Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
I know I'm probably gonna get hammered for this, but to this day I don't understand the all in "magnum" crowd. Especially for deer hunting but in my view it could even extend to bear and elk except in cases of having the same energy at greater distances.

I entered some parameters on the Hodgdon reloading site. A 180 grain bullet for a 30-06 and a 180 grain bullet for a 300 Weatherby Magnum. Taking the top powder charge listed for both, basically the 300 Weatherby Magnum is a 43% increase in powder for under a 12% increase in speed. Using a recoil formula with an 8 lb rifle and a 180 grain bullet for both, the Weatherby would deliver a 60% increase in felt recoil! For what? You are still hitting the animal with the same .308 caliber bullet.

I don't get it even for normal bear hunting. If I keep shots under 250 yds with an 06 and I can shoot it accurately without flinching, I will kill any black bear on the planet with as much authority as can be expected when dealing with bears.

It is just a cartridge.

Nobody is forcing you to shoot a magnum anything.

90+% of the time I shoot a .308 for deer and elk.

The rest I normally use a .300WM (for elk). The environmental conditions and distances (like when ranges exceed 600+) usually are the determining factors.

What other people think, and recoil formulas, is never a factor.

Shoot what you want. Nobody cares.

If all I had was my 6mm Remington, I don't think it would slow me down much.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by doubletap
A few years ago, a local retailer had Mark X Mausers for sale at $199. When I got there, all they had left was a 300 Win. Mag. so I bought it. If all they had was an '06, I would have bought that. It is easy to load to '06 levels with 155 grain bullets for deer hunting. I also load near max loads with 180 grain partitions for elk hunting. It seems to be a flexible cartridge.

You did well on both counts.

Getting older has moved me away from most magnums. I don't like the recoil, and it causes me some physical damage now. Weight is also a bigger factor, and lighter guns keep me hunting longer; we do a lot of walking, and much of that is vertical. A Kimber MT 257 Roberts will be my go-to for my NV deer, but I'll lug my MT in 325WSM for my Montana deer and elk hunts this season. It hammered the two elk and two mulies I shot with it. I look at it as a "moderate-magnum". grin

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some guys drive vettes, some drive priuses. Both get you to the bar. The vette might get u home with the blonde.
The mag rifle adds a level of confidence just like the vette does.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257wby
Some guys drive vettes, some drive priuses. Both get you to the bar. The vette might get u home with the blonde.
I know guys who gain zero confidence by using a "magnum" but who experience great confidence because they have made themselves excellent riflemen. Maybe I need to get a Corvette - no - wait - I have an old one.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by 257wby
I know guys who gain zero confidence by using a "magnum" but who experience great confidence because they have made themselves excellent riflemen. Maybe I need to get a Corvette - no - wait - I have an old one.

Since you have a corvette you could compensate by shooting a .270. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd agree that a dragster is not an efficient way to get through a quarter mile. But it's a kick in the ass and the quickest way to get there. To each his own. Within calibers, there are few cartridges that will outrun my Weatherby's.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/20/17.

1Minute
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm not sure that magnums are as big of a deal as they used to be post laser rangefinders. Where I hunt a 100 yard shot for deer or black bear is a long one, most are shot at about half that. My favorite deer rifles are a Remington Classic in 7x57mm left to by my favorite Uncle and my first deer rife a Marlin 336 30-30 when I'm walking a lot. My son has been killing deer with a .223 and 55 grain Barnes ttsx since he was nine.

Last edited by Mittenman; 07/20/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Oh goody for you

Lol. Are you saying some brow beatings are coming my way?

Haha. I'll oblige wink

I know us dudes act tough and some of us even pretend not to care about recoil, like not even think about it at all, and of course it's all a farce because we have little weeners. I know.

But don't tell my wife, she prefers the 300 WSM which is a bitchy magnum, I know, to my 30-06 and since she doesn't have a little weener like us guys to tell her to be scared she doesn't even complain about recoil. She just nuts right up to it and shoots it. Sometimes $hit falls down afterwards too. Probably her tits pad the kick enough for her to tolerate it.
[Linked Image]

So, where does she get a big weener? wink

BTW, great looking elk killer you got there.

Haha not from dudes on the internet, that's for sure. Nobody on the internet can handle recoil so, you know. Small hands too, nimble and good for typing but boy do they shake with a 'magnum' in 'em. (man, there's all kinds of puns in there wink )

And thanks, it's one of my favorite rifles laugh

Last edited by huntinaz; 07/20/17.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I know I'm probably gonna get hammered for this, but to this day I don't understand the all in "magnum" crowd. Especially for deer hunting but in my view it could even extend to bear and elk except in cases of having the same energy at greater distances.

I entered some parameters on the Hodgdon reloading site. A 180 grain bullet for a 30-06 and a 180 grain bullet for a 300 Weatherby Magnum. Taking the top powder charge listed for both, basically the 300 Weatherby Magnum is a 43% increase in powder for under a 12% increase in speed. Using a recoil formula with an 8 lb rifle and a 180 grain bullet for both, the Weatherby would deliver a 60% increase in felt recoil! For what? You are still hitting the animal with the same .308 caliber bullet.

I don't get it even for normal bear hunting. If I keep shots under 250 yds with an 06 and I can shoot it accurately without flinching, I will kill any black bear on the planet with as much authority as can be expected when dealing with bears.

The firearms that others own and use are none of your business so you are not required to 'understand' them.

I personally enjoy using 7mm on running rabbits, loads of fun.

Last edited by JSTUART; 07/21/17.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JSTUART

The firearms that others own and use are none of your business so you are not required to 'understand' them.

I personally enjoy using 7mm on running rabbits, loads of fun.

You completely missed the point of the whole post. It's not an argument about what is more fun to one person over another. If someone enjoys shooting or killing stuff more with a magnum have at it. Why would I even consider I should have an opinion on that? None of that was even in the thought process.

It's instead a debate on physics and about the supposed superiority of a magnum by some in all manner of hunting. The comment on the Jim Shockey show was a perfect example.....and guys I run into toting magnums in the deer woods is another.

I would argue that under 250 yds the magnums can offer a disadvantage. Both in needless recoil to accomplish the job at hand, and in finding out there are limits to the stress a particular bullet that is otherwise completely adequate, can endure when taking a shot up close and personal. I know guys that HATE one particular bullet or another, will never use them again because of complete failure........but of course the problem wasn't they were launching a relatively low sectional density bullet like a 30 cal 150 grain at blistering speeds. But their magnums are still better.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

No, you have missed the point, which is stop being a judgemental prick and leave other peoples choices alone.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Shade, I believe they call it, "Diminishing Returns". Twice the input does not produce twice the output.

Gooney, I would do well to keep that law in the back of my head regarding all sorts of things I work at not at all related to firearms. grin

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

No, you have missed the point, which is stop being a judgemental prick and leave other peoples choices alone.

Good grief man, have a cup of coffee. It's a debate about guns, learning, ballistics,etc, on a HUNTING forum. I learned some things and seen some good points made. And would get along just fine with several that are obvious magnum fans. If you don't want to participate, then dont.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Good grief man, have a cup of coffee. It's a debate about guns, learning, ballistics,etc, on a HUNTING forum. I learned some things and seen some good points made. And would get along just fine with several that are obvious magnum fans. If you don't want to participate, then dont.

Sigh...you just don't understand.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
3006/100 yard zero MV 2700 fps:

Range Drop Drop Windage Windage Velocity Mach Energy Time Lead Lead
(yd) (in) (MOA) (in) (MOA) (ft/s) (none) (ft•lbs) (s) (in) (MOA)
0 -1.5 *** 0.0 *** 2706.2 2.424 2926.5 0.000 0.0 ***
100 -0.0 -0.0 0.7 0.7 2525.0 2.262 2547.8 0.115 20.2 19.3
200 -4.0 -1.9 2.8 1.4 2351.1 2.106 2208.8 0.238 41.9 20.0
300 -14.2 -4.5 6.6 2.1 2183.9 1.956 1905.9 0.370 65.2 20.7
400 -31.8 -7.6 12.2 2.9 2023.6 1.813 1636.4 0.513 90.3 21.6

300 Weatherby, 3250 fps same zero:

Range Drop Drop Windage Windage Velocity Mach Energy Time Lead Lead
(yd) (in) (MOA) (in) (MOA) (ft/s) (none) (ft•lbs) (s) (in) (MOA)
0 -1.5 *** 0.0 *** 3257.0 2.917 4239.1 0.000 0.0 ***
100 -0.0 -0.0 0.5 0.5 3051.8 2.733 3721.7 0.095 16.7 16.0
200 -2.2 -1.1 2.2 1.1 2856.0 2.558 3259.6 0.197 34.6 16.5
300 -8.7 -2.8 5.1 1.6 2668.8 2.390 2846.1 0.305 53.8 17.1
400 -20.1 -4.8 9.4 2.2 2489.1 2.230 2475.9 0.422 74.2 17.7

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I feel the same way about smokeless powder guns.

crazy

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
IMHO, it is likely that on ALL continents more and bigger 'game' has been taken with cartridges that, by todays 'standards', would be referred to as pedestrian, than with the Magnum stable of cartridges............

doesn't change anything, but it just is............... IMHO

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can easily put it in an equation.

For example, 270 Win + 10 grains +100 fps = 7mm Rem mag

Now, is the price of 10 grains of bullet weight and 100 fps additional weight worth wearing pink underwear?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know I'm probably gonna get hammered for this, but to this day I don't understand the all in "magnum" crowd. Especially for deer hunting but in my view it could even extend to bear and elk except in cases of having the same energy at greater distances. - - - -
The firearms that others own and use are none of your business so you are not required to 'understand' them. - - - you have missed the point, which is stop being a judgemental prick and leave other peoples choices alone
ShadeTree - now you went and did it - you attracted a guy (the guy?) who does not address the topic at hand but who will tell you what is and is not your business, what or what not you are required to understand, and will judge you as a "judgemental (sic) prick". Seemingly he thinks he knows you well, but did you have to bring him into this?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sigh...you just don't understand.

JS, I think you're over-understanding the post. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (2500HD, 270wsmnutt, 260Remguy, 1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,780 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,130
Posts18,502,601
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.