-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't care what you do or don't believe. I trust that particular gunsmith.

Me

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm glad you do, have at it.

Considering brass is softer than steel, what would give first?

Last edited by anothergun; 09/19/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Start at the top champ.

Secondary Pressure Spikes

Originally Posted by thread
I started loading up with a load from a popular manual. Went all the way to max load with no typical pressure signs.
My computer was showing a primary pressure of about 65000 psi and a secondary of about 80000 psi. Well I didnt believe the secondary spike.
So I decided to keep going up until I say something happen. When I got to about 67-68000 the pressure stopped going up on the primary spike, and was going off scale on the secondary. I kept going up on the powder charge, nothing out of the ordinary, no extraction problems, no sticky bolt, nothing.
Kept going up and on the next shot the rifle kicked like he##! Pressure was still off scale, round ejected nicely, no flatened primer, nothing out of the ordinary. I checked the graph, same things only a little longer off scale on the secondary. Chronograph showing the same readings.
Fired once more.....kicked like #$%^ again ! Still cant find anything wrong ! Brass looks good, speeds are the same, everything is normal.Pressure goes off scale at about 90000 and is staying off for a while.
Fired once more......kicked like !@#$ again .
Whats going on here ?
I looked down at the muzzle and I had blown the muzzle brake completely off the rifle.....blown it off at the first row of ports... ..blew the brake completely off the barrel.

Course I don't expect a guy like you to get it - after basically calling out Ken H. I'm not one of his largest fans but the guy was generally considered an expert on the matter - given the books he's written and published on the topic and his time as an editor. Fact remains - Charlie had the equipment and ran the tests - went hot enough to blow the end of the barrel off the gun and ZERO typical indicators on the brass.

IMO - brass condition isn't a guarantee that you're under max.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
4 year old account that wakes up and posts 12 times in a day on an old thread?

Did Larry find one of his old accounts?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by anothergun
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Don't blame it on the bullets.
<br>
<br>Your loads were already dangerously close to the edge. When you changed one variable (those bullets), the slight difference -- which wouldn't be a great problem if your loads were safely moderate -- was enough to hoist pressures the small amount necessary to expedite the destruction of your rifle.
<br>
<br>I'd need all the details of your load, to be more certain and specific, and I'd really love to run one of your loads through an instrumented test barrel -- but given what you've told me, I'm confident that your loads were already hot enough to have you skirting close to the brink of a blow-up.

"skirting close??" WHAT? No max load or even over PUBLISHED max loads would cause a blow up. And I have Lee data that is over Hornady, or Sierra data max loads... ALL data is within SAMMI specifications.
Should this statement cause some concern?? From Hawk bullets....."They seal the bore and engage the rifling more completely, improving accuracy and eliminating gas blow-by....
So what does this tell us class?? if there's less blow by where's the pressure going?
Really? Come on. OP states........"the cases I used and measured and weighed every single Hawk bullet. All were .358 in diameter and weighed exactly 275 grains." I'm CONFIDENT he loaded correctly if this was under normal circumstances. But you're confident he was skirting close to the brink of a blow up??? And this is the most humorous statement here..."was enough to hoist pressures the small amount necessary to expedite the destruction of your rifle."Ummmmm.... moderating the pressure signs, which again I'm sure he has done in the past..On another note.. "loads were being dangerously close to the edge"???would show indications waaaaaay BEFORE a rifle barrel/action being blown up... um, like, case failure.

Folks can say what they want about Ken Howell so far as his faith and his irascibility, but the man knew more about internal and external ballistics than you will ever hope to know. Studying under the tutelage of Homer Powley and his peers gave Ken Howell a leg up in a very complicated area.
He had his own gunpowder pressure testing equipment for checking individual lots of powder, and enough other test equipment to put a lot of ballistics labs to shame, including computers and software.
You come across as a very defensive, immature person who has a little bit of knowledge and no idea of the capabilities of the people on this site.

You would be much better served to ask questions and listen, not pontificate on things you only have a glimmer of knowledge about.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by anothergun
well let me ask you this Bob....since you are such an expert on the subject.

when you use the word "can".... can it result in pressures going out of site? So you don't believe that a case failure would happen long before a barrel/receiver would fail?

Wise guy: I have had it happen so I am "experienced" but not stupid because it happened once. smile

Yes pressures went out of site.

And I took precautions by reducing the load by 3 grains before the switch in bullets....it was not enough.

The case gave way, blew the primer,which of course is a case failure.

If I had not reduced the load by three grains do you suppose the action could have let go? I will leave that to you to speculate since you are such an expert. It certainly is not impossible.

BTW the perps were the 338 Win Mag, H205, 225 Hornady, Bitterroot and Nosler Partition in this particular case.

Not sure what your point is anyway.

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/19/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Did Larry find one of his old accounts?

There is a certain aroma wafting about.

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dang, it seems Anothergun just came on here to argue,piss, and moan.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Gee I guess If I'm all alone in my squabble, I must be wrong.

Happy hunting. Oh don't forget to debate about who has the right cartridge round yer fire.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That's the oldest post I have seen

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All of these in-depth comments are important as to handloading and shooter safety. I have a number of different weights of Hawk bullets in 348 WCF caliber.
The 348 case is a strong one, but the Winchester Model 71 and later versions are lever actions. Lever actions have no sense of humor and handle adverse pressure spikes poorly.

The factory warning is not to be taken lightly. That being said, it would help Hawk to close up the base of their bullets as much as possible, within their design
and jacket material. The older original Barnes bullets were made similarly. One could see where the copper tubibin was reduced at the base, leaving a very fine hole-
sometimes the core lead was visible.

This type of thread should be repeated regularly as a safety precaution-old school or not. Keep resurrecting................

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a full box of 35 cal. 225 grain Hawk bullets. I had bought two boxes of them and tried to get them to shoot in my 350 RM. That rifle is accurate with several bullets and loads. But with those Hawk bullets the best group was in the order of 4.5 MOA. I didn't have issues with pressures though. The diameter of these Hawk bullets were similar to the Hornadys that shot very well. I had believed that the accuracy problem was the soft jacket material and that perhaps I had pushed them too hard??? I understood that these bullets had a soft copper jacket and that might have caused the problem??? If they shot well, I'd think they would be outstanding on game. I didn't think I had pushed them hard, but I was at loss to why the problem.

If someone wants to experiment with these bullets, I'd let them go fairly cheap. I have 35 Rem's and a 358 Win and "WAS" - frown - considering trying that bullet in one of those. Now I don't think I'll be using them in my rifles. If no one wants to try these, they will be on a table at the Sioux Falls Gun Show in a couple of weeks.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been reloading for over 20 years, and reload for 5 different calibers and have never had a rifle blow up on me. What gives?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sometime a case, sometimes a action. what some fail to consider is the stress fatigue caused by overloads.one can never tell when a action/barrel might come apart. i had a small shop in california and around the display cases i had firearms,mainly revolvers that people blew up. it was stunning to listen to some that claimed to be expert reloaders tell their tails.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BU-
I may take you up on that box of 35 bullets.....have an old Model 70 in 35 Whelen.....

I talked to Andy Hill-of Hawk Bullets-this week. They have been filling DoD sniper bullet requests, which is interesting.
He stated that on a custom order, he could close the base jacket opening a bit over the core.
I have used some of their bullets, mainly in 348 WCF, which operates at lower velocity/ pressure with 225-250 grain bullets.
Have killed one large moose with one shot-270 gr bullet in the 348 Ack Imp.-probably 2300 FPS.

No problems so far. But it may be like the 10th floor bldg jumper at the 6th floor-" So far- so good". My last 348 Bullets were bonded North Fork, Alaska Bullet Works bonded-
and some original Barnes : all 230-250 grain.

One item. Hawk recommends 5-10% reduction in powder charge. Also single based powders. Bolt actions generally develop more pressure
than lever action rifles, and the latter have less room for error or pressure excursions. Food for thought.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (338reddog, 300_savage, 308xray, 16penny, 280shooter, 29 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,261
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.