Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 35 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 34 35
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bart185

I've been happily married for over 15 years and if my wife is leaving,it's news to me....Don't know where that came from...

Just noticed this. I apparently confused you with one of the other agressors I've been fending off with my stick for some time. For this incorrect attribution, I apologize.

P.S. Sentiment still applies to the other guy, however (ahem, whomever and wherever the hell that SOB is! grin).

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I have been CRITICAL of Rick for much of this, without any reason other than me being a PRICK. We all make our own decisions and as adults must live with the consequences. Some made decisions and they are no longer here. I can no more condone it in my workplace than Rick can in his.

I gotta tell you Steelhead,I'm shocked you would kick a
friend to the curb so easily.....

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffP
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I have been CRITICAL of Rick for much of this, without any reason other than me being a PRICK. We all make our own decisions and as adults must live with the consequences. Some made decisions and they are no longer here. I can no more condone it in my workplace than Rick can in his.

I gotta tell you Steelhead,I'm shocked you would kick a
friend to the curb so easily.....
Come on geez let it rest.Highly doubt anyones been "kicked to the curb".Glad to have Steelhead still contributing here!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
JeffP--I'm shocked you perceived it that way!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Chris
A favorite word: ambisinistral

Ambidextrous... Ambi=either, dexter=right... equally right-handed with either hand.
sinister=left... ambisinister... equally left-handed with either hand...

Seems I may have mentioned this before, but I just love that word!
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Already mentioned it once, but I love the new change and layout here. Best forum on the `net!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, I think so too. BTW, that's not a Chinese market. It's a place called Tsukiji, in Tokyo.

I thought that was Japanese writing instead of Chinese. wink (Like I could tell the difference. I can barely tell the difference between English and Australian.)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Already mentioned it once, but I love the new change and layout here. Best forum on the `net!

So do I and especially the new PM method where the replies follow each other. That's much better. Thanks, Rick.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by MColeman
Thanks, I think so too. BTW, that's not a Chinese market. It's a place called Tsukiji, in Tokyo.

I thought that was Japanese writing instead of Chinese. wink (Like I could tell the difference. I can barely tell the difference between English and Australian.)

grin grin grin

It's my understanding that Japanese and Chinese writing is as close as English and Australian.. They can read each other's writing, but can't talk to each other.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lhonda
BTW, that's not a Chinese market. It's a place called Tsukiji, in Tokyo. Largest fish market in the world.

Dang... I would have sworn those were Chinese characters and not Japanese. Could the characters be Chinese, even though the market is in Japan?

I've never studied any of the oriental languages, but can usually differentiate between Japanese, Chinese, and Korean... eek (Where's the old "help" smiley when I need him? smile )

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for the allligator story. Very interesting.

Too bad your wife is turned off on shotguns- they are a lot of fun! 12 ga pump is pretty rough on a little person, though. I won't shoot 12 ga. pumps myself, or most O/U for that matter, due to the recoil. The A391-RL (reduced length) Beretta was designed with women in mind, and suits me nicely. The recoil is a little tougher of course with the 3" Win Supreme BB loads I shoot at ducks, but no problem with skeet loads.

Maybe someday she'd like to try a 20ga semi-auto in a youth model. (I'd go 20 or even 28 before 16 myself.) I shot a little Remington 1100 LT-20 for years and years (since I was about 10, and given that I'm around 5' now, you can imagine how small I was then) and had a ball. As a small person, the other thing I would mention is that I do much better & feel the recoil a lot less shooting shotguns at moving targets, like in skeet or clays, than shooting at a stationary target. I really dislike shooting any stationary target with a shotgun- even my Beretta. The recoil feels a ton worse to me. Maybe it's because I'm expecting it & am flinching- not sure. (crippled ducks are really rough on me) (worse on them, though wink ) I shoot stationary targets with a rifle no problem- just not with a shotgun.

Should she ever get interested in shooting skeet or some other shotgun sport, you may want to check out Shoot The Moon's website (www.shootingvests.com I think). You can get really nice vests designed for women in sizes down to petite, with LH pads. I got mine there & love it. They're a little pricey, but I felt worth it. They might even make a custom one you could put a Browning Reactar pad in.

Being a small woman shooting left handed in a male/right hand dominated sport means you have to learn a lot on your own as to what works, and what works well. I hope a least a little of my experience is in some way helpful. But, in the end, that's all it comes down to- my experience, which may differ from hers, or be of no interest. In any case, good luck!

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Mrs Varminter--If my wife ever puts me to the curb--Will you marry me???

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
lhonda,

I bought my wife a Remington 11-87 youth model in 20 ga. She loves it and has no problem with recoil. Maybe you should give one a try.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn
BTW, that's not a Chinese market. It's a place called Tsukiji, in Tokyo. Largest fish market in the world.

Dang... I would have sworn those were Chinese characters and not Japanese. Could the characters be Chinese, even though the market is in Japan?

I've never studied any of the oriental languages, but can usually differentiate between Japanese, Chinese, and Korean... eek (Where's the old "help" smiley when I need him? smile )

Penny

Hiya Penny,

Actually, you were technically correct. Sort of. smile Japanese 'kanji', as it's called (with some 6K pictographs) was derived/adopted from the Chinese some 1000+ years ago, and modified. And while many of the characters are alike (and in many cases identical), they don't always translate properly or entirely. There are also two phoentics 'alphabets', as it were, to allow the Japanese to use in romance/latin based language. They're called 'hiragana' and 'katakana'. The average person needs to know about 3K characters to read the paper. A bit more work and overly complicated than our own alphabet, I'd say...But then these are ancient languages, relatively speaking. I read a book on kanji when I was a kid, and it was very interestinhg to learn about the evolution of it all. The 'kanji' for Tokyo is written as two pictographs; one as a picture of a lantern with the sun rising behind it (east), the second is a pictograph of a house/center. Thus, Tokyo = eastern capital. Kind of neat once you begin to understand the basics. My own name, Honda, is of two kanji as well. The first, 'hon' is 'many', the second is 'da', or 'books'. Take whatever you may from that. grin

When in Chinatown here in Boston, or in NYC however, my wife might look at a sign and say, "hey, there's a poultry market", as she's able to make a very educated guess as to what's what. When it comes to speaking to the gal at the register, however, all bets are off, and pointing, smiling and head shaking take over. smile

Cheers,

LH

P.S. Oh, and the Korean language and writing is a totally different ball of wax altogether.

Last edited by lhonda; 02/17/07.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
lhonda,

I bought my wife a Remington 11-87 youth model in 20 ga. She loves it and has no problem with recoil. Maybe you should give one a try.

Mike

Hey Mike, thanks for the suggestion, but the 11-87 is a side eject, no? Remember, I'm looking for a youth, semi, lefty job. I've yet to see one...But not done looking!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mrs_Varminter
Thanks for the allligator story. Very interesting.

Too bad your wife is turned off on shotguns- they are a lot of fun! 12 ga pump is pretty rough on a little person, though. I won't shoot 12 ga. pumps myself, or most O/U for that matter, due to the recoil. The A391-RL (reduced length) Beretta was designed with women in mind, and suits me nicely. The recoil is a little tougher of course with the 3" Win Supreme BB loads I shoot at ducks, but no problem with skeet loads.

Maybe someday she'd like to try a 20ga semi-auto in a youth model. (I'd go 20 or even 28 before 16 myself.) I shot a little Remington 1100 LT-20 for years and years (since I was about 10, and given that I'm around 5' now, you can imagine how small I was then) and had a ball. As a small person, the other thing I would mention is that I do much better & feel the recoil a lot less shooting shotguns at moving targets, like in skeet or clays, than shooting at a stationary target. I really dislike shooting any stationary target with a shotgun- even my Beretta. The recoil feels a ton worse to me. Maybe it's because I'm expecting it & am flinching- not sure. (crippled ducks are really rough on me) (worse on them, though wink ) I shoot stationary targets with a rifle no problem- just not with a shotgun.

Should she ever get interested in shooting skeet or some other shotgun sport, you may want to check out Shoot The Moon's website (www.shootingvests.com I think). You can get really nice vests designed for women in sizes down to petite, with LH pads. I got mine there & love it. They're a little pricey, but I felt worth it. They might even make a custom one you could put a Browning Reactar pad in.

Being a small woman shooting left handed in a male/right hand dominated sport means you have to learn a lot on your own as to what works, and what works well. I hope a least a little of my experience is in some way helpful. But, in the end, that's all it comes down to- my experience, which may differ from hers, or be of no interest. In any case, good luck!

You're welcome on the gator stuff; 'twere great fun.

5' tall? Wow. You're a real shrimp, huh? Hell, mine's 5' 2" (albiet with heels). smile

All your great suggestions taken with much thanks. I'll have to have her read this later.

Best,

LH

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
lhonda,

Mike

Hey Mike, thanks for the suggestion, but the 11-87 is a side eject, no? Remember, I'm looking for a youth, semi, lefty job. I've yet to see one...But not done looking!

Have you considered an Ithaca 37 pump? They are bottom eject and it's a simple matter to cut off the stock to correct length and install a good recoil pad. Having a stock that fits does wonders to make recoil tolerable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Have you considered an Ithaca 37 pump? They are bottom eject and it's a simple matter to cut off the stock to correct length and install a good recoil pad. Having a stock that fits does wonders to make recoil tolerable.

No, I hadn't, Mickey. I'll put that one on the list as well to check. I'm more thinking that a semi would do more to tame recoil, in addition to a proper fit and r/c pad. Right you are about bottom eject, though. I'd already considered Browning for that reason. wink

Thanks, mister!

LH

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A second to Mickey's suggestion about an Ithaca 37. Sweet to handle and a thing of beauty in its own right.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No, I hadn't, Mickey. I'll put that one on the list as well to check. I'm more thinking that a semi would do more to tame recoil, in addition to a proper fit and r/c pad. Right you are about bottom eject, though. I'd already considered Browning for that reason. wink

Thanks, mister!

LH

There's no doubt the gas operated semi auto would help with recoil but the Decelerator pad will do much, also. Just stay away from them heavy loads......they will hurt you!

Page 20 of 35 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 34 35

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

456 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,017 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,088
Posts18,521,967
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.