Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Dutch

Using high levels of carbs as you suggest ..... Not much different from recommending steroids, in that way, really.

Who suggested high levels of carbs? When, how, and in the amounted/kind needed. It's pretty simple science for recovery, nothing debunked, only supported...again, this isn't some carb-loading crap, it's providing immediate fuel quickly to facilitate recovery and an anabolic state for muscle growth. There is no health downside to this, it is beneficial to your body. You drawing a parallel to steriods use is right in line with the rest of your reasoning....

You're still arguing about the general public rather than an individual that has a specific anabolic need....which is the opposite of the general public who are gaining weight and inactive.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
In my personal experience, for a fit guy deliberately training to gain strength (and weight) who lacks the means to a chef and dietician, you take your caloric surplus however you can get it, in the form of six large meals per day. There's no magic bullet, and it won't all be "clean".

Once at a desired weight, then training and diet is balanced in order to perform. For all-day high-output, that means eating fat/protein/low glycemic index carb regular meals, and in between every couple hours eating some mixed low GI and high GI carbs (biased toward low GI).

For low daily caloric burn and no strength training, limit the amount and glycemic index of carbs, and don't eat fake food.

None of this is that difficult.

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The final recipe is:
1/3 cup oatmeal
3 eggs
2 bananas
2 tbsp avocado oil
2 cups kefir or milk

Makes a quart and is good for right about 1,000 calories.
I've gained 10lbs with it so far.

Last edited by BarryC; 05/23/17.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was doing the cancer/radiation thing, they had me drinking Ensure drinks for calories.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can smell food and gain weight.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
BarryC,

Glad you have found an effective supplement for your weight gain needs. I'll bet that drink tastes just as bad as I imagine. Instead of whipping up something nasty in your blender, you could simply drink a half gallon of organic whole milk (I've tried many and the best tasting to me is Horizon) every day. This is the diet of all mammals (with some variation based on species) when gaining weight is job one. Some people are lactose intolerant, I understand that, but if you are not, this will work just fine.

Cheers, RS

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'll send you my diet for losing weight. I'm following it and I'm getting heavier....?

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by BarryC
I do a physically demanding job now and I've calculated that I need at least 1,500 extra calories/day to maintain weight. Any recipes for shakes/drinks that DO NOT include commercial preparations? I'm thinking of something like blending 2 cups of Kefir, 1/4 cup oatmeal, 1 banana, 2 whole eggs, 1 tbsp of avocado oil and some vanilla.

Any luck incorporating healthy oils in something like this? Thoughts on the eggs? I tried to eat whole eggs in a milk shot one time and they came out looking exactly like they did going in.

You may want to consider your cholesterol numbers and the amount of that you are getting. I would probably consult a dietician, they could help you find the right mix.

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It tastes pretty darn good. I add some vanilla extract to it when I use plain kefir, or use flavored kefir.

It's basically egg nog.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BarryC
It tastes pretty darn good. I add some vanilla extract to it when I use plain kefir, or use flavored kefir.

It's basically egg nog.

Egg Nog is a weakness of mine. If I let myself loose, I'd gain 30 pounds during eggnog season. smile

HEB stores here make the best. It barely pours it's so thick! Liquid custard!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 40 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,168
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.