Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
There is a gas station on the island with a little store and beer garden though.

Our gun shop sells beer.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I don't know that we really live in the sticks, Sometimes it feels pretty crowded. About 40 miles to Cranbrook, about 30 to Fernie, and about the same to Eureka. Closest larger city is Kalispell, about an hour and a half. We can get gas about ten miles away and usually end up going to one of the big towns once a week. In the summer time, there are a lot of tourists which isn't all bad, I guess, since we own a campground. I don't know when we'll ever want to move to town but I suppose the time will come. GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
We left the Bay Area for Midland Texas 22 years ago. A major culture shock but one of the best decisions we have made, both personally and professionally.

Never missed the bay area for a second in the almost 21 years we've been gone. Went back a few times to visit family, it only re-enforced what I already knew.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
im about 25 miles out and off the grid

last winter was a beeyatch to deal with.

summers are nice though

[Linked Image]

sometimes the neighbors party too much and have to yell at them to be quiet

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ribka; 12/30/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We are not quite "in town" these days, but our little village has a post office, a ranch/hardware/feed store and a "convenience store" that mostly stocks beer and liquor. It's 35 miles up to Lordsburg which is the county seat--one small grocery store, one package store and a couple of restaurants.

Silver City and Deming are both about 80 miles away, and you can get pretty much anything you need in either place, if they have it at Walmart. Douglas, AZ, is about the same, but the only groceries there are at a big Walmart which exists primarily to serve folks who come across the Mexican border from Aqua Prieta (population 125,000). As a friend said (after his first visit), "I have never been in a store where they have family reunions in the aisles." As for airports, we are almost exactly halfway between Tucson and El Paso, and both are a 5-6 hour round-trip, depending on the time of day.

Still, the country is beautiful, the people are friendly and there is good hunting for desert mule deer, Coues whitetails, pronghorns and three species of quail.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
30 miles to work in the "big town", 18 miles to the small town with a feed store and a MacDonald's, 4 miles to a little town with one gas station, a Quicky Mart and five churches, population 399.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Dang ribka , that's a fantastic place. Are there trout in the creek below?

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
We live in a small town of 1500 or so.. Two gas stations, couple bars, rip off grocery !!! Our main grocery is 40 miles.. But once I leave to town limits about 400 yards from my drive, I am free to shoot anything from gophers to elk.. My step daughter just ask, if I could move anywhere where would it be.. I realized right here.. If I ever found a better place, I always said I would move, been here 45 years.. So guess this will be it.. Lots of places I like, Montana to fish, and shoot gophers.. Western Wy. to fish.. Az. and NM for quail, all are awesome, but I guess I will stay right here..

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
We live in a small town of 1500 or so.. Two gas stations, couple bars, rip off grocery !!! Our main grocery is 40 miles.. But once I leave to town limits about 400 yards from my drive, I am free to shoot anything from gophers to elk.. My step daughter just ask, if I could move anywhere where would it be.. I realized right here.. If I ever found a better place, I always said I would move, been here 45 years.. So guess this will be it.. Lots of places I like, Montana to fish, and shoot gophers.. Western Wy. to fish.. Az. and NM for quail, all are awesome, but I guess I will stay right here..

i dont think too many places in the world are better than wyoming

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Half hour or so to town. I'm on 5 acres, not much, but off the road. I can't see my nearest neighbor. Deer, turkeys, during the rut I can hear bulls bugling on the hill behind me. I traded insults with one last September. He was pissed.

No complaints.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Im 10 miles from a small town, but they have a Walmart, and 4 miles from Boon, party store with a gas pump, and a post office only open 3hrs a day! I like it!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by greydog
I don't know that we really live in the sticks, Sometimes it feels pretty crowded. About 40 miles to Cranbrook, about 30 to Fernie, and about the same to Eureka. Closest larger city is Kalispell, about an hour and a half. We can get gas about ten miles away and usually end up going to one of the big towns once a week. In the summer time, there are a lot of tourists which isn't all bad, I guess, since we own a campground. I don't know when we'll ever want to move to town but I suppose the time will come. GD

I don’t really live in the sticks either.

The ‘burbs is more like it. Just a little water between here and the “big city”.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Rockinbar: For me its 106 miles (each way!) to the nearest CostCo!
And 66 miles each way to the nearest sporting goods chain store.
I like it here though.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
i dont think too many places in the world are better than wyoming
[/quote]
I agree, I would move to the Newcastle area if we work up a property trade with someone wanting to move to Louisiana but that probably aint happening. Has to be cow property.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
15 miles to the towns both north and south.

The northern town is the county seat and the other is larger.

45 miles to Hobbs NM.
55 or so to Lubbock and about 1hour and 15 to Midland.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess I'm a townie. Always lived in town, or darn close. The edge of town was never more than a mile away, tho, except Pueblo which was a darn big small town.

But the towns have been, almost without exception, small or smallish. And I honestly feel sorry for people who have to commute to town more than five miles to work. I guess if you're healthy and have planning skills, it's okay to live in the sticks, but I like to be close, just not TOO close, to basic services, the social activities (not "culture," mind you), schools, ammo supplies. I like places where the sticks are close, I guess.

Now I'm about three miles from the store and post office, walk across a creek every day to and from work. Cows mow the lawn and what the cows miss gets hit with a tractor.

But I'm really a townie.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
About 7 miles to town proper,.......but the Tractor Supply store is only about 5.5.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It is only six miles to town, but I only go there when I absolutely have to. There are weeks at a time I don't make it to town, but that is great in my book. My bride tries to go there once a week for groceries.

My shooting bench is just out the back door and I can start deer hunting when I step outside during the season. Turkeys and ruffed grouse have been known to die when they go through the yard, in season of course.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
11 miles (one way) to a C-Store, 18 miles the other way to a community ("town" ?) of 800 with a small grocery store, bank, Dr., ... semi-civilized. 106 miles round-trip to a town of 8,000 with a ... Walmart! Real city of 100,000 ... 150 miles.

The skies here are ... very ... dark.

"Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I live 30 miles from town.
Not really "the sticks" by my definition, but city people complain about how far they have to drive to get to my place.

Looking west over the creek at my house in the oaks.

[Linked Image]

The road I live on looking north east at the pasture that burned behind the house October 9th.
My house is by the big yellow tree...center right.

[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (160user, 257Bob, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 53 invisible), 12,223 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,256
Posts18,544,585
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.