Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I know I'm probably gonna get hammered for this, but to this day I don't understand the all in "magnum" crowd. Especially for deer hunting but in my view it could even extend to bear and elk except in cases of having the same energy at greater distances.

I entered some parameters on the Hodgdon reloading site. A 180 grain bullet for a 30-06 and a 180 grain bullet for a 300 Weatherby Magnum. Taking the top powder charge listed for both, basically the 300 Weatherby Magnum is a 43% increase in powder for under a 12% increase in speed. Using a recoil formula with an 8 lb rifle and a 180 grain bullet for both, the Weatherby would deliver a 60% increase in felt recoil! For what? You are still hitting the animal with the same .308 caliber bullet.

I don't get it even for normal bear hunting. If I keep shots under 250 yds with an 06 and I can shoot it accurately without flinching, I will kill any black bear on the planet with as much authority as can be expected when dealing with bears.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Ok

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
223AI is not a magnum.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Oh goody for you

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Oh goody for you

Lol. Are you saying some brow beatings are coming my way?

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ahh Yep.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Ahh Yep.

Lol. Well until someone can convince me of the authentication and year that deer developed armor plating, I'm going to remain highly skeptical of the magnums advantages and efficiency.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Oh goody for you

Lol. Are you saying some brow beatings are coming my way?

Haha. I'll oblige wink

I know us dudes act tough and some of us even pretend not to care about recoil, like not even think about it at all, and of course it's all a farce because we have little weeners. I know.

But don't tell my wife, she prefers the 300 WSM which is a bitchy magnum, I know, to my 30-06 and since she doesn't have a little weener like us guys to tell her to be scared she doesn't even complain about recoil. She just nuts right up to it and shoots it. Sometimes $hit falls down afterwards too. Probably her tits pad the kick enough for her to tolerate it.
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
And here I am mostly using my lowly .308,,,,,,,,,,,,,, in a lever action,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,99 wink Sometimes I carry a model 70 in .243 whistle Lately I have been drawn for Muzzleloader so I bought a .50 cal. I will call that my big bore magnum if I put full load into it.

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RoadRunner65
And here I am mostly using my lowly .308,,,,,,,,,,,,,, in a lever action,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,99 wink Sometimes I carry a model 70 in .243 whistle Lately I have been drawn for Muzzleloader so I bought a .50 cal. I will call that my big bore magnum if I put full load into it.

The 243 was just invented so the 308 didn't feel so bad about its little weener. You can't possibly kill stuff with those 2 guns, do you?
grin

IC B3

E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My pistol is a 30-06so my rifle has to be bigger. Right? Ed k

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Ok

lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
I know I'm probably gonna get hammered for this, but to this day I don't understand the all in "magnum" crowd. Especially for deer hunting but in my view it could even extend to bear and elk except in cases of having the same energy at greater distances.

I entered some parameters on the Hodgdon reloading site. A 180 grain bullet for a 30-06 and a 180 grain bullet for a 300 Weatherby Magnum. Taking the top powder charge listed for both, basically the 300 Weatherby Magnum is a 43% increase in powder for under a 12% increase in speed. Using a recoil formula with an 8 lb rifle and a 180 grain bullet for both, the Weatherby would deliver a 60% increase in felt recoil! For what? You are still hitting the animal with the same .308 caliber bullet.

I don't get it even for normal bear hunting. If I keep shots under 250 yds with an 06 and I can shoot it accurately without flinching, I will kill any black bear on the planet with as much authority as can be expected when dealing with bears.

Cool thing is you dont have to get it. Shoot what you like, as we all do. Last I checked there is only 1 level of dead. I enjoy shooting magnums. Not recoil sensitive at all. If a boring 308 trips your prick, then have at it. No wrong way here, but for sure more than 1 right way

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Under 250?

Must be an eastern thing.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I figure a gun is just a tool. If it works, fine with me. I hunted elk with a 300 WSM for years. Then I took a recall of all the elk I'd shot with it and there wasn't a single one that I couldn't have got just as well with a 30-06 that weighs a pound less. That pound counts more for me than the cool of the magnum.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Under 250?

Must be an eastern thing.

That's why I said except for same energy at greater distances. The "magnum" bug infects even easterners. I see untold amount of guys lugging those long barreled cannon's around in the deer woods and they are actually convinced they are at an advantage. True believers.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My favorite magnum story.....

At the gym I used to go to, a couple of young guys were talking about rifles and my ears perked up. One of the guys said he hunted deer with a 300 Remington Ultra mag. I butted into their conversation asking if Grizzlys were a problem on his deer lease (we were in South Ga). They both laughed and the fella told me that the reason he bought a 300 RUM was that his buddy had a 7mm RUM and he was tired of hearing him brag about it.

More than one magnum has probably been sold for that very reason! laugh

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Shade, I believe they call it, "Diminishing Returns". Twice the input does not produce twice the output.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Once again is there more than 1 level of dead? If others can easily handle the added recoil, then what does it matter?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The simple answer is that a magnum overrides the need for good shot placement or the need to hunt the wind. A big scope means you never need to get more than a few feet from the truck unless you have power windows. Muzzle blast is a bitch with magnums so make sure you put your beer in a cup holder, you'll spill beer on the dash otherwise.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,126
Posts18,502,517
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.