could stay calm, you might avoid the defecate. When we arrived in the SW I had a young wife and 1 yr. old daughter and catching rattlers was supposed to be off limits. I only did that two or three times, and they were not the Mohave variety. The last time I attempted to catch a snake was about 10 years later in our back yard in Tucson - the kids (4 by then) wanted to see up close the every morning invader. I simply failed - it was a Red Racer. Try that sometime.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bull Snake, Gopher Snake same critter.
8 foot is longer than I have ever seen by a couple of feet.
Here in Idaho a four footer would be huge, have caught em over 5' south of here.
The ones here are faster to fight than the Western Rattlers which is the only rattlers here in SW Idaho.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (22250rem, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,629 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,697
Posts18,475,205
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.