Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have owned 43 P-64s and 2 custom Classic STS rifles in the past 50 years. They are very good rifles and I packed some of them while working alone for extended stints in some of BC's most remote wilderness. I have and do own examples of about every fine bolt sporter made from WW1 to my KMA .280AI and consider a P-64 among the top 3-4 for hard hunting uses in tough country and crappy weather.

They WILL shoot, although some gunwriters have stated that this was no so and the smallest groups with factory ammo that I have ever shot in 60 years of shooting have been with P-64s, especially the early '50s std. 270s. Awesome groups with Norma ammo, usually under a 1/2 MOA at 100.

The Alaskan .338s, had five, still have four, are THE rifle for BC uses and in good synthetic handles are so close to "perfect" that only a 4+1 system would improve them.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
SNAP, I am happy to hear we aren't the only ones that love those Alaskans! Mine has been flawless and continues to be my go to rifle when it really has to count.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 2 Pre64 FWs, 2 M71s and 4 Pre64 M94s. I also have 4 New haven M70s. These are my "go to" for almost everything as is my old M12 made in 1913 for bunnies, grouse and pheasants. Love the nostalgia and the brand. My dilemma is that I also have two M700s made in the last 10 years that outshoot all of them and an old 760 carbine (was my first rifle) that I like to hunt with occasionally. It creates a dilemma every time I go to the gunsafe but the good news is that I have something in that safe to satisfy almost all of my moods when I need to make a decision about what to use on that particular hunt or trip to the range. I need to thin these out but just cannot bring myself to part with any of them. Same problem I have with my kids!

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Milwroad
I have 2 Pre64 FWs, 2 M71s and 4 Pre64 M94s. I also have 4 New haven M70s. These are my "go to" for almost everything as is my old M12 made in 1913 for bunnies, grouse and pheasants. Love the nostalgia and the brand. My dilemma is that I also have two M700s made in the last 10 years that outshoot all of them and an old 760 carbine (was my first rifle) that I like to hunt with occasionally. It creates a dilemma every time I go to the gunsafe but the good news is that I have something in that safe to satisfy almost all of my moods when I need to make a decision about what to use on that particular hunt or trip to the range. I need to thin these out but just cannot bring myself to part with any of them. Same problem I have with my kids!

Well, keep us fellow Raiders in mind... Anything Classic M70, P64 or Model 71 would perk a fella up! whistle

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Which of my kids do you want to adopt? Oh, you are probably talking about rifles. Don't worry Scotty, you are the first person I will call when I am ready to thin the herd.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh...I thought we were just mentioning Model 70's. This could take a while...

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SNAP
I have owned 43 P-64s and 2 custom Classic STS rifles in the past 50 years. They are very good rifles and I packed some of them while working alone for extended stints in some of BC's most remote wilderness. I have and do own examples of about every fine bolt sporter made from WW1 to my KMA .280AI and consider a P-64 among the top 3-4 for hard hunting uses in tough country and crappy weather.

They WILL shoot, although some gunwriters have stated that this was no so and the smallest groups with factory ammo that I have ever shot in 60 years of shooting have been with P-64s, especially the early '50s std. 270s. Awesome groups with Norma ammo, usually under a 1/2 MOA at 100.

The Alaskan .338s, had five, still have four, are THE rifle for BC uses and in good synthetic handles are so close to "perfect" that only a 4+1 system would improve them.

4+1is the only way my 338 flies. Although, it's built on an h&h action. It also wears a poundR and the balance is so sweet. Don't get me started on how she shoots either wink.... you and scotty know what I'm talking about.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If i can find a left handed model 70 classic, I'll happily join you guys.
Definitely the dream rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JackVliet

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/718000893

This is a very late Classic, but still with the best trigger ever. If you reload, stock up on brass now just in case. And if it won't shoot send it to "Redneck" here on the fire, he'll make it shoot.

gunbroker is the place to find the one you want, just be patient.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That would be awesome. I hope you find that lefty. They seem to be hard to find and expensive.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I'm hopelessly left-handed, but this M70 (.30-06) is a favorite. No issues shooting it left-handed. If it was my only rifle I'd probably get a spare modern scope for it (it wears a Lyman 4X) and I'd be OK for just about anything I'd be going after. I've sold off my other M70s (including a lefty) but this one will always be around.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 01/14/18.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RGK

I'm hopelessly left-handed, but this M70 (.30-06) is a favorite. No issues shooting it left-handed. If it was my only rifle I'd probably get a spare modern scope for it (it wears a Lyman 4X) and I'd be OK for just about anything I'd be going after. I've sold off my other M70s but this one will always be around.
Bob

[Linked Image]

That's a beauty, I'd hang on to that one..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice wood.

I’ve Sako, Remington, Ruger, and Winchester bollt rifles in the safe. The Rems and Rugers are fine, but my daily duty big game rifle is an old M70 with a new skinny spout and plastic stock. I’d trade the others on more Winchester’s, and likely will.

The one area they fall short, is a true light weight rifle. It ain’t gonna happen with a M70 unless you go completely silly.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Nice wood.

I’ve Sako, Remington, Ruger, and Winchester bollt rifles in the safe. The Rems and Rugers are fine, but my daily duty big game rifle is an old M70 with a new skinny spout and plastic stock. I’d trade the others on more Winchester’s, and likely will.

The one area they fall short, is a true light weight rifle. It ain’t gonna happen with a M70 unless you go completely silly.

Lightweight is nice, but sometimes highly overrated... It seems we live in a time where guys are more recoil sensitive sissies and cry about a rifle that weighs more than 8 pounds all up... I for one could give a chit if it weighs more than 9 pounds, if it balances well. I guess growing up toting an 11 pound sporterized m1917 has ruined me and my judgement on what I consider a "lightweight" rifle.... Just sayin.. Oh, by the way, I just listed the superlite for sale on another site about 5 minutes ago... wink... Lightweight isn't everything..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not always.

Most folks are fat fuggs that hunt out of their truck. “Carrying” a ten pound rifle with a Hubble scope ain’t a thing. Even folks that get out and about still don’t go that far. Most of my hunting is within a couple or three miles of camp or the truck. Most rifles are fine.

Carrying camp on your back and putting in long mileage in steep country? I’ll take light weight every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
That is a dandy,wood is exceptional wood.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S
I’m just waiting for Winchester to make the model 70 in a 6.5 Creedmoor. ...

anyhow seriously thinking of having it rebarreled to a 260 Remington with a #2 shilen..

Knowing Winchester, it'd have a 10" twist wink

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Not always.

Most folks are fat fuggs that hunt out of their truck. “Carrying” a ten pound rifle with a Hubble scope ain’t a thing. Even folks that get out and about still don’t go that far. Most of my hunting is within a couple or three miles of camp or the truck. Most rifles are fine.

Carrying camp on your back and putting in long mileage in steep country? I’ll take light weight every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Might want to find an older Featherweight... 80s or 90s production...
in the caliber of your choice...

put a Leupold of your choice on top... a nice 2.5 x 8 would be a nice carrying package...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by RGK

I'm hopelessly left-handed, but this M70 (.30-06) is a favorite. No issues shooting it left-handed. If it was my only rifle I'd probably get a spare modern scope for it (it wears a Lyman 4X) and I'd be OK for just about anything I'd be going after. I've sold off my other M70s (including a lefty) but this one will always be around.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Great looking rifle.
Count me in as someone who has little interest in anything other than pre 64 model 70s (nice mausers being the exception). Not to say something else will never come through the doorway, but unlikely it would stay long!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My bolt gun battery is a pre-war M70, three Mausers from the 50s -60s ( one custom stocked wearing the FN banner, the other two small ring Browning Safaris), a 1903 Custom, and a blue steel/walnut CZ .223. I also have a soft spot for 100%. Belgium BARs. I have one Gd III, from the time when they were hand engraved. It scares the heck out of the magic inch with factory 150. Besides that, it is gentle to old bones. I do have the Blaser switch barrel system, but I could get by with the first five plus the BAR. I own exactly one plastic stocked gun, an accurate Mini-14 that I bought for a ranch truck and Mule gun. Riding In either is a hard life. Beyond that, I have a small collection of Marlin lever guns, all blue steel and walnut. My handguns and shotguns are mostly older and of traditional construction. No plastic!

Just one old geeser's opinion, but it may be worth something,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, AB2506, AscensionIndustries, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,219 guests, and 665 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,224
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.