Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by skinner
We bought our milk from a local dairy for 50 cents per gallon. Also I grew up when televisions had tubes that were always burning out. The tv repairman would come by with a big fold out box full of tubes. Remember how the vertical hold would go out and the picture would start to roll?

There was be a tube testing machine in the drugstore. Dad was handy with electronics before the age of the integrated circuit, and I remember going to the Katz&Besthoff store to test suspect tubes with him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My grandfather had a flock of chickens, probably about 75-100 laying hens. Every Friday night, he would go to the basement, clean the eggs, and put them into cartons. On Saturday morning, he my grandmother would head to town, and deliver those eggs to customers that they had been selling to for years......at 50 cents a dozen. After the eggs were delivered, they would go to several grocery stores, always looking for the best prices. One of the groceries would save their old produce that had gone bad, and give it to my grandfather for his chickens. The last stop would be the co-op, where he would buy chicken feed. They did that every Saturday, never missing one. I'd sometimes go with them, and can remember the trip home, where we'd have bologna sandwiches and a banana for lunch.

That was back in the 1950's and 60's.......a totally different era from the one we live in now. My grandparents were old school, and the best grandparents a kid could have ever had.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by websterparish47

In high school, lunch was $0.50 and you paid the cashier as you entered the line. No money, no lunch. Extra milk was $0.03.

In elementary, we paid for our milk, but not for the hot lunch. Hot lunches were great back then. Many times better than the crap public schoolers get for hot lunch today.

We were too poor to get the hot lunch. My mother packed a brown bag everyday and we bought these little half pints of milk in a triangular box thing for $.03. I remember when the price went up to $.05. My mother almost had a heart attack.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Our town was too small for milk delivery. We did have the Fuller Brush Man and the Culligan Man.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by skinner
We bought our milk from a local dairy for 50 cents per gallon. Also I grew up when televisions had tubes that were always burning out. The tv repairman would come by with a big fold out box full of tubes. Remember how the vertical hold would go out and the picture would start to roll?

There was be a tube testing machine in the drugstore. Dad was handy with electronics before the age of the integrated circuit, and I remember going to the Katz&Besthoff store to test suspect tubes with him.

Not particularly handy with electronics myself but have done the same a few times back in the '60s and '70s. They worked fine for testing small basic most common tubes. Anything beyond that though you were still dead in the water. It's been a long time but IRCC you simply matched up the type, size and pin configurations of the tubes you wanted to test to their like receptacles on the machine and turned it on. The tube testing machines usually had an assortment of new replacement tubes in a storage cabinet beneath the machine itself. Hopefully there would be the replacement tube you needed in stock because often the same tubes were the ones to go bad most frequently.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If Dad needed to get serious he could. He had built vacuum tube Ham radios from loose parts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We still have a company that delivers here in So. Idaho. My grandparents house had a metal ring poured in the curb in front of their house. He told me it was to tie the milkman horse wagon too while he delivered.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
We had Thompson's Dairy. The milk box was galvanized with Styrofoam inside. We got 1/2 gallon glass bottles with the paper cap.

When we'd go on vacation, my mother would call the dairy and stop the deliveries for that period of time. I remember one time we went away for a week in the summer time. I guess she forgot to call them, or the milkman delivered anyway, but when we got home something smelled real bad. Looked in the milk box and there were three 1/2 gallon bottles in there that looked like some kind of science project from outer space. The milk curdled and blew the tops off and expanded into this weird looking glob of cottage cheese. laugh

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
"My daddy was a milkman" Kentucky Headhunters ;]

Turn it up!

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by gunner500

Turn it up!

Them guys were the duck’s nuts way back when! Good stuff!

Last edited by Edwin264; 02/12/18.
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Edwin264
Originally Posted by gunner500

Turn it up!

Them guys were the duck’s nuts way back when! Good stuff!

cool Still kicking some butt!

Trump Won!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I remember the beer truck stopping at the people’s house down the street. They drank a lot of beer, Jax as I recall.

Last edited by hanco; 02/13/18.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Roundup
Family lived in Southern California during the war years. There was a popular song then "MILK MAN, KEEP THOSE BOTTLES QUIET!"

This was a plea for quiet to forestall COITUS INTERUPTUS.

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was a kid half the neighbors had the Smith Farms milkman, and half had the Darigold milkman.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

A friend who's family had owned a local brand name milk and dairy product processing plant told me once that all of their milk came in in a powder form and was reconstituted into liquid again at the factory then bottled with their family brand label.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by joken2

A friend who's family had owned a local brand name milk and dairy product processing plant told me once that all of their milk came in in a powder form and was reconstituted into liquid again at the factory then bottled with their family brand label.

I think he was pulling your leg.

That would be like adding the heavier distillates back into gasoline to make diesel...

Cost prohibitive.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
One of my uncle's owned a small dairy supplied by their farm just outside of Des Moines back in the day of the glass bottles and foil sealed tops. Before I got very old he sold out to AE dairies in Des Moines. He made the best homemade ice cream I have ever had before and since and brought it every other Sunday when the family got together at my Grandmothers house and for every special event. I still make it today.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
On the flip side to all this Dairy Stuff...

I have a good friend that grew up on a dairy. He and his brother both left home when they were just legally able to... 17, I believe.

To hear the hatred those two have towards anything having to do with a dairy was eye opening as to the work they had to put in. He said they were made to get out of bed at 3:30am, milk the cows, do the chores, clean up, then go to school, then do the same thing in the afternoon... 7 days a week. Unless there was no school that day. Then they got to work ALL day.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I have a good friend that grew up on a dairy. He and his brother both left home when they were just legally able to... 17, I believe.

To hear the hatred those two have towards anything having to do with a dairy was eye opening as to the work they had to put in. He said they were made to get out of bed at 3:30am, milk the cows, do the chores, clean up, then go to school, then do the same thing in the afternoon... 7 days a week. Unless there was no school that day. Then they got to work ALL day.

All I can add to this is when I was old enough to join the military I did.
Boot camp was a stroll in the park on a nice spring day compared to what I was use to.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

That sounds about par. I grew up on a dairy farm. Fortunately my dad was in charge of the hay and corn operation and another guy did the milking. Dad only had to do the milking when the old guy was sick or gone on a trip. I hated having to help with the dairy part. There was one cow that I swear would wait until you were directly behind her and unload a nasty load of fresh manure straight at you.

On another note, I remember Bunny bread had residential routes. There was this one bread guy who got in trouble for trading bread for sex. It made the local news. Our milk came from my grandfather's farm. I had to walk down the lane to his house and pick up the gallon glass jar and take it back home when I got in from school.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,731
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.