Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Dre
Tikka SS in regular 7mag

Yep, he could go Tikka Ultralight in 7mag and have a true mountain weight rifle that would likely shoot better than the Weatherby. It would cost half as much for the gun and cost half as much to shoot.

I think you're picking up what I'm putting down !

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
HR IC

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dre
Tikka SS in regular 7mag

Yep, he could go Tikka Ultralight in 7mag and have a true mountain weight rifle that would likely shoot better than the Weatherby. It would cost half as much for the gun and cost half as much to shoot.

Are you speaking from experience or basing this on internet hearsay? I owned own both rifles and I can tell you they are both great shooting rifles and accurate out of the box without making 82 different adjustments.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Dre
Tikka SS in regular 7mag

Are you speaking from experience or basing this on internet hearsay? I owned own both rifles and I can tell you they are both great shooting rifles and accurate out of the box without making 82 different adjustments.

I've shot the Tikka and had friends that owned them. I've not had the Weatherby Ultralight or had much experience with it. I thought I wanted one pretty bad a few years ago but I let the reports of bad accuracy keep me from buying one. Regardless,I don't think you could make the argument that the Weatherby would be supremely more accurate, and the Tikka would still be close to a pound lighter and cheaper to feed.

I am glad to hear the good report on the Weatherby,and I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing it. As I said I thought I wanted one a while ago, but I've since handled some and different rifles and just prefer the stock designs of others over the Weatherby.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 08/30/17.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'm the anomoly here. I actually own a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in .270 Wby Mag. I have also owned the ULs in 7mm Wby and .257 Wby. All were well under 1" and with some loads would print around 1/2". I also have owned an Accumark in 7mm Wby Mag. It shot bug holes with everything you fed it but you do not want to be humping that thing around the mountains.

I also have an older Vanguard in .270 Wby Mag. A beautiful and fine shooting rifle but will not handle the pressures the Mark V will.

When I shoot my 270 UL off the bench, I DO NOT wait minutes between shots. As fast as I can cycle the bolt (and that's damn fast with a MK V), and settle back in on target, I squeeze off the next round. Just like if you were hunting, right? Shots 1&2 invariably go into one ragged hole and shot 3 will print up to a half inch out.

The rifle is well balanced, has a crazy strong and smooth action and is a joy to carry all day long. Can't say enough great things about the rifle and the caliber is still king of the 270s. Recoil with this outfit is very manageable. Mine wears a Swarovski 4-12 Scope.

I'd buy it again...and again...and again...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fischer
I'm the anomoly here. I actually own a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in .270 Wby Mag. I have also owned the ULs in 7mm Wby and .257 Wby. All were well under 1" and with some loads would print around 1/2". I also have owned an Accumark in 7mm Wby Mag. It shot bug holes with everything you fed it but you do not want to be humping that thing around the mountains.

I also have an older Vanguard in .270 Wby Mag. A beautiful and fine shooting rifle but will not handle the pressures the Mark V will.

When I shoot my 270 UL off the bench, I DO NOT wait minutes between shots. As fast as I can cycle the bolt (and that's damn fast with a MK V), and settle back in on target, I squeeze off the next round. Just like if you were hunting, right? Shots 1&2 invariably go into one ragged hole and shot 3 will print up to a half inch out.

The rifle is well balanced, has a crazy strong and smooth action and is a joy to carry all day long. Can't say enough great things about the rifle and the caliber is still king of the 270s. Recoil with this outfit is very manageable. Mine wears a Swarovski 4-12 Scope.

I'd buy it again...and again...and again...

And do you shoot factory ammo?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
And I see stock design mentioned in this thread too. I admit that I originally didn't care for the looks of the Weatherby stock design, the "Monte Carlo". An unfortunate name choice, I think. Once you understand the reasons it looks the way it does (mitigating recoil), it suddenly gets awful pretty and once you spend some time behind one, it makes all kinds of sense. The raised comb puts your eye where it needs to be on a scoped rifle, the angle of the comb is designed to direct recoil away from your face. The flat bottom on the forend makes for a more stable rest. I'm probably missing something. Still not my favorite look - but, goofy name (Monte Carlo) aside, Roy Weatherby was far ahead of his time with this stock, among other things.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
SKane - I shoot factory and handloads but so far, with the .270 UL it's been only Weatherby factory ammo. Those will be neck sized and reloaded eventually. It may be hard to improve on the factory performance and accuracy though. They do a pretty good job. The loads I mentioned, 130 gr spitzer, were clocking an average of 3550 fps over my chrono. I'm getting almost identical stats with Weatherby 130 gr partitions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good to know - thanks!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
A quick look at Gunbroker shows Weatherby factory ammo in 130 gr spritzer or spire point at around $36-$38. This stuff is clocking 3550 fps out of my UL. Partition or TTSX will run about $70-$85 for Wby factory ammo. Typically, I can't quite equal factory ammo velocity with my handloads, but I can get pretty close. Was the same deal with 257 Wby ammo. The 7mm Wby, I never had any factory ammo for. I don't know about anybody else, but even if I was forced to use factory ammo all the time, it's still going to be the smallest cost in my hunting trips.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yep,

I have a Weatherby Ultralight in 270 Weatherby and it shoots great with factory ammo. Pretty much the same as yours. I have killed an ark full of deer and hogs with it and so far nothing has taken a step. Not one,not ever. I use nothing but weatherby 130 grain factory loads on game. They are going around 3500 fps and the effect on game is like a lightening strike.

I have killed a bunch of critters with a 7mm Remington magnum and the kills have not alwaiys been instantaneous. The extra impact velocity does seem to make a difference.

Last edited by ruraldoc; 08/31/17.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My shooting buddy has The Arroyo RC 270 wby and it is a real sweet rig , shoots 129lrx at 3500 fps , Not a weatherby rifle but i have a McWhorter in 270 wby and I love it . I shoot the 129 lrx at 3480 fps and will group the at 3" at 470 yards.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The guy wants a 270 Wby so that is what he should get, it seems like those who actually use them really like them. I have wanted to have a 270 Wby and came close a couple of times to doing it, going to have to scratch that itch one day.............

Oh and I sure wouldn't want to lug around an Accumark around the hills, the Ultralight is the one he should buy in my opinion.

Last edited by gerry35; 08/30/17.

Gerry.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ultralightweight Bee

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I do like the danged 270's....

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Fotis
ultralightweight Bee

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
...........................Fotis.........Along with a few other rifles and cartridge choices I have been considering smaller than 30 caliber, owning a second Mk 5 but chambered in a 270 Wby is a short list possibility as I have always liked the 270 caliber.

Your above 3 shot group is very impressive. Velocity is too! However I'm curious about your charge of 71 gr RL22 behind a 150 gr LRAB. I take it that you worked up to that load and have no pressure signs?

Nosler lists their max RL22 load behind 150 LRAB as 66.5 gr.... Lyman shows 67.0 gr RL22 behind a 150 gr Barnes.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those long range abs sure are soft. My 6.5x47 pua shoots the 129s at 2920fps and there isn't much left of the bullet under 100 yards. Not sure about the 150s at at 3285, although they will be slower in colder temps if that's a summer chrony read. I run the 140 accubonds at just shy of 3400fps in my 60cm (23.6") Sauer 202 with 7977.

Cheers

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had no issues at all my friend....

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (160user, arky65, 35, 10ring1, 7887mm08, ar33c9, 11 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,209
Posts18,503,888
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.