-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We've always had a chest freezer, mostly for meats and other "longer-term storage" of bulk purchased items. Bought our first one used in @ 1977 - a 1961 15 CF Kenmore. Moved it to 5 homes including a 500 mile move in 2002. Replaced it with a 15 CF Frigedaire about 5 years ago. I/we use heavier cardboard boxes to help organize the contents, but plastic stackables sounds like they would be better. Never lost any contents even with a couple of week long power outages . . . keeping the freezer nearly full helps with that possible occurrance.

YMMV

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I like chest freezers.

I read a bit ago that most are made by the same couple factories, just rebranded. I have one from Costco that was pretty cheap. Small 7 or 9 CF model. Manual defrost. Not a big deal every couple years. The second is a larger freezer I bought at a yard sale. 15+ CF. It’s probably 30-40years old and works great. I’d bet it outlasts the new one.

Uprights are great, but you’ll still bury things, harder to use all the space, and schit falls out when you open the door. A couple milk crates in a chest freezer help keep it organized and easy to access things.

This is the one we have and has worked well.
Costco, Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowes (I think) were all just rebadged units of the same mfg.

Our chest freezer works fine if you don't have everybody in the house digging thru it - messing chit up.

The milk crate idea sounds like a winner though.

I am due for a replacement chest freezer, this one will get two top baskets and everything below will be vac packed and dropped into plastic buckets.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
L
LFD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Chest for many reasons, manual defrost take out meat defrost in about 5 min with water hose I know what I have in Freezer. Prefer a Chest

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone run a small chest freezer on a generator? I've seen a couple on trailers with generators and camo atvs on the back in MT and WY,. I thought that would be pretty handy to keep birds on a long hunting trip.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We never used a generator. When we hunted Colorado, we hauled a small chest back and forth.
Frozen, precooked meals out, quick easy homemade suppers. In disposable tin pans, easy cleanup.
Meat was brought back in quarters. Well chilled, put in the freezer which had a number of frozen gallon
jugs of watef. If it was warm out, some dry ice put on top. Meat was always very cold when we got home.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
We never used a generator. When we hunted Colorado, we hauled a small chest back and forth.
Frozen, precooked meals out, quick easy homemade suppers. In disposable tin pans, easy cleanup.
Meat was brought back in quarters. Well chilled, put in the freezer which had a number of frozen gallon
jugs of watef. If it was warm out, some dry ice put on top. Meat was always very cold when we got home.

Amazing isn’t it how much food you can bring when it’s actually precooked and deep frozen beforehand in ziplocks. Not to mention the smaller amount of ice you need to keep it from perishing. Also bring a 200 qt chest filled with sleeping bags, jackets etc. All that comes out and game quarters go in with a layer of card board and dry ice in top.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Anjin
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
About a year ago, replaced my chest freezer with an upright, defrosting frigidaire. Can't remember how big it is but holds a whole processed elk, 2 processed deer and a bunch of other game (ducks, grouse, fish). Dang nice. So glad I don't have to bend over and dig anymore.

I think I may have seen one of your earlier posts, since I remember the part about the elk and two deer.

As a result of that, and recommendations from a couple of hunting buddies, who say items get lost in the chest freezers, I bought a 16.6 cu ft Frigidaire frost-free upright. I got it during the Labor Day sale, though I expect there may be other sales.

I bought the one with only one storage crate. I found that I can get perfect sized ones very cheaply, either polymer or wire, at Walmart and thereby save at least 50 bucks, compared to the model that comes with more crates!.

Now I'm ready to bring home an elk! grin

Norm

Good deal. I will try and get a picture of mine and put on here. The LED lights are great!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (219 Wasp, 10ring1, 1minute, 1badf350, 160user, 12savage, 54 invisible), 2,288 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,299
Posts18,505,349
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.