Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I think it would be good marketing, to advertise less trailers. Less of those kind of people there.

GB1

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I also question, it was so cold. My first year was 2004, and I never took my jacket off, was upper 30s at night. But people like to say coldest or this or that. Maybe it was, some year has to be.

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Zerk
I think it would be good marketing, to advertise less trailers. Less of those kind of people there.
You really ARE a dumbph-uk, ain't ya?

And, if you had 2 cents worth of back-search, you'd note I'm drivin' a '14 HD Ultra Classic...i.e., a full bagger and with a very comfy seat.. But if a person's suffering from fairly severe arthritis, a bike trip can only be so long.. Some day, I hope you get a good dose - maybe then you'll get a freakin' CLUE...

FOAD..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
LIke I sad, 675, would be less than 3 day bike for you. I would rather do that.

Curious did you do the ride before? I have sound people just are not really comfortable riding. No matter what you do. You care driving 675 miles in an auto, but can't break it up on Ultra.

But you are right, I don't know the whole situation. But have seen it. As far as pain goes, buddy I got a clue.

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've done 735 in one day, and wasn't all that tired.. Could have gone another 100. I've done the full ride (from house-to-rally-to-home) every year from '92 - 2012 on the bike - 650 miles+ each way (stayed in motel in Belle Fourche).. I'd leave home at 3:00 am and be at motel by 4:00 pm same day. No biggie.. Have to stop every 150-200 simply due to needing gas - 6 gallons only goes so far..

I can still do long rides. But wife's infirmities now prevent that if she's along..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Redneck

But one thing about the Rapid City/Stugis area is the very real probability of near-daily storms in the afternoon - many with hail in 'em. And the hail there can easily be big enough to knock yer azz right off the saddle.. IIRC, that bad storm that hit the Throttle a few years ago had cars stopping on I-90 to allow bikers to get in the back seats out of the hail.. Also, IIRC, one or two died in that storm.. Tennis-ball-sized hail can do that to ya.. eek

When I went on my western vacation a few years back, we juuuuuuuust missed a storm with BASEBALL sized hail just east of Rapid City. Some of the hail went THROUGH cars! You'd be dead on a bike. I can't imagine it.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LIke I sad, 675, would be less than 3 day bike for you. I would rather do that.

Curious did you do the ride before? I have sound people just are not really comfortable riding. No matter what you do. You care driving 675 miles in an auto, but can't break it up on Ultra.

But you are right, I don't know the whole situation. But have seen it. As far as pain goes, buddy I got a clue.

Been to the rally twice. shortest route is 1000 miles from here.
Rode once, trailered once.
Life long buddy had back surgery and could only ride about two hours a day, We still had a wonderful trip, Yellowstone, Cody Museum, Custer battle site, and more, trailer and all.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
2015 my son (220lbs) and I rode in to Sturgis about 2200 hrs in the pouring rain. We had everything lashed down on my 96 Electra Glide. His Sportster had a failure of the rear wheel bearing. Everything was soaked because we did not have a waterproof duffel bag. So the tent and sleeping bags and all our clothes were wet. Putting up the tent in the dark and thunderstorm made some memories.
All night I was kept awake by the generators and motorhome.
Perfect!

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whelennut,

My wife always asks me why I have a few lawn/leaf sized garbage bags in the saddle bags of the Harley.

That's why.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My son bought a V Rod and I have a Gold Wing now. I doubt if we are doing that again. I don't even think we saw any tits last time.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B3

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Can't find any tits closer to home?

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by whelennut
My son bought a V Rod and I have a Gold Wing now. I doubt if we are doing that again. I don't even think we saw any tits last time.

You must have not looked very hard. laugh I saw some driving back and forth from work.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope every one had a great time.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Ran into a guy that was going home from it at a gas station. He'd had to lay his bike down to avoid a deer on the way home, got separated from the bike and did a nice slide down the highway for a bit. Bike and him survived with only bruises, thank God he'd been bright enough to wear his leathers.

When somebody says they had to lay the bike down, what they are really saying is that they did not have enough practice or ability to use their brakes correctly when they were suddenly needed; they therefore instead locked the brakes up and caused the bike to fall over. You can always stop a motorcycle faster when it's upright on its rubber tires than when the metal is skidding along the road. Saying "I had to lay it down" is just a way of trying to gloss over the real cause of the crash.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
The fastest way to stop any moving object is to run it into an immobile one. Learned that in physics a looooong time ago.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guess Sturgis used to be a bike rally, definitely a trailer/motorhome rally these days. Word from locals is, attendance was so low this year there were no backups when driving thru town or on the interstate, but plenty of 3 wheelers and trailers in attendance. As my old buddy (with patch and rocker) used to say "I see a lot of bikes but no bikers".

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Glad you made it RN.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I also question, it was so cold. My first year was 2004, and I never took my jacket off, was upper 30s at night. But people like to say coldest or this or that. Maybe it was, some year has to be.

Didn't I tell you to STFU like a month ago?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (35, 406_SBC, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 41rem, 16penny, 9 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,109
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.