Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SU35
No wow factor here.

When working for Winchester ammunition I shot 223's shooting FMJ's into hundreds of gel blocks and had the same results of what you see on that video.

ANY high power rifle will do this and knock that gel block off the table.

All Barnes has to do is add a little more water to the animal fat gel content and get a more explosive effect. They can easily manipulate the results any way they want.

Barnes, what a joke.

SU ze;

Put the bottle down, no drinking mid-week, partner.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jasonkjasonk
I don't know that their marketing is a joke or dirtball-ish.

For the average Joe it's pretty cool to watch and maybe they learn something about hydrostatic shock too. Who doesn't use their shock and awe cool stuff marketing for the public, the company that goes under I'd say.

It's exactly what you called it.... Marketing. I don't think that makes them a bad company.

No kidding, advertising is 75% of the game. Heck I watched a BowTech commercial where an arrow disintegrated a target, can a BowTech really do that ???

If it looks cool and works miracles folks will buy it!!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Oh Spikey boy.....

Shooting that gel block is like shooting a watermelon. WOW!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What a slam from a few idiots. EVERY company does their best to market. All are shaded a bit in their favor the best they can. Thats marketing. Duh...

I'm sure a cup and core would be similar.

But I'll bet the farm that SU is WRONG. I"ve never seen a FMJ expand from the point backwards with petals. Since you want to pick nits about it.... Come on the HUA syndrome seems thick here on this thread for a few.

I"ll argue you all day that teh X series is a superb bullet and my choice when it counts. But there are other good bullets out there.

But an expanding FMJ?? Give us a break dude. Next thing you'll tell us is that Barnes is the force behind the no lead bullets in KA bill.....

As to the 2000 fps comment, yep you are dead on with that one. I"d love to see the results from many speeds.

Heck if I had the capabilities, the ideal thing (and this may be shown in that one dvd mentioned) is all brands of bullets into the same gel at a set of speeds, say 1500,2000,2500,3000 and 3500 fps impact speeds. The gel may be showing things that don't exactly happen like that, but it would be an apples to apples comparison anyway. Much like BC testing, done with same rifle, different bullets, same day, you get much more comparable results than different days, rifles and bullets.....

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"But an expanding FMJ?? Give us a break dude."

Give me a break dude.

Where did I say the FMJ would expand? I did'nt.

What I did say was that it would not matter what 30 caliber 180 bullet you were shooting the visual affects or explosive performance would be the same.

I can tell by looking at the video that Barnes watered down the jel to make a more explosive visual.

I also never said Barnes was not a superb bullet, for some it is and that's fine.

I am saying that Barnes is manipulating normal calberated gel block test to their advantage to WOW! the little boy in all of us.

Barnes has a record of not really being very professional in their test, bullet BC's, and reloading data.

But then who cares....

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Su,

Be careful. The truth is never popular....

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
To take a qoute from Harry S. Truman - " They thought I was giving them Hell, I just told the truth and that was Hell..."

I would like to see a Sierra JHPBT vs. a Barnes X -bullet at 2,000 fps in a jell photo comparision.

Sierra would probably sale a few bullets...........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bash em all you want, I like em & use em.
Still want to hunt some of them Jell-Os. Bang Flops most likely with the Barnes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35

I am saying that Barnes is manipulating normal calberated gel block test to their advantage to WOW! the little boy in all of us.

Of course you have solid proof to back up your claim?

Frankly, even if Barnes did manipulate the gel, I don't care. The purpose was to demonstrate certain aspects of the bullet performance and the video does that well - perhaps much better than with 'normal' gel.

My own water jug tests with Barnes 180g MRX at around 3100fps leaves no doubt in my mind that the TSX/MRX design is a very, very good one. Dang sure wish I had a high-speed video camera... I suppose you would dismiss my tests because they used pure well water...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Whose bashing Barnes bullets? I'm certainly not. I would never do that.

Hunters here have been edumacating us on their usage on big game now for some time.
To bad their high priest got booted though.

It really does not matter if they did add extra water, the same results would take place be it a Barnes or a Sierra.

These water test really prove nothing, Now, the way I would do it and did...I made the gel heavier in content and added cow bones into the jello and used 3 blocks back to back. Now that's a test. I also loaded down the bullet to an impact velocity of
2,200 fps
Tested them TSX's out using this system, yup them Barnes plow through them bones and jello alright. Those long 6.5' 130's would go all the way through and for my money...SD does matter.

"I suppose you would dismiss my tests because they used pure well water..."

No, no, no...

If you like to watch water blow up and call them your test.
That's great. There's a good WOW! factor to them.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hey Y'all, look at this."

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
coyote hunter, tell me more info about the mrx. I am currently trying them out and any information of performance would be helpful.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by blammer
cool, anyone notice that in the 308 one that the end of the gel block has a face on it?

So help me, if you say the face looked like Jesus........... smile
A grilled cheese sandwich is bad enough--but ballistic gel? grin

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kyreloader
coyote hunter, tell me more info about the mrx. I am currently trying them out and any information of performance would be helpful.

kyreloader �

As yet I have not had an opportunity to try them on game, only the water jugs, paper and steel. But I can provide some accuracy info for the 180g .308� variety as shot from my .300 Win Mag.

For comparison purposes, the 180g TSX do 3038fps over H4350 and yielded a 0.85� 4-shot group at 100 yards. That load has a roll crimp into a groove. For the most part, various loads with this rifle tend to com in at 1.0 to 1.3�.

The same load with the MRX put 4 shots into 1.7� with 3 of the 4 in 1.25�. Without the roll crimp it put 4 shots into 3.3� with 3 of the 4 in 0.90�. I suspect the 4th shot was my error.

For powders I am finding that H4350 works better than H4831SC, H1000, or Retumbo. Re25 worked well in the velocity department but I was shooting gongs and have no accuracy data for Re25.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 03/09/07.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
#@%$(*& awsome! Check out each bullet on barnes' website they have the same kind of footage for some of they're others

Tact is knowing how to tell someone to go to hell, and have them thank you for it.

NRA Life Member, BAA Life Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Cool video. I'm still a firm believer that the TSX is the bullet to beat right now.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I always like the WOW factor of shooting.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Guys, 11 years before the TSX came out, GS Custom in South Africa implemented the concept, only better. GS uses small driving bands that give low pressure and little fouling. Barnes still has way too much bearing surface on their TSX, and there are still field reports of lack of expansion at range.

check these out: www.gscustom.co.za

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You know, if Barnes had used a live Whitetail, somebody would bitch because it wasn't a Muledeer.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Now, the way I would do it and did...I made the gel heavier in content and added cow bones into the jello and used 3 blocks back to back. Now that's a test. I also loaded down the bullet to an impact velocity of
2,200 fps
Tested them TSX's out using this system, yup them Barnes plow through them bones and jello alright. Those long 6.5' 130's would go all the way through and for my money...SD does matter.

SU35,

Unless I missed it you didn't mention how the other bullets fared in your gelatin and cow bone test? Specifically, Sierra Game Kings and Nosler Partitions, if those were among the bullets tested. I'm just curious. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,791
Posts18,477,334
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.