Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've had four of them over the years, down to one now, but I truly wish I'd kept the others. Each in it's way, was a very good rifle.

The 25-06 with the heavier varmint barrel, was one of the most accurate factory rifles I've ever used. It would put three 100 gr Sierra soft points into a .3" group, time after time. Silly me, I sold it!

Since 2009 the only one I have is a 375 H&H Tropical that shoots great! Very similar groups to those posted above. I've used it only to take 3 black bear, though I've carried it for elk. Just didn't get a shot when I was hunting elk with it. One bear was a bit over 300 yards, and a single shot killed it very quickly. Another was a bear wounded by another hunter. I followed it into the brush and killed it at 10 - 15 feet. That was pretty intense.

They carry easy. Come to the shoulder fast. Look pretty classy and are just a joy to shoot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oh, mine was purchased used. Before I put my paws on it, the rifle had gone to Africa with a well known gun-writer who took a wide variety of game with it. He liked it too.

Regards, Guy

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGray
Why a Ruger No. 1? Hell if I know - guess I just really like single shots... wink but then again - why not a Ruger No. 1? I've never felt handicapped in the field, nor have I ever felt like a poser.

This 375 H&H IS known for excessive accuracy

[Linked Image]

No cherry picking - all at 100 yds with 4x magnification and will do it "all day long" (or until my shoulder gives out grin )

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

When I really feel like a "poser", I prefer a Ballard with blackpowder...

[Linked Image]

Don't see too many guys using the 270 gr Speer BT, how does it perform on game? They obviously shoot well and must be decent if you are still using them.

Gerry.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by shaman
Call me a fool and a poser I reckon............

There! I went and edited the original post as a sign of my complete and utter repentance. I guess you had to have been there. I didn't think that fellow was a poser because he carried a #1. He WAS a poser, and he just happened to have a #1. I forget also what it was chambered in. It was probably not all THAT big a shoulder buster. The point was he felt he needed a recoil pad. However, now the reference is deleted. I apologize to anyone who thought I meant that Ruger #1 owners were posers. It was not my intention.

wink

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I want one. I'm thinking 7mm-08. I'd like to hear what El_Numero_Uno thinks about this thread.

Try a 250/3000 or a .257 Bob, Md deer aren't that big.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe the "poser" you encountered had a "strap on" recoil pad because he had a screwed up shoulder? Might pay to get the whole story before jumping to conclusions. As for the why a No.1? In my case, cause I like them, and because I can. Never felt a need for a magazine. I'm quite confident that I can keep up with, or out do most folks shooting repeaters in the follow up shot department. On our first trip to Africa, I took my No.1 9.3x74R. After the first stalk(kudu) ended with a dead critter following a shot at a slow trotting bull, the PH left his rifle in the truck for the remainder of the hunt(except when we were in areas that had lions present). I just plain think they are great rifles.

Jeff

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not just Number 1s for me; it's falling blocks. The Rugers are just the easiest ones to come by. I actually like the Winchester-pattern guns more. Have two of those.

I got in pretty early when my brother sold me his 4-digit 7mm RM with a 22" barrel, AH forend, and no sights back in the early 70s. Of course I sold it myself not long after. Never seen another like it. Very nice, but kind of a bear to shoot in those bad old days when nobody wore hearing protection. Had a few since, but none stuck until the current one, a 1V .243 with a 1-7.7" twist. That one is pleasant to shoot and is throated long enough for the long bullets that are out there now. I don't have a lot of practical use for it, but like it pretty well, which might be enough to keep it around.

I can understand why they cost more than most bolt guns, but think $1800 is a bit much even so. I paid less than $900 for mine from Whittaker's. Any others I run into at a similar price might tempt me, especially 1As.

All I can say is, handle one, and shoot it if possible. You'll either get it or you won't.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by GuyM
I've had four of them over the years, down to one now, but I truly wish I'd kept the others. Each in it's way, was a very good rifle.

The 25-06 with the heavier varmint barrel, was one of the most accurate factory rifles I've ever used. It would put three 100 gr Sierra soft points into a .3" group, time after time. Silly me, I sold it!

Since 2009 the only one I have is a 375 H&H Tropical that shoots great! Very similar groups to those posted above. I've used it only to take 3 black bear, though I've carried it for elk. Just didn't get a shot when I was hunting elk with it. One bear was a bit over 300 yards, and a single shot killed it very quickly. Another was a bear wounded by another hunter. I followed it into the brush and killed it at 10 - 15 feet. That was pretty intense.

They carry easy. Come to the shoulder fast. Look pretty classy and are just a joy to shoot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oh, mine was purchased used. Before I put my paws on it, the rifle had gone to Africa with a well known gun-writer who took a wide variety of game with it. He liked it too.

Regards, Guy

Guy, is that an FXII or an M8 3x Leupy?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gerry35
Originally Posted by JGray
Why a Ruger No. 1? Hell if I know - guess I just really like single shots... wink but then again - why not a Ruger No. 1? I've never felt handicapped in the field, nor have I ever felt like a poser.

This 375 H&H IS known for excessive accuracy

[Linked Image]

No cherry picking - all at 100 yds with 4x magnification and will do it "all day long" (or until my shoulder gives out grin )

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

When I really feel like a "poser", I prefer a Ballard with blackpowder...

[Linked Image]

Don't see too many guys using the 270 gr Speer BT, how does it perform on game? They obviously shoot well and must be decent if you are still using them.

I don't hunt a lot with the 375 but have shot one cow elk with it and the 270 Speer. Jumped her out of her bed at 40 yds - head on shot in chest. She went from standing upright to 4 legs straight up in the air without taking a step. Never found an exit or the bullet - probably in the gut pile, but it didn't seem to be overly explosive as the rumors indicate. I don't shoot many Speer bullets but the gun counter manager at the LGS here swears by them.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I think the old red pad guns not the best at taming recoil.
Bud's 45-70 #1S was a beast (heavy bullets max'd).
Was fun but not the kind I'd tolerate 20 yrs down the road (now).

Not a believer in the "one shot" makes one shoot better. I always think it's "one shot" and put my best effort.
If the gun holds more and am unsure of what happened, I just give 'em my best again.

Doesn't matter what I shoot, I don't shoot "at" stuff. Never understood that mentality.
So maybe why the "single shot" has no allure.

The Ruger #1 is just a damn good lookin' rifle.
They have a different feel too.

Some like it, some don't.
Drug mine out this past season, even in horrible rain (p*ssed me off but hey, it's a deer rifle).

Nothing big enough to shoot.
Last yr I popped a small 8 with it and got a decent pic.

Bland wood but still way nicer than plastic stocked bolt rigs of wonderment.
If I'm gonna shoot little deer, might as well do it with a bit of style.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hookeye; 01/11/18.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'd like a 1A in .35 rem.............orig bought the RSI to rebarrel to that............but it shoots very well, proly just leave it "as is".
If we ever get groundhogs around...........a 1B with killer wood, in .243 win would be my chuck rig.
I went from a 660 rem in .222 to a #1B in .243 many moons ago and blasted a fair number of dirt piggies with it.
Got it used, and after a chunk of use from me............the poor thing started opening up groups.
It was a tackdriver before, and shot OK later, but had lost its charm.

I dunno if getting another would allow for a "one holer" or not, or if I got one with good wood..........how much $ I'd have to dump into it to have one like I used to have.
But then..............life is short, and if a wad of $ to have a good looking chucker is the price..............I think it worth paying.

Drive a beater truck and shoot a pretty rifle.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Always liked the looks and the way they operate. Finally got up the $$$ to get one. Started looking for a 308 about three years ago. There were two or three for sale then, but missed them. Took a year, but finally snagged one, from Cabelas of all places, for a little over a grand. Shoots 1 1/2" with nothing done to it. Two deer and a coyote last season. Two deer this season. Have toyed with getting a Jard trigger and doing a little work on it. But, it does fine now. Just like the way they look and feel.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by El_Numero_Uno

For Shaman; get you one and you will either "get it" or you won't. Only way to find out if you don't know. Anything we say won't make any difference.

You're probably right. I've always felt like I was on the outside looking when it came to a #1.

However, y'all have been helpful in one way. I had not previously understood the #1's capability for accuracy. My understanding was that it was hit or miss and mostly a miss. You've dispelled that myth for me.

Many thanks for the responses.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's a matter of taste and how your stick floats. I own more single shots than bolt rifles and the only two semi-auto rifles I own are an M-1 carbine and an SKS. Someone said the #1 is an elegant looking rifle and, I agree, to my eye it is. It harkens back to the Farquharson on which it was apparently loosely modeled so there's that whole romance/history thing it has going for it. I've owned 4 and 3 were "accurate enough" for my needs. My first in 300 Win. Mag. was the least accurate. I never did figure out that rifle. The 22-250 shot bug holes, the 375 H&H was sub 1 inch. The only one I have now is in 450/400 just in case we have an elephant or cape buffalo invasion in our garden and I guess I'm not man enough to sit behind it and shoot sub 1 inch groups with full house loads. My reduced cast bullet load does shoot bug holes.

I have old German and British single shot rifles chambered in some obsolescent, mostly unheard of cartridges I much prefer to the #1 but, that's how my stick floats. I still wouldn't want to be without a big bore #1. As far as hunting with a single shot....I've killed a lot more deer and other critters with them than anything else if real muzzleloaders are included. In fairness, I use single shots more but, save one whitetail, I've never not taken home anything I've shot at. I own, shoot and hunt with them to please only me, no one else's opinion matters.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by El_Numero_Uno
I want one. I'm thinking 7mm-08. I'd like to hear what El_Numero_Uno thinks about this thread.

For Shaman; get you one and you will either "get it" or you won't. Only way to find out if you don't know. Anything we say won't make any difference.

I'm sure you'll have one, in some caliber, at the pig hunt. If you don't mind, I'd like to shoot whatever you bring. I've never shot one before, but I think they're beautiful. I'm left handed and I use an Encore. I know there's left handed bolt actions, but then I'll have to learn how to operate it. I can reload the Encore in short order, so I should be able to handle reloading a #1 just as quick & easy. I'm not sure if you have anything you might want to sell, if so, please PM me. You could bring it to TX and save me from hauling a rifle down there. Also, I'm not sure about the 7mm-08 either. I spoke to you a little about this last year. We might have to sit down and have a beer and continue this discussion.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

Try a 250/3000 or a .257 Bob, Md deer aren't that big.

Yea, I have to use a slug barrel where I hunt in Poolesville. I'm thinking more in the lines of other critters like pigs. I need to pick some brains because I'm not sure what I'll ever hunt in the future. I'd love to get out west sometime to hunt, but right now I'm pretty tied down with work. Some day, I'd love to go after things like Mule Deer, Pronghorn, Moose, and possibly Elk. I don't think the 7-08 would be able to handle some of the bigger stuff. But then again, it might give me an excuse to by a second one.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

That's an old M8 3x that I picked up used. I like it.

Guy

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have three friends who all hunt with Ruger #1's. I have one in 7X57, 6.5 Creedmore, 450-400, and a custom in 7MM-08. There great rifles and fun to shoot and to carry. Try one you'll like them.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by GuyM
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

That's an old M8 3x that I picked up used. I like it.

Guy

Many thanks, I had one, probably will have to scout out another, they are on ebay often. The one I had didn't have quite enough for me, but I've since become resigned to offsets.

Just right on your .375 I'd say.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I must like the Ruger #1. I have 20 of them from .22 Hornet to .416 Rigby. shocked probably 50 percent of the time I've used one or the other on a hunt and never felt handicapped. Haven't used one since 2008 as I used a repeater .270 on an antelope hunt in 2009 and the private ranch I've hunted elk on since then does not allow the use of single loaders. mad
All mine have the red pads so accuracy with some is fantastic and some, well to be nice not so good. frown Prime example, I have two rifles in 25-06, one simple gorgeous with fantastic wood, the other looks like it was rode hard and put away wet.
So far, the pretty one doesn't shoot worth chit. The beater is a .50" gun. Go figure. One I bought, a #1A in .270 was a dog I got into cheap. Guy said it would shoot and he was right. He'd free floated the barrel. I cut a piece from an expired credit card and placed it under the forearm at the tip and the gun now does MOA. The only oddball in my single shot collection is a Browning B78 in 30-06. Damn thing is a tack driver.
I'm guessing if I could only keep one of the Rugers it would be my #1S in .300 Win. Mag. It'll put three 200 gr. Speer Hot Cores into 3/8" at 100 yards day in and day out at almost 2900 FPS.
On a rapid reload, no problem. It doesn't take a lot of practice to do a fast reload. Some people use a belt hold, some a butt cuff, some a cuff on the forearm and some use a wrist cuff. Figure out which one works the best for you. I use a butt cuff but YMMV. One thing is for certain, you won't hold a couple of shell between your fingers very long on a really cold day. Just ask me how I know. whistle
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here are pics of my two Ruger No. 1's- the 1-A is a .257 Roberts, the other is a custom build chambered for 7mm RCBS, but in which I just shoot factory Nosler ammo in .280 with 140 gr. Accubond bullets.

The custom rifle shoots the factory Nosler stuff with sub-MOA accuracy, and with this rifle I took the biggest bull elk of my life, a 7x7 monster.
After a couple of years of tweaking the .257 Roberts, I have finally got it to shoot inside an inch at 100 yd., but not without a lot of tweaking- several different bullet weights, several different powders, free floating and bedding with a Hicks device installed, adding a Jard trigger, etc. Turns out that the Barnes 80 gr. TTSX, and Hybrid 100V powder, are the secret ingredients for this rifle.

No. 1's are beautiful firearms, a lot of fun to shoot and hunt with, if you are willing to put up with their shortfalls.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,517
Posts18,472,450
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.