Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'd say go for it. What could possibly go wrong?

Me, I just wanted to be a Marine, do a four year enlistment, and get out.

I joined up under the Combat Arms Bonus Program in 1979. Got a $2500 bonus and ended up in an Artillery MOS 0849 Shore Fire Control Party Man (Naval Gunfire Forward Observer). Later rolled into the MOS 0861, Fire Support Man (Artillery and Naval Gunfire Forward Observer).

Ended up staying on active duty for over 25 years. Went lots of places, did lots of things. met lots of great people. It was a great career. Wouldn't change any of it.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My 18 year old just graduated and he is considering the Marines. He talked to other recruiters but his mind is set. We shall see what happens. I didn’t serve and wish I had. If it’s what he wants I will support him 100%.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I enlisted as an 11C mortarman, and it trained me for nothing whatsoever in the civilian world. I had a lot of fun in the 82nd Abn. Div., but nothing other than leadership principles comes to mind for civilian life.

However, I do see that it gave me a pretty good work ethic, something most folks nowadays don't ever see, and I learned leadership skills that SHOULD apply at work, but I never see (and that distresses me a helluva lot). You can't lead from behind a desk, you have to get out in front of it something I never, ever see at the job.

All in all, despite my complaints about training for civilian life, it was a great experience for me. I learned also that my job is pitiful about training, and especially continuing, on-site training, something the Army is really, really good at doing.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
One thing we did for both of our kids was send them through the Johnson O'Connor Institute which measures those things that the person has a natural attribute for. It takes 1 ½ days and it was worth the money we spent. They won't tell you what you should do for a career or vocation but they will tell you what things would come naturally to you and what would not.

That sounds like a great idea! Showed that to the wife and will probably do for both of our kids as well as part of their graduation gift now!

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
How well did he do on the ASVAB test. What's his AFQT (Armed Forces Qualifying Test) score?

A school friend's Dad (in the DEA) said he should join the Coast Guard as a mechanic and that really got his wheels spinning for the service but he hasn't taken the ASVAB test yet. He does well in school (favors math/science) and with extra curricular activities/sports (in robotics - likes to build, not code, swimming, baseball). He received student athlete awards Sophomore and Junior year based on teacher/coach recommendations (they all love him). He's a very hard worker (has his own lawn service) and a teacher's heart (recruited by his swim instructors to help teach swim classes). He's a conservative straight arrow with high integrity, self-discipline, self-restraint and very mature for his age (must skip a generation LOL!!). He loves the outdoors and is naturally drawn to designing/building.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Our youngest had a year in college then went into the AF. Had high ASVAB scores and got the job she wanted. She got out last year and is working as a Cardiac/respiratory therapist doing very well for herself....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
If he is a mature 17 then the military can be a good thing, if he is immature probably not so much.

I am speaking from personal experience from many years ago - I went into the Air Force at 17, a week after I graduated high school, at the time I went in I was immature and a bit directionless, by the time I got out of Basic Training and Technical School I was a different person. I not only had a skill but I had a life plan that served me well. Thanks to the training I received those many years ago I was retired by 60 and have three retirement incomes. Admittedly I did not go into the military with that as a goal but the values and skills they gave me enabled it.
Not only did it provide me with the skills and mind-set but it introduced me to a whole new life - I met folks from all over the US, it broadened my outlook on differences in folks from all part of the country - the most amazing thing to me is that we are more alike than different. I would much rather see young folks try the military rather than wasting a year or two at college with no idea of what they want to achieve.

Things may have changed a bit through the years but the Air Force and Navy both have excellent technical schools, the Marines and the Army
generally are more interested in warm bodies rather than skills.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by okie
Our youngest had a year in college then went into the AF. Had high ASVAB scores and got the job she wanted. She got out last year and is working as a Cardiac/respiratory therapist doing very well for herself....

Last weekend in September. I miss you guys.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Join the Air Force or Air National Guard. Almost all af jobs have a civilian equivalent. 21 years in intelligence and still counting.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by okie

Hence my earlier question to the OP.

High scores, guaranteed slot, or ROTC with a scholarship can be a good deal. Lows scores and "Needs of the Army", while bullets are flying, might not be so good.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by blairvt
Join the Air Force or Air National Guard. Almost all af jobs have a civilian equivalent. 21 years in intelligence and still counting.

Intel's a great gig.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I joined the Marine Corps at 17 and never looked back. There were times that sucked and times that were unbelievable. Ended up serving over 25 years. I’m retired now and both of my siblings have degrees and will be working until they are much older but I hear the retirement system may be changing. If I was a smart young man and could turn back time, I’d get my degree and become a officer.

The way of the future as I saw it when I retired 4 years ago was all computer, network, intel type fields and I believe that will last a long time and give a skill if he was to do a 4 year tour. However, the intangible benefits that can seem mundane like swabbing decks, cleaning toilets etc. all have a purpose for a young man just entering like unselfishness, discipline etc. I think these things are incalculable in terms of what you learn.

Those jobs are menial and meant to be but only for a short duration. Young men quickly become leaders of men, money and equipment. Skills that will last a lifetime. It’s not for everyone but certainly a young man could do worse. There is that one thing, serving your Country! I’ll always be proud of that.

I served on recruiting duty but a long time ago. If I can help in anyway don’t hesitate to ask. Good luck to your son.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I enlisted as an 11C mortarman, and it trained me for nothing whatsoever in the civilian world. I had a lot of fun in the 82nd Abn. Div., but nothing other than leadership principles comes to mind for civilian life.

However, I do see that it gave me a pretty good work ethic, something most folks nowadays don't ever see, and I learned leadership skills that SHOULD apply at work, but I never see (and that distresses me a helluva lot). You can't lead from behind a desk, you have to get out in front of it something I never, ever see at the job.

All in all, despite my complaints about training for civilian life, it was a great experience for me. I learned also that my job is pitiful about training, and especially continuing, on-site training, something the Army is really, really good at doing.

Absolutely. Ratsmacker summed it up perfectly (Airborne!). I was 11B and had almost identical experiences.

If his heart is not set on a specific field or branch, please consider ROTC in college. The program will often pay a lot for critical job skills. The Commissioned Officer branch pay, retirement, and job opportunities outside are much better than the enlisted side. And they don't clean toilets daily.

My good Officers were worth their weight in gold, and the men would recon Hell for them. You don't get that too much in the civilian world.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
CG is the toughest to get into and requires the highest test scores of any branch. One of the great things about it is the small size and you feel less like a number an more like a 'family' member.

Plus, not being on big bases and generally living in the community, keeps one from becoming 'institutionalized'

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
I definitely want him to be prepared for the ASVAB. Any recommendations on preparation/study courses to ensure he tests to the best of his ability?

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Thats a tough one!

I have three little kids and I bet the question will come up eventually.

I am going to STRONGLY encourage them towards a trade, not the military.

If they dont go for that I will STRONGLY encourage them to stay in said branch of military as a career.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You can get books for it and online stuff. I just took it, because that was forever ago.

If he does well in school, he should be fine.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I went in at barely 18 for 21years,6years usateu.The shape the VA is in right now I would say no.Im 100%disabled and have to fight for everything.not worth it anymore

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Recommendation #1: Go in as an officer - more money, more perks, larger moving allowance, better job possibilities. That means GO TO COLLEGE! There are many military programs to get him through.

#2: Air Force has the best housing, Navy has the best food, Marines have the most fighting and the Army has the best...nothing.

#3. Don't do anything in the military that has to do with computers. Their hardware and software are often proprietary, meaning they have NO application when you get out. It really sucks to have 20 years experience in computer work in the military, only to find you have to completely relearn your skill set when you look for a civilian job.

#4 Almost anything in the medical field is a great idea for future civilian life. Take advantage of ALL the training courses and college plans available.

I graduated college with a degree in English, sprinkled with a few math and science courses. When I found out that no one was knocking down my door to hire me as CEO of their company as an English major, I decided to "be all I could be" and join the Air Force. The AF sent me to a certificate program in Meteorologly (basically all of the upper level courses needed for a degree), and then, after a few years experience, to a Master's Degree program at one of the best schools in the nation. Both of these programs were full-time, all books, fees and tuition paid, along with free housing AND an officer's paycheck! I didn't even have to wear a uniform to school!

My wife and I had a baby before I went in to the military, and the fee for 1 day in the hospital was over $2000. Now this was when I was earning less than $500 a month full-time working in a bank - it took years to pay off. After entering the AF, our first kid cost us a total of $12 for my wife to spend 3 days in the hospital - they only charge you for meals! And it was a VERY good military hospital.

FINAL PIECE OF ADVICE: don't trust ANYTHING the recruiter tells you unless it is in writing and you have a copy! All worked out well for me, but I heard plenty of heartbreaking stories during my years in the military about flat-out lies told by recruiters to make their quota.

Best of luck!

Last edited by czech1022; 07/24/18.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I definitely want him to be prepared for the ASVAB. Any recommendations on preparation/study courses to ensure he tests to the best of his ability?

ASVAB is an IQ test. It's a very accurate IQ test. The AFTQ scores is your IQ percentile ranking. 70's the minimum to qualify as an officer.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/24/18.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I had emergency surgery last Friday,the VA let me lay on the floor for 18days this month with a ruptured disc,my family had to find a surgeon because the VA wouldn’t help me or get me help,is this what you people want to happen to your children?not me.Veterans deserve better and are given less.Warn your loved ones first,they deserve better.

Last edited by sandpit; 07/24/18.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 3,168 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,710
Posts18,534,869
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.