Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
And as far as weight goes, all of my "magnums" have been sub 7lb rifles. Some sub 6lb.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Once again is there more than 1 level of dead? If others can easily handle the added recoil, then what does it matter?

Once again is there more than 1 level of dead? If others can easily handle the added recoil, then what does it matter?

DRT and dead after a long chase are two very different things.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
As Long as somone is willing to buy then why not build and sell them...I agree with you compleatly I dearly love the 30-06 for most hunting situations and never leave home without one as at least a backup...there is a nich market for magnum class rifles and there are times when the 06 just won't preform well....one of my farms has a river bottom field I hunt where the potential of an 800 yd shot could be made with the right equipment....I usually Cary the a custom l61 r sako in 300 why....farthest to date is a tad over 400 and those 200 gr AB s hit hard even at that range.....the 06 is capable at 400 but not much further ...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

DRT and dead after a long chase are two very different things.

You're kinda making my point

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
I know I'm probably gonna get hammered for this, but to this day I don't understand the all in "magnum" crowd. Especially for deer hunting but in my view it could even extend to bear and elk except in cases of having the same energy at greater distances.

I entered some parameters on the Hodgdon reloading site. A 180 grain bullet for a 30-06 and a 180 grain bullet for a 300 Weatherby Magnum. Taking the top powder charge listed for both, basically the 300 Weatherby Magnum is a 43% increase in powder for under a 12% increase in speed. Using a recoil formula with an 8 lb rifle and a 180 grain bullet for both, the Weatherby would deliver a 60% increase in felt recoil! For what? You are still hitting the animal with the same .308 caliber bullet.

I don't get it even for normal bear hunting. If I keep shots under 250 yds with an 06 and I can shoot it accurately without flinching, I will kill any black bear on the planet with as much authority as can be expected when dealing with bears.

Cool thing is you dont have to get it. Shoot what you like, as we all do. Last I checked there is only 1 level of dead. I enjoy shooting magnums. Not recoil sensitive at all. If a boring 308 trips your prick, then have at it. No wrong way here, but for sure more than 1 right way

Agreed. Guess why I said that I was thinking of a Jim Shockey show I watched, who I genuinely like. But he made the comment on this show that I believe I'm correct in remembering was about bear hunting....black bear in this case. And he said he likes to have hunters show up with a 300 magnum, minimum. I don't get that at all. Most of the bear I ever seen killed at his camps looked like they were under 200 yd shots. Seems to me if you are talking about the same caliber, bullet structure and bullet placement would be way more important than more powder but maybe I'm being closed minded.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Truth be told my all time favorite rifle round is the 3006. But that being said I'm a gun lover. I also enjoy killing chit with magnums that kill deer too dead

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
I know I'm probably gonna get hammered for this, but to this day I don't understand the all in "magnum" crowd. Especially for deer hunting but in my view it could even extend to bear and elk except in cases of having the same energy at greater distances.

I entered some parameters on the Hodgdon reloading site. A 180 grain bullet for a 30-06 and a 180 grain bullet for a 300 Weatherby Magnum. Taking the top powder charge listed for both, basically the 300 Weatherby Magnum is a 43% increase in powder for under a 12% increase in speed. Using a recoil formula with an 8 lb rifle and a 180 grain bullet for both, the Weatherby would deliver a 60% increase in felt recoil! For what? You are still hitting the animal with the same .308 caliber bullet.

I don't get it even for normal bear hunting. If I keep shots under 250 yds with an 06 and I can shoot it accurately without flinching, I will kill any black bear on the planet with as much authority as can be expected when dealing with bears.

Cool thing is you dont have to get it. Shoot what you like, as we all do. Last I checked there is only 1 level of dead. I enjoy shooting magnums. Not recoil sensitive at all. If a boring 308 trips your prick, then have at it. No wrong way here, but for sure more than 1 right way

Agreed. Guess why I said that I was thinking of a Jim Shockey show I watched, who I genuinely like. But he made the comment on this show that I believe I'm correct in remembering was about bear hunting....black bear in this case. And he said he likes to have hunters show up with a 300 magnum, minimum. I don't get that at all. Most of the bear I ever seen killed at his camps looked like they were under 200 yd shots. Seems to me if you are talking about the same caliber, bullet structure and bullet placement would be way more important than more powder but maybe I'm being closed minded.

There isnt much that a properly placed 06 wont fall to. Guessing nothing really

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Magnums do exactly what "standard" cartridges do, but at greater distances.

LOL
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I figure a gun is just a tool. If it works, fine with me. I hunted elk with a 300 WSM for years. Then I took a recall of all the elk I'd shot with it and there wasn't a single one that I couldn't have got just as well with a 30-06 that weighs a pound less. That pound counts more for me than the cool of the magnum.

The 300 WSM is a MINO "Magnum In Name Only."

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RoadRunner65
And here I am mostly using my lowly .308,,,,,,,,,,,,,, in a lever action,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,99 wink Sometimes I carry a model 70 in .243 whistle Lately I have been drawn for Muzzleloader so I bought a .50 cal. I will call that my big bore magnum if I put full load into it.

The 243 was just invented so the 308 didn't feel so bad about its little weener. You can't possibly kill stuff with those 2 guns, do you?
grin

I feel under gunned a lot of the times, but everything I have shot at falls down dead for some reason. Maybe I should get a .270 magnum AI laugh

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some are sensitive to recoil, some are not. Some like to milk the cartridge for every possible fps, others not fixed on that. The term "magnum" had certain meaning 50 years ago - seems to mean different things these days. The technical definition was interesting when first I read it.

Despite the proclivities, favorites, myths and bragging points - it all seems to boil down to consistently excellent shooting accuracy with good bullets.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A few years ago, a local retailer had Mark X Mausers for sale at $199. When I got there, all they had left was a 300 Win. Mag. so I bought it. If all they had was an '06, I would have bought that. It is easy to load to '06 levels with 155 grain bullets for deer hunting. I also load near max loads with 180 grain partitions for elk hunting. It seems to be a flexible cartridge.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by doubletap
A few years ago, a local retailer had Mark X Mausers for sale at $199. When I got there, all they had left was a 300 Win. Mag. so I bought it. If all they had was an '06, I would have bought that. It is easy to load to '06 levels with 155 grain bullets for deer hunting. I also load near max loads with 180 grain partitions for elk hunting. It seems to be a flexible cartridge.

Don't blame ya. That was a good buy.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CCCC
Some are sensitive to recoil, some are not. Some like to milk the cartridge for every possibly fps, others not fixed on that. The term "magnum" had certain meaning 50 years ago - seems to mean different things these days. The technical definition was interesting when first I read it.

Despite the proclivities, favorites, myths and bragging points - it all seems to boil down to consistently excellent shooting accuracy with good bullets.

This is true enough. It just grinds some people's gears that some people can comfortably shoot bigger cartridges than they can.

Of course it's equally grating to hear stuff like (it doesn't matter where you hit them with a magnum, they're going down"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by doubletap
A few years ago, a local retailer had Mark X Mausers for sale at $199....

A few??? Methinks you're showing your age a bit. smile

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
The simple answer is that a magnum overrides the need for good shot placement or the need to hunt the wind. A big scope means you never need to get more than a few feet from the truck unless you have power windows. Muzzle blast is a bitch with magnums so make sure you put your beer in a cup holder, you'll spill beer on the dash otherwise.

Love it! That's good chit right there. I'm going to grab my 300WSM and a 12 pack.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Originally Posted by CCCC
Some are sensitive to recoil, some are not. Some like to milk the cartridge for every possibly fps, others not fixed on that. The term "magnum" had certain meaning 50 years ago - seems to mean different things these days. The technical definition was interesting when first I read it.

This is true enough. It just grinds some people's gears that some people can comfortably shoot bigger cartridges than they can.

Of course it's equally grating to hear stuff like (it doesn't matter where you hit them with a magnum, they're going down"

My hunting pard carries a Rem 700 in .300 win mag. I have a Mod 70 in 7mm Rem mag. I would rather shoot his 300 over my 7mm. His seems to kick about the same as my .308 where my 7mm has a sharper kick. Maybe I will change stocks on it and see if that helps. I can shoot my .50 BMG more than my 7mm. More of a push like a 10 ga than the sharpness of the 7mm.

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Oh goody for you

Lol. Are you saying some brow beatings are coming my way?

Haha. I'll oblige wink

I know us dudes act tough and some of us even pretend not to care about recoil, like not even think about it at all, and of course it's all a farce because we have little weeners. I know.

But don't tell my wife, she prefers the 300 WSM which is a bitchy magnum, I know, to my 30-06 and since she doesn't have a little weener like us guys to tell her to be scared she doesn't even complain about recoil. She just nuts right up to it and shoots it. Sometimes $hit falls down afterwards too. Probably her tits pad the kick enough for her to tolerate it.
[Linked Image]

So, where does she get a big weener? wink

BTW, great looking elk killer you got there.

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/20/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
ShadeTree,

You said it in your original post. One can get greater range with more velocity. There is no need to endure increased recoil. I use a brake and know no one around this area who doesn't. The same goes for electronic hearing enhancer / protection.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I figure a gun is just a tool. If it works, fine with me. I hunted elk with a 300 WSM for years. Then I took a recall of all the elk I'd shot with it and there wasn't a single one that I couldn't have got just as well with a 30-06 that weighs a pound less. That pound counts more for me than the cool of the magnum.

The 300 WSM is a MINO "Magnum In Name Only."
It's a lot closer to a 300 WM than it is to an '06.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10ring1, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1234, 51 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,107
Posts18,502,216
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.