Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
My 17 year old is weighing college, trade schools or military service after high school and seems to be leaning towards the military so I'd appreciate hearing the pros/cons on your experience with the different branches. Also, any advice on what to consider before/when signing the contract are also appreciated. BTW - thank you in advance for your service!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Small units and lots of responsibility early on, USCG.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Learn a trade while in service.....mechanic, medical, SP/MP, electronic repair, etc. That way when he/she is out of the service, there is a skill-set to help land a job

Last edited by sackett; 07/24/18.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mine is looking at the AF.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
How well did he do on the ASVAB test. What's his AFQT (Armed Forces Qualifying Test) score?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With the current trans-sexual/homosexual policy crammed down one's throat, I could not recommend the armed services to anyone. I served 26 years, split between the Marine Corps (14) and Navy (12)

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i always say that the best thing i ever did was go into the AF. the second best thing i ever did was to get out of the AF

if he can get a guaranteed job, not just a guaranteed career field, i'd say its a good move for a young man these days.

My diploma is a DD214
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Ditto on what sackett said. Pick a trade. I did 5 in the usmc. Infantry. Not a lot of options when you get out that are easy on body. There a reason they call it the suck. Any of the branches would be ok. Have a buddy in the Air Force and he loved it. If he can stay out of trouble it a good course. Lots of bad influence for a young mind though.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My son joined the Army Reserve while in High School. Basic training between his junior and senior year, AIT after graduation, then on to college at Oklahoma State.

One thing we did for both of our kids was send them through the Johnson O'Connor Institute which measures those things that the person has a natural attribute for. It takes 1 ½ days and it was worth the money we spent. They won't tell you what you should do for a career or vocation but they will tell you what things would come naturally to you and what would not.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sackett
Learn a trade while in service.....mechanic, medical, SP/MP, electronic repair, etc. That way when he/she is out of the service, there is a skill-set to help land a job

Beat me to it! If he knows the area he wants to get a trade skill in later on, there is a good chance the military has an MOS that will prep him or at least something similar. I would say that if the reserves are in the picture, to check into each unit that would be a possibility. Most reserve units have a specific specialty. My reserve unit was a line company so I was automatically 0311, if I had been closer to Texarkana I could have been Motor T. All based on geography. If a suitable MOS isn’t close proximity, then active duty may be the ticket.

Last edited by philgood80; 07/24/18.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Service can pave the road to success and a career in later life, albeit with inherent risks. Tell him to choose a specific path and look beyond to the future as he considers such things.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I was in basic with a 17 year old, I think it is too young.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nephew just joined AF, although he is 25 with a college degree. Off to Aircraft Controller School

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's not just a job...

grin

It's $96.22 a week

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I joined the Navy at 17.
While in boot camp, all the options the Navy had to offer were presented like commercials.
The day they introduced us to Submarines, I was sold.
I finished boot camp, went on to Enlisted Submarine School for 12 weeks, then was assigned to Nuclear Power Fast Attacks.
I reported on board as a Fireman Apprentice, E2. Was assigned to A-gang and started working towards becoming an Engineman.
By the time I was 21yrs. old I was an E5 2nd class PO Engineman.
A year later, I decided to muster out, and pursue the same trade I was involved with in the Navy.
The HVAC trade which was part of the A-gangs responsibility on Subs.
Within 5 yrs. I was self-employed as a Mech. Contractor and that lasted for 32yrs.
I retired, started teaching my trade at a Community College for another 11 yrs. and retired as an Assoc. Professor.
My life changed because of a one hr. presentation at boot camp.
The NAVY was the best thing that ever happened to me as a young man. The choice I made to go all in for Submarine duty
set me up to continue going to school, when your not on deployment you train, then train some more.
Sub duty is not for everyone, for me it was life altering at 17yrs. old.
Joe

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Nebraska
My 17 year old is weighing college, trade schools or military service after high school and seems to be leaning towards the military so I'd appreciate hearing the pros/cons on your experience with the different branches. Also, any advice on what to consider before/when signing the contract are also appreciated. BTW - thank you in advance for your service!

Everybody I've known that had a career or even decent schooling in the Air Force has had no trouble finding good jobs when they get out.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
USMC

I got $70.00 PER MONTH!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I have no military experience. But I'd try to talk him out of any branch of service that might land him in the Middle East.

There's too many Communists who still have influence in America's foreign policy. They'll spend American boys like Kleenex.

Steelhead mentioned the USCG. I agree with him. I suggested the USCG to my son a few years ago. I wish he had taken my advice. He's a smart young guy and can swim like a fish.

He had his own ideas, however.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Best deal ever. Unfortunately more young men don't recognize the return.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If he has any interest in the medical field, he might get a good head start on being an RN or PA later on.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (1936M71, admin, 44mc, 7887mm08, 8 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,644
Posts18,533,702
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.