-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for Fenix. I have 3 HL25 models that are worth their weight in gold.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The December issue of Outdoor Life reviewed 9 of them and their pick was the Black Diamond Storm. Cheaper was the great buy Cyclops HL210 in second place at less than 1/2 the cost of the Black Diamond Storm.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I've been using the coast led headlamps costco carries for the past year or so.

[Linked Image]

AAA's 405 lumens adjustable beam. Seem to have decent battery life and do a decent job of seeing where I'm going when walking the dog at night.

It used to be you had to pay big bucks for a decent headlamp, not so much anymore.

Do these have multiple brightness settings?

Look at all the AK guys chiming in, who would have thought? :-) My old worn out petzl goes through batteries like candy. Not fun when I work in a dark incubation room all winter long.

I'm assuming it's this one: https://www.costco.com/Coast-Head-Lamp-2-pack.product.100365511.html

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've had a 'no-name' LED headlamp for several years now.
The band only has 'LED' on it.
Rechargeable, 3 settings[hi, low, strobe] and the lens is adjustable from spot to flood.
4-5 years old now and works perfectly.
Son gave and said it was $19.....all I know.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

[Linked Image]

AAA's 405 lumens adjustable beam. Seem to have decent battery life and do a decent job of seeing where I'm going when walking the dog at night.

It used to be you had to pay big bucks for a decent headlamp, not so much anymore.

Dimond store?
Where do they have them displayed?

Yes, they move stuff around so you'll have to ask or hunt them down. Sometimes by the batteries and tools, sometimes by the entrance.

IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have been using the Coast headlamps; they are a very good value. They offer many models, I like the HL7 which operates on three AAA's. Battery pack located in the rear with a large slider to control brightness, you can adjust the angle of the beam by rotating the adjustment ring on the lense.
https://coastportland.com/product/hl7/

Good luck.

Eric

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Look at all the AK guys chiming in, who would have thought? :-) My old worn out petzl goes through batteries like candy. Not fun when I work in a dark incubation room all winter long.

Yes, variable brightness.

My son has a top of the line Petzl, and my daughter got a pretty good Black Dimond. I've had Petzl headlamps for over 30 years. I'm not going to claim these headlamps are fully equal to those, but considering I can put one of these in every car, the boat and have one by the front door for the price of one mid range BD headlamp, it's a no brainer. A couple sets of batteries will last a winter of night time dog walks, so I'd say I'd say pretty good battery life.

I've had several of the cheap multi led headlamps that were mediocre, this things the real deal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All of the Coasts including the HL7 use a emitter in the 5.2k-5.5k Kelvin, which is far too blue for me. Working from a 2.4v module format is the real problem, a 2x AA would significantly improve run time & driver voltage. Depending on use, for casual it's fine...for blood trailing or run time it's total chiit.

But it's priced accordingly.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Does the green light attract bugs?
Be nice to have color available, that doesn't.
Fenix Co. has stated: "We will not be bringing out, a yellow headlamp",
which indicates, that, yellow has been asked for.
PIA, sittng, trying to get a task done, with bugs buzzin around yer face.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Zebra, no comparison

Last edited by hardin284; 12/01/17. Reason: Typo

Hardin284
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really like the PTec Remix lights. User friendly, and well engineered, except for the battery compartment latch. They break if dropped. And I just wore out my 3rd.

Broke the battery latch on my last one within a week. dropped it on the vinyl kitchen floor. from knee height.
Used it for 2 years with the battery door gorilla taped. The switch eventually wore out but I'll still call it a good light for the price. I think the remix may be the best I ever used.

Just got a nite-ize radiant 200 and it's a good lite. The switch is engineered a bit differently than the remix but still very good. Battery life may be an issue. I generally got a month out of a set of batteries on the remix. just changed batteries in the radiant 200 after 2 weeks. But that was with the batteries that came installed.
The swivel that brings the light focus down and in might be a little lighter duty than I like. time will tell. Price was very attractive on Battery Junction and I'll call it a very good light for the money.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Last edited by Mannlicher; 12/01/17.

Sam......

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I should have added some details.

In addition to hunting and general purpose use, this application also includes occasional search and rescue volunteer work.

So, features that are important are the ability to change batteries quickly and easily, common used battery sizes, long run life, very durable, waterproof, dust proof, and drop/crush resistant.

Rechargeables and odd ball battery sizes are not good choices for this need.

Essentially need the equivalent of a Nightforce made flashlight.

4AA's is really hard to beat for this purpose.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jeffbird

In addition to hunting and general purpose use, this application also includes occasional search and rescue volunteer work.

So, features that are important are the ability to change batteries quickly and easily, common used battery sizes, long run life, very durable, waterproof, dust proof, and drop/crush resistant.

It's all about burn time & lumens, along with dependability and waterproof ....and you getting none of that with most of the above choices.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
You really need to check out the Fenix HP15.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by jeffbird

It's all about burn time & lumens, along with dependability and waterproof ....and you getting none of that with most of the above choices.

Which one do you recommend?

The Lupine looks interesting. Are they more durable than the Icon?

The Black Diamond Icon has worked fine and held up well, but definitely open to trying something else.

I know there are plenty of flashlight enthusiasts so thought it worth asking.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How many lumens do you need? My Lupine is the Piko. Mine, an older version, has 900 lumens max and( not counting battery) doesn't weigh much more than most of the others mentioned in this thread? Not sure on the current MSRP, but is way below a grand?
You can get longer life batteries. My larger battery, a 5.6 Ah, gives me close to 20 hrs at 300 lumens-nothing to sneeze at.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Don’t need super bright from the headlight. The vast majority of time the Icon is in the mid-zone, which probably is low 100’s.

edited post asking about Lupine, only need mid-100’s, but upper 100’s should be more than adequate.

Durability, battery life and common batteries are important.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

[Linked Image]

I'm assuming it's this one: https://www.costco.com/Coast-Head-Lamp-2-pack.product.100365511.html

That's it. 3 brightness settings & bezel adjustment from flood to bullet. Red light if you want it. I bought a 2 pack this fall and have been very impressed so far. Hard to beat for the money.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bought this to just see and was very impressed. It uses 18650 rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries. Here is an ebay package that includes a charger and battery. The lumens claim is not accurate but these are very bright and are adjustable.

Link to light.

Link to Batteries.

Link to batteries.

These are the same batteries that are used in laptops, when a laptop battery pack goes bad it is usually only one or two batteries that are bad and the rest are good. I tear them apart meter the batteries and save the good ones.

You'll want to buy a few batteries to start with and then just take bad battery packs apart to save up a good supply of batteries. Battery life is exceptional and they do not lose much sitting around not being used.

This thing is so bright if someone walks up on you in the dark they may have thunk they have accidentally came across the gates of hell. wink

You can also use 3AAA batteries if you have an triple AAA battery holder commonly found in small LED flashlights.

Last edited by 12344mag; 12/01/17.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, akrange, 16 invisible), 1,621 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,941
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.