Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Speed limits are set for a reason. Twenty over is grossly irresposible and will likely get your license pulled, your car impounded and a free ride to see the judge around here. Which is as it should be.

Where are you from?
I don't even want to visit there.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Speed limits are set for a reason. Twenty over is grossly irresposible and will likely get your license pulled, your car impounded and a free ride to see the judge around here. Which is as it should be.

In San Antonio you can ask for deferred adjudication (6 mos/1 year probation then it goes away) or ask to make it go away with a defensive driving class for anything up to 25 over the limit.

On I10 to El Paso the posted speed limit is 80mph. On I37 to Corpus from here the speed limit is 75, fast lane usually runs about 90, 90 plus.

Been a few years since I drove to El Paso so cannot comment for sure, pretty fast IIRC.

Doesn’t prove anything but the only time I ever hit anyone was about 35 years ago. She was at a stop sign in a quiet neighborhood turning right, started to go but suddenly stopped. Since I was already looking left the front wheel of my motorcycle lightly scuffed her rear fender. She got out all PO’d but decided it wasn’t worth making a scene over.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 700LH

Where are you from?
So you'd prefer someplace where the cops look the other way for white, middle class lawbreakers I suppose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Where are you from?
So you'd prefer someplace where the cops look the other way for white, middle class lawbreakers I suppose.

Was that what I said?
GFY

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm in the process of getting my 3rd CC permit renewal. The Sheriffs office has streamlined the process a great deal but I needed to show up to sign release of information forms including one for the County mental Health office. They look for records of treatment for any sort of disqualifying conditions.

I said I was pleased not to have to go back the the Mental Health office in person because the receptionist over there had annoyed me with a snarky remark about, "Why do you think you need a gun anyway?" The deputy just shook her head and said "They never should have asked that". She seemed pretty genuine with her remark.

I have a sense that in general LEOs have grown much more conformable with law abiding folks being armed.... I also have a sense that the % of snowflakes working in the Mental Health field remains pretty high.

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

Speed limits are set for a reason...revenue.
They're also set for safety. You'd not look kindly on someone doing 20 over right after they killed your wife, mother, child or grandchild with their irresponsible, foolish driving habits.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Where are you from?

grin

Dude! I’ve been living in a highly Hispanicised environment fer like 30 years now. And then, ever since gender became an option, I realized race hadda be an option too. This is America and you can be anything you want, which is exactly why they include all those boxes you can check cool

Yepper, I’m Hispanic now. Yo.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Where are you from?

Was that what I said?
GFY
You may as well have so f*ck you very much.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Where are you from?

grin

Dude! I’ve been living in a highly Hispanicised environment fer like 30 years now. And then, ever since gender became an option, I realized race hadda be an option too. This is America and you can be anything you want, which is exactly why they include all those boxes you can check cool

Yepper, I’m Hispanic now. Yo.
WTF does that have to do with the price of tea in China ? The response you quoted above was not to you.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Around here, they ignore 5 over, but will discuss it with you @ 10 over. At 15 over, you WILL get a ticket.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
3 speeding tickets in 45+ years of driving, one of them back in the 55 everywhere days. +/- one about every 15 years.Last one was around 2004 or so. Getting close to time I think. I better be careful. laugh

Geno

PS, general rule of thumb I was taught by some LEO's is 10% over you'll generally not get cited, at least up to the 70MPH limit. Never drove where the limit is 80.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Where are you from?

Yes I do. They’re the ones pulling the load and should get more discretion. I don’t personally favor more laws and don’t think they do much except justify and employ an entire racketeering based system predicated upon minor bullish.it and in the name of keeping us safe from ourselves. They’re protecting us because we can’t do it for ourselves.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Around here, they ignore 5 over, but will discuss it with you @ 10 over. At 15 over, you WILL get a ticket.

IME what can screw ya in NM is the fact that the suggested speed signs before the corners is the ACTUAL SPEED LIMIT. Different than everywhere else I’ve been. One time I was on a motorcycle outside of Angel Fire on my way to Silverton CO having a fine ol’ time in the mountains, I look in the mirror and there’s a NM State Trooper on my tail, all lit up, shades and stern expression.

Oh boy..... frown

Just then God intervened and sent a kid on a four-wheeler, flying down the asphalt in the opposite direction grin Cop hits the brakes, does about the fastest three point turn I’ve seen, and takes off in pursuit.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Where are you from?

Yes I do. They’re the ones pulling the load and should get more discretion. I don’t personally favor more laws and don’t think they do much except justify and employ an entire racketeering based system predicated upon minor bullish.it and in the name of keeping us safe from ourselves. They’re protecting us because we can’t do it for ourselves.
I disagree. The law should be applied equally across the board. I do wish there were alot fewer laws though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

IME what can screw ya in NM is the fact that the suggested speed signs before the corners is the ACTUAL SPEED LIMIT. Different than everywhere else I’ve been. One time I was on a motorcycle outside of Angel Fire on my way to Silverton CO having a fine ol’ time in the mountains, I look in the mirror and there’s a NM State Trooper on my tail, all lit up, shades and stern expression.

Oh boy..... frown

Just then God intervened and sent a kid on a four-wheeler, flying down the asphalt in the opposite direction grin Cop hits the brakes, does about the fastest three point turn I’ve seen, and takes off in pursuit.

Birdie,

Are those "suggestion" signs yellow or white? If yellow, NM is way off base compared to every other state I've driven in.

Of course, there's always the caveat of "never drive faster than is safe", and the officer is welcome in the eyes of many courts to decide what is safe. Thankfully, most I've run across don't use that tactic.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Where are you from?

I disagree. The law should be applied equally across the board. I do wish there were alot fewer laws though.

Yeah, but your a [bleep] ing idiot

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

They're also set for safety. You'd not look kindly on someone doing 20 over right after they killed your wife, mother, child or grandchild with their irresponsible, foolish driving habits.

You must be either too young, or too stupid to remember the double nickle.

It had nothing to do with safety.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

You must be either too young, or too stupid to remember the double nickle.

It had nothing to do with safety.
I remember it just fine azzhole. That doesn't mean most speed limits aren't set with road conditions and public safety in mind because they certainly are.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Speed limits are set for a reason..

some cops also agree wth gun ownership limits( assault rife ban) and magazine capacity limits.... whistle

They're also set for safety. You'd not look kindly on someone doing 20 over right after they killed your wife,
mother, child or grandchild with their irresponsible, foolish driving habits.

I would much prefer a new Mercedes with the latest array of driver assist gizmos and gadgets 'doing 20 over'
than a wobbly old pickup sticking to the 'safe' speed limit.

yet bureaucracy says the Merc. is the danger on the road.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Oh boy..... frown

Birdie,

Are those "suggestion" signs yellow or white? If yellow, NM is way off base compared to every other state I've driven in.

Of course, there's always the caveat of "never drive faster than is safe", and the officer is welcome in the eyes of many courts to decide what is safe. Thankfully, most I've run across don't use that tactic.

Geno

It’s been about six or seven years, but I’m remembering yellow, maybe the NM crowd can correct me.

I have a good friend that lives in Capitan, and at the time the curve-nazi Cop writing tickets at the turns in the highway over the Indian Divide was pi$$ing ever’body off.

IIRC for motorcycles a general rule of thumb, is, on an agile motorcycle, whatever he suggested speed is on a given curve you can comfortably double that without running out of your lane on asphalt. Obviously, in NM, this could get expensive.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (3dtestify, 7887mm08, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 12 invisible), 987 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,129
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.