Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Felt like somebody hit me across the lower back with a bat. Waves of pain.. Burning sensation of course.. Started drinking lots of water, 3 hours later I think I'll live. Must have been a baby one, either that or the second wave is waiting to arrive.

I think I'll be drinking LOTS of water from now on. That's not something I want to encounter again.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wife almost croaked from one that she passed and became infected. 6 days in the Hospital. Nothing to sneeze at so take care...

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought I was passing a burning Volkswagen. Turned out not to be that big. Life-changing and mind-bending. The sudden vomiting added an intriguing dimension as well.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had one that got stuck in my ureter for about a month and a half. Thank goodness it only hurt for the first week and a half and the last few hours.

Nurse told me that she'd had babies and kidney stones. Said the stones were far worse. I can believe her.

Last edited by Steve; 11/16/17.

Carpe' Scrotum
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Week and a half? Oh man... Serious drugs would be necessary.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve
I had one that got stuck in my ureter for about a month and a half. Thank goodness it only hurt for the first week and a half and the last few hours.

Nurse told me that she'd had babies and kidney stones. Said the stones were far worse. I can believe her.

I've had em take months to make the journey from the kidney to the bladder, some make it in a matter of days. Sometimes they get stuck for good and have to be retrieved.

The last one got hung up in the urethra, first time that ever happened. Now fellas, that's an attention getter.!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I was in a bar watching the World Series a few years ago. Went to the restroom and there was a guy laying on the floor passed out. I told the owner and he called the sheriff to report a drunk down. It turned out the guy wasn’t drunk but had a large kidney stone pass and had lost consciousness from the pain and hit the floor!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Dilaudid. Lots.

Carpe' Scrotum
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had them 3 separate times............ouch

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Dilaudid. Lots.

Oldest had one that took 6 hours to pass. Morphine did nothing, dilaudid finally helped.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
I was in a bar watching the World Series a few years ago. Went to the restroom and there was a guy laying on the floor passed out. I told the owner and he called the sheriff to report a drunk down. It turned out the guy wasn’t drunk but had a large kidney stone pass and had lost consciousness from the pain and hit the floor!

Did the Giants win? Trick Question.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I pulled out of a guys shop with a 25 foot boat in tow and got hit with a stone. Not much doubt about what is going on. I was alone and had to drive 50 miles pulling the boat with what felt like a red hot boulder heading south.
I was burned when I was in high school by an explosion and developed the ability to ignore pain for a pretty good while. It wears you out though. I pulled the boat over to the side of the road and it took me about 15 minutes to get in the "zone".
I walked into the emergency room the nurse asked me what was going on. When I told her she couldn't believe I was still standing or that I had driven in to the hospital. I told her that I had to drop off my boat first. She said that she had given birth to three children and two stones. She said the stones hurt more and you got nothing when it was over.

Good luck with yours!

Harry
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Headed up for 3 days of hunting in the boonies in the morning if this doesn't reappear. Do not want to be 5 hours away, but hunting has to happen. Freezer is empty..

Was slated to head out this AM until work got stupid and scheduled a meeting I had to be at. Thank God for that meeting.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Between about 2007 and 2014 I was passing kidney stones at the rate of one every other week. A lifetime of bad hydration had built up what my doc described as a kidney stone farm in my kidney (only the left side ever had a problem). He said that as long as they were passing, it was safer to let them pass naturally than to go in to try to remove them. Some of them were pretty easy to pass, others left me puking and passed out from the pain. And the first time you fill a toilet bowl up with blood as you're pissing, you sure do pay attention.

I stopped drinking soda and started to drink 80 or more ounces of water a day, and sure enough, the stones have basically disappeared (I still get one maybe once a year, but compared to how it was, it's nothing).

If I were in your position I'd bring some tylenol type of med and LOTS of water but still go hunting. If you can also bring something that you can use as a warm compress that always helped me with mine...a hot water bottle or even a heated rock in a towel right over the kidney keeps it from hurting too much.

Last edited by Remsen; 11/16/17.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
BTDT, Lithotripsy, cystoscope, the whole works.

If it's a calcium oxylate stone (most are) there is an OTC product that helps control the production of those stones.

Find out the type and if calcium, try Theralith. It is not a medicine, no Rx needed.

It is Vit B6, Magnesium and Potassium. Sodium and Calcium are needed to form those stones. The kidney has a reciprocal relationship Mg++ with Ca++, K+ with Na+. If the kidney is excreting Mg++, Ca++ excretion is inhibited, same for K+ and Na+. I've not had a recurrence, have taken this product regularly for years.

Getting dehydrated can sometimes trigger an attack.

www.theralogix.com/sp/theralogix-theralith-xr

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

5 steps for preventing kidney stones
Daniel Pendick
Posted October 04, 2013, 12:30 pm , Updated May 09, 2017, 3:26 pm
Daniel Pendick, Former Executive Editor, Harvard Men's Health Watch
preventing kidney stones

If you’ve ever had a kidney stone, you surely remember it. The pain can be unbearable, coming in waves until the tiny stone passes through your urinary plumbing and out of the body. For many, kidney stones aren’t a one-time thing: in about half of people who have had one, another appears within seven years without preventive measures.

Preventing kidney stones isn’t complicated, but it does take some determination.

Kidney stones form when certain chemicals become concentrated enough in the urine to form crystals. The crystals grow into larger masses (stones), which can make their way through the urinary tract. If the stone gets stuck somewhere and blocks the flow of urine, it causes pain.

Most stones occur when calcium combines with one of two substances: oxalate or phosphorous. Stones can also form from uric acid, which forms as the body metabolizes protein.
Kidney stonesHow to avoid kidney stones

Preventing kidney stones means preventing the conditions that support their formation. I asked Dr. Melanie Hoenig, an assistant professor of medicine at Harvard-affiliated Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, for the top ways to prevent kidney stones. Here are her recommendations:

Drink plenty of water: Drinking extra water dilutes the substances in urine that lead to stones. Strive to drink enough fluids to pass 2 liters of urine a day, which is roughly eight standard 8-ounce cups. It may help to include some citrus beverages, like lemonade and orange juice. The citrate in these beverages helps block stone formation.

Get the calcium you need: Getting too little calcium in your diet can cause oxalate levels to rise and cause kidney stones. To prevent this, make sure to take in an amount of calcium appropriate to your age. Ideally, obtain calcium from foods, since some studies have linked taking calcium supplements to kidney stones. Men 50 and older should get 1,000 milligrams (mg) of calcium per day, along with 800 to 1,000 international units (IU) of vitamin D to help the body absorb the calcium.

Reduce sodium: A high-sodium diet can trigger kidney stones because it increases the amount of calcium in your urine. So a low-sodium diet is recommended for the stone prone. Current guidelines suggest limiting total daily sodium intake to 2,300 mg. If sodium has contributed to kidney stones in the past, try to reduce your daily intake to 1,500 mg. This will also be good for your blood pressure and heart.

Limit animal protein: Eating too much animal protein, such as red meat, poultry, eggs, and seafood, boosts the level of uric acid and could lead to kidney stones. A high-protein diet also reduces levels of citrate, the chemical in urine that helps prevent stones from forming. If you’re prone to stones, limit your daily meat intake to a quantity that is no bigger than a pack of playing cards. This is also a heart-healthy portion.

Avoid stone-forming foods: Beets, chocolate, spinach, rhubarb, tea, and most nuts are rich in oxalate, and colas are rich in phosphate, both of which can contribute to kidney stones. If you suffer from stones, your doctor may advise you to avoid these foods or to consume them in smaller amounts.

For everyone else, particular foods and drinks are unlikely to trigger kidney stones unless consumed in extremely high amounts. Some studies have shown that men who take high doses of vitamin C in the form of supplements are at slightly higher risk of kidney stones. That may be because the body converts vitamin C into oxalate.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/5-steps-for-preventing-kidney-stones-201310046721

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've passed a few of them over the last 3 years, they can hurt.My last time was less than a month ago which was bad enough to put me in the hospital for a few hours. The dilaudid took away the pain but it was given to me without asking otherwise I would have refused it.I deal with drug users enough in my job that I don't want to have to live with one 24/7. Pain meds tend to grab ahold of me and I do everything I can to not take them.
'
In addition to some sort of pain relief, get your doctor to prescribe some Flomax or some such medication to dilate the urinary tract. I found that to be of much greater benefit than pain killers as the latter leave me feeling hung over, ornery, and wishing for another to greater or lesser degrees depending on the med.I was given several doses this last time of which I only needed one. The rest were put aside for the next attack which should keep me from having to visit the emergency room.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
When I moved to the Middle East the company warned of the same being quite common and gave recommendations that would reduce the likelihood. Hearing and reading about stones I followed their recommendations to a tee and never had an issue. I cannot imagine.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They sound truly terrible. Never had a kidney stone. However, I have had several gallbladder attacks- that was by far the most pain I've ever been in. However, kidney stones sound like they are actually more painful.

Last edited by 340boy; 11/16/17.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I've had 4 incidents of Kidney stones. First one was the worst. Came with the sudden nausea, throwing up, I had no idea what was going on. Wife took me to the ER, and they gave me a shot which caused the pain to subside and it did for a while, but after that when the pain would start again I took Hydrocodone. I take those pills with me anytime I go out of town. I don't want to go through that again. Last time wasn't long ago, I had a dr. appt, the next day so I suffered through it. Dr. got me right into X-ray and they found it. Said it was a big one, Far as I can tell they mostly hurt when they are moving through the kidney. There are several types of stones, I'm fortunate, that mine is from getting dehydrated, even tough I try real hard not to let that happen. If you can catch a stone (they give you a screen to urinate in) then you can take it to the dr who has it analyzed and they can tell you what you have to do to keep it from happening. One of the stones is one with sharp edges and that is a killer. Fortunately I haven't had one of those. Only time I take the Hydrocodone is when I know I've got a stone. I don't need the stuff otherwise and am not willing to take it for any other reason.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 14,430 guests, and 1,039 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,167
Posts18,542,956
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.