Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I saw a video of a ghetto mother whoopin' her teen age son with a belt. Hailed as a stern mother, that's all good, right? No, it's not. To me dad should be whoopin' him.

My parents came out of the mountains around Grundy Virginia in the mid 50's. My sister was born in Virginia in 1955 just before they moved. My older brother in 1957, me in 1959 and my younger brother in 1961. My parents essentially stayed in that Appalachian mindset as much as the could their entire life. They associated with Appalachian people mostly, others more distantly.

From birth until 9-10 years old us boys belonged to mom, nurturing and discipline, dad only whooped us occasionally. At 9-10 we became dad's. Big program change, the nurturing part was over for the most part and dad owned your azz. Discipline was hard, being with dad was like walking on egg shells. He didn't use a belt or paddle, he had a 5 foot hickory switch that he peeled, fire hardened and rubbed down with linseed oil. That thing would raise welts through your clothes and on bare skin could make you bleed a bit. Dad used to say, " This house is mine, that dog is mine and you are mine."

We started working with him at 9 years old. Every summer, after school sometimes, and every Saturday. He was a residential building contractor. On the job discipline was with a 4-5 foot 2x4. By the time I was 13 I was expected to know the tasks I was given and to do a man's days labor. The good side of that is when I was 16 I went to another contractor and made $7 and hour. $7 and hour for a 16 year old in 1976 was damn good money.

At 16 one evening at dinner I told my dad, " Monday I'm starting with Bob Masley" . I had expected to take a bit of a whoopin', didn't happen, but I was determined I would go no matter what. My dad said, " Did I say you could get another job?" I said "Nope" looking right at him. He just said, " You better work good for Bob." You see, in our family a son could tarnish the fathers name and his reputation.

So how does that stack up against how you other Appalachian guys were raised.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not Appalachian, but it sounds like your Dad did a good job. I agree with him about sons reflecting on their fathers.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sounds fun.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My dad was a drunk, a gambler and a womanizer. I worshiped him.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My Dad Was a Hands off kind of Guy....He was just the man that showed up after 5 and switched the TV Channels no matter what you were watching............ cool

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That actually doesn't sound too far off of the way the ancient Spartans raised their sons.

In different words, your Dad was telling you, "Come back with your shield, or on it."

Last edited by picturerock; 06/22/18.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead

You got some Saturday Night Fever going on there?

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sounds alot like my Dad! but he was off a Farm in Tenn. we worked alot, but didnt get hit unless we did something wrong!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
the appalachian country is where i grew up, down on dusty red dirt road.

worked a lot of minimum wage jobs paying high school costs, and through college.

usually had two jobs when in college, one during the week and the other on weekends.

and the summers were all work, all of the time that one could. plenty of folks still like that.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I respected my dad so much that he didn't have to whip me. All he had to do is look at me with disgust and I was shamed and sorry. He did spank me a couple of times when I was young, but it didn't do much. They knew things I considered punishment, such as staying inside instead of playing with my buddies, and that was worse than whipping to me. Oh yeah....we are from a long line of mountain folks. I spent my life trying to be like Dad, and raise my kids the same way he did. It has worked so far!

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I worked too from a young age, a big right fist from a former marine drill Sargent hurts. I learned to do exactly what he said, when he said to do it.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I saw a video of a ghetto mother whoopin' her teen age son with a belt. Hailed as a stern mother, that's all good, right? No, it's not. To me dad should be whoopin' him.

My parents came out of the mountains around Grundy Virginia in the mid 50's. My sister was born in Virginia in 1955 just before they moved. My older brother in 1957, me in 1959 and my younger brother in 1961. My parents essentially stayed in that Appalachian mindset as much as the could their entire life. They associated with Appalachian people mostly, others more distantly.

From birth until 9-10 years old us boys belonged to mom, nurturing and discipline, dad only whooped us occasionally. At 9-10 we became dad's. Big program change, the nurturing part was over for the most part and dad owned your azz. Discipline was hard, being with dad was like walking on egg shells. He didn't use a belt or paddle, he had a 5 foot hickory switch that he peeled, fire hardened and rubbed down with linseed oil. That thing would raise welts through your clothes and on bare skin could make you bleed a bit. Dad used to say, " This house is mine, that dog is mine and you are mine."

We started working with him at 9 years old. Every summer, after school sometimes, and every Saturday. He was a residential building contractor. On the job discipline was with a 4-5 foot 2x4. By the time I was 13 I was expected to know the tasks I was given and to do a man's days labor. The good side of that is when I was 16 I went to another contractor and made $7 and hour. $7 and hour for a 16 year old in 1976 was damn good money.

At 16 one evening at dinner I told my dad, " Monday I'm starting with Bob Masley" . I had expected to take a bit of a whoopin', didn't happen, but I was determined I would go no matter what. My dad said, " Did I say you could get another job?" I said "Nope" looking right at him. He just said, " You better work good for Bob." You see, in our family a son could tarnish the fathers name and his reputation.

So how does that stack up against how you other Appalachian guys were raised.

Sounds a lot like my Dad, you have my condolences.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by picturerock
That actually doesn't sound too far off of the way the ancient Spartans raised their sons.

Except for the part where the Spartans handed their boys of to pederasts for military training.

Dad was pretty strict and handy with a belt. I started driving tractor two four hour shifts six days a week at five. Dad bucked hay bales for all the neighboring farms. Me on the tractor and him loading the trailer and stacking by his self.

By 12 I was irrigating, feeding, and milking cows. Milking was a two hour job before school every day. Feeding and milking in the evening was from the time we stepped off the school bus to about 9:00 PM.

When I went to work forty hour weeks, it was like vacation.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by reivertom
I respected my dad so much that he didn't have to whip me. All he had to do is look at me with disgust and I was shamed and sorry. He did spank me a couple of times when I was young, but it didn't do much. They knew things I considered punishment, such as staying inside instead of playing with my buddies, and that was worse than whipping to me. Oh yeah....we are from a long line of mountain folks. I spent my life trying to be like Dad, and raise my kids the same way he did. It has worked so far!

Reiver, My Dad was the same way with me, my brothers, and sisters... All he had to do was change the tone in his voice and you knew it was time to listen. I remember being spanked once at about age 6 and deserved it.

I loved being around my Dad and there was always lots of work to do when I was growing up, but, on the same token he knew how to have fun with his kids when the time came.

Like you reiver, I've tried to do the same type of parenting and I'd say it worked pretty well for my wife and I with our kids.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Steelhead

so was my DAD. but he was also a moonshiner.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't say I grew up in Applachia, but we had similar experiences and expectations. I wish I had a nickle for every time my dad told me to give a good day's work to get a good day's pay. I started working at about 8 years old. I used to rake leaves for the divorced lady up the street. Other odd jobs too. I started trapping when I was 10. My older brother would wire the jaws open on the traps for me until I was strong enough to set them for my self. I'd lay out the set then cut the wire. 'Rats and coon mostly-a mink once in a while, and beaver when I got older. Money was always tight around the house, and my brother and I chipped in as best we could. I used to pick worms, and seine minnows in the summer to sell to the fishermen going to a lake near us. I also swam the ponds on a nearby golf course and picked up the golf balls, cleaned them up and sold them back to the golfers. I got .35 ea, or 3 for $1.00. The shags we sold to a driving range for .07 a piece. In the fall, we hunted squirrel and rabbit when we weren't running traps. We'd sell squirrel tails to Mepps when we had enough to make it worthwhile. We ate a lot of small game, as we'd be out of venison by fall, and we needed meat on the table.

I'd like to think Dad's proud of the work ethic I've had over the years. I owe it to him. I'm proud to say I've never collected one cent of unemployment benefits, and this while growing up in the northeast Ohio Rust Belt economy. I can't say I'm a real hillbilly, but I sure respect their ability to keep roofs over their heads and food on the table no matter what.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Discipline or child abuse? If someone struck my child w/ a closed fist or a 2x4 I would kill them. Were I to do the same thing to my kids I would deserve the same treatment. Children that are abused frequently visit the same treatment on their children.

Kids deserve the opportunity to learn to excel, that is best taught in the home by example. To equate brutality w/ discipline is ignorance.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Discipline or child abuse? If someone struck my child w/ a closed fist or a 2x4 I would kill them. Were I to do the same thing to my kids I would deserve the same treatment. Children that are abused frequently visit the same treatment on their children.

Kids deserve the opportunity to learn to excel, that is best taught in the home by example. To equate brutality w/ discipline is ignorance.

mike r

+1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We are the same age. At 17 I made $2.15 an hour.

You and yours did good.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nothing like some good old fashioned kid beatin' to pass the time, and instill the qualities that make a good man......

Yeah, I grew up that way. This is much the reason I have spent the last several years putting folks who treat their kids like that in jail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,134
Posts18,502,671
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.