Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
The attempt to chip away continues. There is much work to do.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...usetts-assault-weapons-ban-idUSKCN1HD2CW

[quote](Reuters) - A federal judge on Friday upheld a Massachusetts law banning assault weapons including the AR-15, saying the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment guarantee of Americans’ right to bear firearms does not cover them.

FILE PHOTO - AR-15 rifles are displayed for sale at the Guntoberfest gun show in Oaks, Pennsylvania, U.S., October 6, 2017. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts
U.S. District Judge William Young in Boston ruled that assault weapons and large capacity magazines covered by the 1998 law were most useful in military service and fall outside the scope of the Second Amendment’s personal right to bear arms.

“In the absence of federal legislation, Massachusetts is free to ban these weapons and large capacity magazines,” Young wrote.

He also rejected a challenge to an enforcement notice Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey issued in 2016 to gun manufacturers and dealers clarifying what under the law is a “copy” of an assault weapon like the Colt AR-15.

Healey announced that notice after a gunman killed 49 people at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida.

Healey welcomed Young’s ruling. “Strong gun laws save lives, and we will not be intimidated by the gun lobby in our efforts to end the sale of assault weapons and protect our communities and schools,” she said in a statement.

The decision came amid renewed attention to gun violence and firearms ownership after a gunman killed 17 students and staff at a Florida high school in February, prompting a surge of gun control activism by teenage students.

Young acknowledged that the plaintiffs had cited the semi-automatic AR-15 rifle’s popularity in arguing the law must be unconstitutional because it would ban a class of firearms Americans had overwhelming chosen for legal purposes.

“Yet the AR-15’s present-day popularity is not constitutionally material,” Young wrote. “This is because the words of our Constitution are not mutable. They mean the same today as they did 227 years ago when the Second Amendment was adopted.”

The Gun Owners’ Action League of Massachusetts, which was among the plaintiffs who sued in 2017, said in a statement that it was concerned by the ruling, which sets a “dangerous precedent.” It said it would consider its next steps.

The U.S. Supreme Court in 2008 held for the first time that the Second Amendment guaranteed an individual’s right to bear arms, but the ruling applied only to firearms kept in the home for self-defense.

The justices have avoided taking another major gun case for eight years. Most recently, in November, the court refused to hear a case challenging Maryland’s 2013 state ban on assault weapons./quote]

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Figured a militia is military, therefore, requires military arms. That said, an AR15, is not a military arm.

Last edited by benchman; 04/07/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The SCOTUS will squash it, just gonna take time.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I will say this The Democrat party is a dead, one their full of chit on this the illegals the whole thing they stand for

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
FEDERAL JUDGE, appointed by Reagan no less.....

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Harry M,

YEP. And EARL WARREN was appointed by GEN Eisenhower, too.
(Some judges don't turn out to be what the POTUS thought that they'd be.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Basic facts - there are all sorts of lawyers - ranging from highly principled down to dishonest creeps, and ranging from wise upholders of the Constitution down to delusional hacks. And, judges simply are lawyers in robes. If challenged to the limit, that ruling will not sand.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
When the libs tell me our founders never envisioned the modern weapons we could buy today, i tell them they also never envisioned the weapons the govt would develop to abuse us either.

I wonder when it became illegal for folks to have canons.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by CCCC
Basic facts - there are all sorts of lawyers - ranging from highly principled down to dishonest creeps, and ranging from wise upholders of the Constitution down to delusional hacks. And, judges simply are lawyers in robes. If challenged to the limit, that ruling will not sand.

Thats why lowyers become politicians. And, unfortunately, even the best delight in making laws that lead to the ilk of their brethren owning us.

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/07/18.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
The attempt to chip away continues. There is much work to do.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...usetts-assault-weapons-ban-idUSKCN1HD2CW

[quote](Reuters) - A federal judge on Friday upheld a Massachusetts law banning assault weapons including the AR-15, saying the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment guarantee of Americans’ right to bear firearms does not cover them.

FILE PHOTO - AR-15 rifles are displayed for sale at the Guntoberfest gun show in Oaks, Pennsylvania, U.S., October 6, 2017. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts
U.S. District Judge William Young in Boston ruled that assault weapons and large capacity magazines covered by the 1998 law were most useful in military service and fall outside the scope of the Second Amendment’s personal right to bear arms.

“In the absence of federal legislation, Massachusetts is free to ban these weapons and large capacity magazines,” Young wrote.

He also rejected a challenge to an enforcement notice Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey issued in 2016 to gun manufacturers and dealers clarifying what under the law is a “copy” of an assault weapon like the Colt AR-15.

Healey announced that notice after a gunman killed 49 people at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida.

Healey welcomed Young’s ruling. “Strong gun laws save lives, and we will not be intimidated by the gun lobby in our efforts to end the sale of assault weapons and protect our communities and schools,” she said in a statement.

The decision came amid renewed attention to gun violence and firearms ownership after a gunman killed 17 students and staff at a Florida high school in February, prompting a surge of gun control activism by teenage students.

Young acknowledged that the plaintiffs had cited the semi-automatic AR-15 rifle’s popularity in arguing the law must be unconstitutional because it would ban a class of firearms Americans had overwhelming chosen for legal purposes.

“Yet the AR-15’s present-day popularity is not constitutionally material,” Young wrote. “This is because the words of our Constitution are not mutable. They mean the same today as they did 227 years ago when the Second Amendment was adopted.”

The Gun Owners’ Action League of Massachusetts, which was among the plaintiffs who sued in 2017, said in a statement that it was concerned by the ruling, which sets a “dangerous precedent.” It said it would consider its next steps.

The U.S. Supreme Court in 2008 held for the first time that the Second Amendment guaranteed an individual’s right to bear arms, but the ruling applied only to firearms kept in the home for self-defense.

The justices have avoided taking another major gun case for eight years. Most recently, in November, the court refused to hear a case challenging Maryland’s 2013 state ban on assault weapons./quote]

Thing is, we already went down this road once, and it was found that such a ban did nothing to curb shooting deaths and crime, but here we go again.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
What part of "....shall not be infringed." does the judge not understand?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As for believing the U.S. Supreme Court would overrule the decision of the lower court, I believe that it is sheer folly to try and second guess what the Supreme Court would rule on a particular issue, especially firearms.

Just my opinion.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

He must be thinking of the "living and breathing" part.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
As for believing the U.S. Supreme Court would overrule the decision of the lower court, I believe that it is sheer folly to try and second guess what the Supreme Court would rule on a particular issue, especially firearms.

Just my opinion.

L.W.

obamacare

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I agree. What a POS!!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jaguartx

I wonder when it became illegal for folks to have canons.
"Canons" are laws,,, I bet you meant "cannons"..., right? laugh laugh

There's been a ton of 'judges' who 'do not understand' the 2A..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Of course it's ludicrous but in the meantime the judgement stands. We continue to reap the benefits of past republican presidents bowing to the will of the democrats by appointing people to the bench with regards to keep a balanced court. I have never understood the need to keep the court balanced between defending and abolishing the constitution. It's sort of an oxymoron. Jefferson once opined that some future generation might need to physically defend the constitution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not a lack of understanding, but a case of a judge that wants to make law, and not uphold law. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

Just my opinion.

L.W.

I agree. I do not trust Second Amendment rights to anyone wearing a black robe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
gun makers need to make firearms "designed for civilian" use and then let the military adopt them.

not that I think that is necessary but if the only thing that they are basing the rule on is its a military spec weapon, then we can fix that pretty quick

Last edited by KFWA; 04/09/18.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, AdventureBound, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,660 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,456
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.