-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
These seem like a decent idea, since my need for a saw is very infrequent and there'd be much less headache getting the thing started and running. Anyone have experience with them? Thanks!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My dad was poor, so we cut ten cords a year with a $40 electric chainsaw back in the 80's. What we would do is cut 6' poles with the 1960's McCulloch and throw them in the back of the 1964 Datsun 1 ton PU and get them home, where we set them on a sawbuck and cut them up with the electric saw. Not sure if that helps you in today's economy, but they got the job one for cheap at that time..

LOL
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an older (20 years ?) electric McCulloch chainsaw that works very well for what it is. I've cut both soft and hardwood with it.
The electric motor seems to have plenty of torque. I cut down a 50' tall Elmwood tree with it, worked just fine.

I also have a Poulan Predator 16 In. 40cc Chainsaw. It's a cutting machine for what it is... when it runs !!!

My "go to" saw is currently a Husqvarna 562XP. The Husky performs well. Not that I have anything that needs a
chain saw of that caliber, but I got tired of the Poulan and having to monkey with and trying to get it to run.

If you're just using it for minor tree triming etc. Get it. Buy an extra battery or two and don't look back.

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Picked up my first battery operated chainsaw this past summer because it would be an infrequent but handy little thing to have around. Had a cheap corded electric chainsaw back in the 80's that was OK but not spectacular, and 90% of my usage is way beyond the reach of any extension cords. Got a 36 volt Stihl MSA 200 C with a 14" bar on a friend's recommendation and it's perfect for my light, infrequent usage and I'm a big Stihl fan anyway. Love the fact that for infrequent use there's no gas to worry about storing in it or worrying about the spark plug and other usual gas motor stuff. Turn it on...... Saw a few pieces of wood...... Turn it off. That's about how mine gets used. Battery life seems great and I haven't found anything to complain about yet. So far I'm really liking this thing.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use one all the time. I'll cut 6'-10' lengths in the field and throw them in a pile under a three sided pole shed on a concrete floor. When the pile on the back porch gets low, I go cut a Gator load with electricity. It seems to me that electric chain saws deliver about as much horsepower as a gas one weighing twice as much, no two stroke smoke, no worry about idling or restarting when repositioning wood, there is a nice buck to put the long lengths in at a comfortable height in the shed, the wind don't blow in there and the ground is dry and level. There is also a barrel stove, an electric log splitter, and a radio and my ears aren't ringing because the saw and splitter are very quiet and only on when I push a button. Also, I can cut a large load of poles in the field with gas much faster and pile it higher on the truck and trailer with a couple of straps. If I were to own only one chain saw, I'd have to go with gas, but I've found that owning several of both, I'll try to use the electric ones as much as I can without needing to pack around a generator too. I haven't tried the cordless ones yet, but if they are like other power tools that I am familiar with, they are handier for small jobs, but not as powerful as corded tools for large jobs.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kobalt electric gets 100% of the light work around here and that would be anything up to about 6" diameter. Not as fast as the other, but much less drama. And quieter.....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Bristoe has a 'lectric saw too.

Sidebar: anyone have runtime estimates?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
1964 Datsun 1 ton PU

Wow! Never knew they made a 1-ton. Any pics?

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
1964 Datsun 1 ton PU

Wow! Never knew they made a 1-ton. Any pics?

It was a little bug-eyed affair with a square box. 60 HP, three on the tree.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1964+datsun+pickup&safe=active&rlz=1C1SFXN_enUS501US509&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=JsRlUtvBPwWmUM%253A%252CSv2eOVej37pd3M%252C_&usg=__s4E2IT59adB6-igjF37GPQl_FlQ%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwip9fTGg_LXAhUN24MKHSqTAZIQ9QEINzAG#imgrc=6Q4ITp6Sbk0QnM:

LOL

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

403 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,204
Posts18,503,784
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.