Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Ahhh

The weekly chainsaw thread. "My dick, chainsaw, f350, my plastic remmy700 is bigger, better or more shiny than yours thread"

Must be Monday, I forget....i'm retarded.

...as is your alter BossHawg

FJB & FJT

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Ahhh

The weekly chainsaw thread. "My dick, chainsaw, f350, my plastic remmy700 is bigger, better or more shiny than yours thread"

Must be Monday, I forget....i'm retired.

And while the others compare chainsaws, you show that you're the biggest a$$ho1e of the bunch with no competition.

I can't imagine how miserable your life must be to spread so much misery.
a$$holes are wannabes

Im a dikkhead!
....with psych issues lol

With that we can agree.

Montana MOFO
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 029 runs like a champ. I am not confident the oiler is operating properly. I've cleaned the ports etc. but I still don't think its oiling the bar adequately.

The oiler on a Stihl is a nylon worm gear and a sacrificial part. It's easy to replace.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by JOG
The 029 runs like a champ. I am not confident the oiler is operating properly. I've cleaned the ports etc. but I still don't think its oiling the bar adequately.

The oiler on a Stihl is a nylon worm gear and a sacrificial part. It's easy to replace.

Make sure the outlet hole is free and clear. Sawdust can pack it closed. I rebuilt the oil pump on my 009L. Diaphragm was ruptured.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I too was looking for a smaller saw ...I just couldn't stomach buying a stihl or husky that was a throw away....non the less they are great saws ..my little ms 180 runs and cuts like a champ....I just wanted somthing rebuild able....I chose a Dolmar 420.....wow what a saw..starts crazy easy ...like 1/4 pull and it runs......I used it last fall for most of my wood cutting...this summer I sent it over to miller mod saw and had it ported and his special touch.....wow this thin really rips now..

IC B2

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ya fix the stihl, maybe you just need to adjust the oiler,, or the gear is pooched, try adjusting it first.
Make sure you get a 3/8 chain, not the small chain. If your cutting logs 12-16" you need at least a 60cc saw. If its smaller wood then less cc is ok. stihl or husky but dont get the little chain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blow air back thru the oil line
Check the hole in the bar.
They are making them smaller. Use a dremel and open it.
Thin the oil with a little diesel

That 029 is a brick. Heavy and more than most need.

A brick is tough to break. Best selling Stihl ever.

Sharp chain helps bearings and clutch.

Last edited by 257_X_50; 10/03/17.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They main thing is a sharp chain, can't stand a dull chain.

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by hanco

What's your recommendation for a simple way to sharpen a chain?

Montana MOFO
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by adam32
All homeowner grade saws...step up and get a pro grade saw...you won't regret it...

THIS

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Originally Posted by adam32
All homeowner grade saws...step up and get a pro grade saw...you won't regret it...

THIS

+4
There is a huge difference.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ahhh

Must be Monday, I forget....i'm retired.

Retired? Not sure that’s exactly what i’d call it.

"I'll beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. Play for blood, remember?" Doc Holliday
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by hanco

What's your recommendation for a simple way to sharpen a chain?

Dremel tool with the chain sharpening kit and the proper diameter stone or Harbor Freight chain sharpener. I use both.

IMO fix the Stihl and get a smaller/lighter saw.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got one of these and it's worth every penny.

[Linked Image]

The key is set it up to just barely spark the chain and then advance the chain a bit the next time through. You'll never burn the chain if you limit it to light cuts. The advantage of a grinder like this is that each tooth will be ground to the same length, angle and depth and you can set the depth gauge to the same depth for each tooth. I.e. you get a professionally sharpened chain and it's paid for itself after 10 sharpenings. I've had commercial shops grind off 1/2 the life of the chain and charge me 1/2 the price of a new chain. Unless you're driving the chain into the dirt and ruining the teeth you should be able to sharpen a chain about 10 times.

I've used files and a dremel attachment, no more. Go cutting with 3 or 4 loops, change whenever they dull or you kiss the dirt. When you get home sharpen it properly vs. buggering the teeth with a file in the field.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got a Husky 445 and a Stihl MS 290 Farm Boss. I bought the Husky because the Farm Boss is a big heavy biitch and I got tired of using that tank for limbing etc.. Turns out the little 445 runs like a raped ape and goes through logs 12-16" in diameter just as fast or maybe a little faster than the Farm Boss. I've been leaving the old Stihl in the garage and using the 445 for most of my firewood for three years now. I cut about 14-16 face cords a year so that little saw has been through roughly 45 face cords so far and it still runs and cuts like a champ.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
having two saws is a good thing. I have 3 and am happy

Yes. Once started into a large tree and discovered some rot issues. Did not want to abandon it leaving a dangerous situation, and it took the 3rd saw to eventually get it down. Had to pull the head from the first two as the bars were buried and stuck.

1Minute
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Do your self a favor and buy a real saw .More folks get hurt with small homeowners saws that are under powered and try to make them do big saw work.Always have a least 2 saws with you when you are cutting,the reason is obvious.I have three of these Husky 372XPs with different length bars for different jobs.Always wear a good pair of Chaps,leather gloves and helmet.save yourself from a trip to the ER from kickback ,cause it will happen.Huntz
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...ainsaw-71cc-X-Torq-with-20-Bar-Chain.axd

Last edited by Huntz; 10/05/17.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Homeowners get hurt with small saws because most homeowners own small saws and don't know how to safely operate any chainsaw. As to the sorry sound of homeowner saws droning on forever, it's not because a 30-40cc saw won't cut. It's because a dull chain won't cut. A big yes on chaps, gloves, ear protection, eye protection and a helmet.

If most of the trees one's going to fell and buck are 12-16", a 50cc pro saw will do the job all day without wearing you out. If the small trees are 20" at the butt then you're in 70-80cc territory.

I used to use an 80cc saw for everything.

[Linked Image]

Yes, it's a cutting sumbitch, but you're worn out and your back hurts at the end of the day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
face cords

must be a NY thing........

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1_deuce, 16gage, 204guy, 17CalFan, 35 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,861
Posts18,497,178
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.