Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Which cartridge would you build it around?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Purely for accuracy I'd think hard about one of the PPC rounds (22/6mm). Of the many good benchrest rounds, the PPC case is easy to do in an AR, with readily available bolts and magazines.

My personal choice was the 243 LBC which is very similar to the 6mm PPC, just .070" longer at the shoulder, and no neck turning. My choice wasn't based on purely accuracy though, but also other things like range, trajectory, and bullet choices.

Last edited by Yondering; 07/25/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
call dtech and get a 12 twist 223,

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It has been proven to me several times that a 6ppc is the most accurate cartridge around..........but it also can be finicky, If I were building an AR purely for accuracy it would be a 222 Remington. More accurate any day of the week than a 223 and not finicky

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I wonder if the 6Creedmoor will become the standard for accuracy. I don't know enough about it to say but it fits the profile. But then again, you were talking about the AR 15 platform so it's a moot point.

Last edited by Landrum; 07/26/18.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good info guys. The reason I ask is because I have my eye on a nice LWRC lower that is exactly how I would have built it for a precision rifle: PRS stock, geiselle SSA-E trigger, k2+ grip and all ambidextrous. As far as barrels go, I will tell you which ones I won't use this time: Noveske or Wilson. Only because I have both right now and I'd like to try something different. I'm thinking WOA or maybe something you guys might suggest.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Merely for punching paper? Range?

NRA Life Member
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep. Mostly punching paper. Maybe sage rats. Range: sub 600 yards. For those that know about the black rifle challenge here and those who have participated in that shoot, they know what I'm after....Tiny 10 shot groups at a mere 100 yards would be a good starting point.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Good info guys. The reason I ask is because I have my eye on a nice LWRC lower that is exactly how I would have built it for a precision rifle: PRS stock, geiselle SSA-E trigger, k2+ grip and all ambidextrous. As far as barrels go, I will tell you which ones I won't use this time: Noveske or Wilson. Only because I have both right now and I'd like to try something different. I'm thinking WOA or maybe something you guys might suggest.

You said "Most Accurate", so I'd be thinking Krieger or a Mark Chanlynn Barrel from Rocky Mountain Rifle Works. Mark guarantees 1/2 MOA ten shot groups at 100 yards.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Awesome as. I'll definitely keep them in mind. Thanks.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
PPC of some form. Not sure I know the true answer though but I'd grab a 6 ppc if I had to do it on the spur of the moment.

Not knowing the differences to the 243 lbc that might be smarter but I don't know.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Up to 300, 223 in a 12 twist for 52-53 grainers, over that a 223 7 inch twist for 75-88 grainers

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Some of you probably know Buddy Reich. This is an email that I received last week.

Dear Sirs,
First let me introduce myself. My name is Hugh Reich, friends call me Buddy. I started formal target shooting in 1972. I have shot many disciplines over the years and am currently shooting with the Texas Service Rifle Team. I'm a NRA Distinguished High master, I've shoot with the Texas team for five years with five civilian nation championships, one team national record, and an individual national record, both still standing.
I received my .224 barrel blank around 6/20/18. It was delivered to Justin Utley, Team Caption and Armor. Justin turned and chamber the barrel and mounted it on a new RR upper. Justin chambered using a short throated Wylde.
After I received the new upper I preformed a break in, fire one and clean. It didn't take but a couple shots to realize it wasn't going to take as long as I'm accustom to. There was the typical copper fowling at the muzzle but cleaned up real easy. I felt comfortable to shoot away in much less time than usual. Did I say it cleans up easy, I'll say it again, cleans easier than anything I've shot.
This barrel is very accurate! I shot this barrel in a 3x600 a couple weeks ago, 598/40. I can tell you, if it wasn't an X, it was me. From what I have seen so far the barrel is shooting around .2.
My compliment's to all the folks at Shilen.

Regards,
Buddy Reich

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Krieger, Bartlein or Broughton blank. 6mm of some kind, the 6mmAR, 243LBC, 6mm Grendel, 6mm Predator are all the same body and neck dimensions with just a very little difference in freebore between the 4. .900-.950 or close behind the gas block, .875 gas block and 800-850 muzzle no threads.

Last edited by Terminal223; 07/27/18.

Ones post count on a forum has no correlation to level of knowledge on a particular subject.

eng-tips
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Some of you probably know Buddy Reich. This is an email that I received last week.

Dear Sirs,
First let me introduce myself. My name is Hugh Reich, friends call me Buddy. I started formal target shooting in 1972. I have shot many disciplines over the years and am currently shooting with the Texas Service Rifle Team. I'm a NRA Distinguished High master, I've shoot with the Texas team for five years with five civilian nation championships, one team national record, and an individual national record, both still standing.
I received my .224 barrel blank around 6/20/18. It was delivered to Justin Utley, Team Caption and Armor. Justin turned and chamber the barrel and mounted it on a new RR upper. Justin chambered using a short throated Wylde.
After I received the new upper I preformed a break in, fire one and clean. It didn't take but a couple shots to realize it wasn't going to take as long as I'm accustom to. There was the typical copper fowling at the muzzle but cleaned up real easy. I felt comfortable to shoot away in much less time than usual. Did I say it cleans up easy, I'll say it again, cleans easier than anything I've shot.
This barrel is very accurate! I shot this barrel in a 3x600 a couple weeks ago, 598/40. I can tell you, if it wasn't an X, it was me. From what I have seen so far the barrel is shooting around .2.
My compliment's to all the folks at Shilen.

Regards,
Buddy Reich

Butch,

Who's barrel did you send him?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Per the OP's question above, this thread is not about who's barrel to use, it's about what cartridge to chamber for.

Who's barrel is quite another whole different argument............................just sayin'.

If I wanted to strive for the very best, ultimately accurate rifle, I chamber in in something based on the 6 PPC of some iteration.

But whatever it would be, the very best bullets would have to fit mag length............no single loading for me as I simply don't want to put up with anything that doesn't feed from a magazine.

The 243 LBC sounds very interesting but I've not done one yet & I'm not sure how widely it's chambered for from the major, top shelf barrel manufacturers though.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm with you on that MM. I don't want to single feed, I don't want to have to use proprietary mags either. The less trouble or potential problems, the better. As for guys bringing up barrel manufactures, that's my fault, as I stated I would probably use something other than Noveske and Wilson. I appreciate the suggestions in regards to barrels. Was actually waiting for you to respond as well, as I know you have mentioned the use of different barrels, such as WOA.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually, a really good 223 Wylde is accurate enough for virtually all my needs, out to 600 yards or so.

But as for WOA, they don't make any barrels, they just do the chambering & the configuration. Same for Compass Lake.

We should probably have a "who's barrel thread" as that would likely get really very interesting.

MM

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Per the OP's question above, this thread is not about who's barrel to use, it's about what cartridge to chamber for.

Who's barrel is quite another whole different argument............................just sayin'.

If I wanted to strive for the very best, ultimately accurate rifle, I chamber in in something based on the 6 PPC of some iteration.

But whatever it would be, the very best bullets would have to fit mag length............no single loading for me as I simply don't want to put up with anything that doesn't feed from a magazine.

The 243 LBC sounds very interesting but I've not done one yet & I'm not sure how widely it's chambered for from the major, top shelf barrel manufacturers though.

MM

Hand meet glove.

It doesn't matter what cartridge you pick if the chamber's cut into a crap barrel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of course.............but that's not what it was about.

Lot's of other factors play into an accurate rifle, besides the cartridge selection............but just discussing the cartridge on it's own merits assumes the other factors are as required for an "accurate" rifle.

Maybe we could discuss what an "accurate" rifle is, too while we're at it.

MM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 160user, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,396
Posts18,506,899
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.