Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by FatCity67
I’d love to live a life of blissful ignorance.

It's not bad.

I’ve observed.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
86% of people consider themselves to be above average. grin

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
GWB-
I find myself in agreement with virtually everything you have posted in this discussion.
Your posts seem very well reasoned and the references show you have researched the concept a bit.
Your last post here, on the downsides, is of particular interest as I find myself identifying with many of the issues, even though I know my intelligence is probably low normal.
My greatest fear is age will reduce that to a greater extent. cool
Best...
Joe

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I've been around enough truly intelligent people to know that I'm not a part of their faction.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Many of us here on “the Fire” consider democrats and liberals as below average or even stupid.

My experience has been that a lot of Democrats are average to above average, very decent people with one or two big differences.

#1 A lifetime of working in a union job. A job that has provided a good living, and a good retirement .
The benefits of such employment lend creditability to the union itself, and the unions spend that creditability by pushing the Democrat party line.
Most of the “union democrats” I know sound and believe very much like conservatives, live their lives like conservative republicans.
When they complain about the I’ll of society, they sound just like MAGA Trump supporters.
Then they go vote, and decades of the union telling them that republicans are evil and democrats are good, they vote a straight Democrat ticket.

#2 Trusting the media.
Lots of these otherwise decent people get their news and information from CNN and MSNBC.
The “News” they listen too is slanted decidedly left, and once the news is over next up on their TV is Rachel Maddow or Chris Matthews. One sided left wing BS.
Listen to that for years with no competing voice from the right and you have an otherwise intelligent person who is a political idiot, who cried when Hillary lost.

MOLON LABE
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
My oldest daughter is one of those extremely bright people. She got a masters degree in medical illustration,..worked at it a few years, got bored with it,.....then taught herself programming,...no formal training at all. 3 years laters she's a full stack programmer and has opened a consulting business with 3 other principals.

The fact that she can learn as she does is impressive enough. But it seems that she can do it effortlessly. It's doesn't seem as if she has ever had to push to do anything. She just does it.

My youngest daughter is intelligent also, but not like her older sister. She graduated from Dentistry school a few years ago and now has a practice. But she had to push herself. Her edge is that she's ridiculously competitive and an extremely hard worker.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
YES

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't read the entire thread,
I'm not sure what you describe is necessarily intelligence as much as much as it is following different information sources for long enough that you begin to sort out the BS. I think reaching a certain age where you become somewhat jaded also conditions one to take any of that info with a grain of salt.
I absolutely see your point about a huge proportion of people will swallow some of the most preposterous spin and fake news hook, line, and sinker.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I dont think intelligence has anything to do with it.

That's the dumbest smart thing I've seen on the 'fire. wink

Geno

PS, it's don't, not dont.

PPS I think gdub posted some list about bein' smart. That correcting people in public crap is one of my downfalls. grin

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I dont think intelligence has anything to do with it.

That's the dumbest smart thing I've seen on the 'fire. wink

Geno

PS, it's don't, not dont.

PPS I think gdub posted some list about bein' smart. That correcting people in public crap is one of my downfalls. grin

I see you’re still angling for a Smartest Man on Fire Award...Geno, there’s always next year. I promise. 😁😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by MO2AZ
GWB-
I find myself in agreement with virtually everything you have posted in this discussion.
Your posts seem very well reasoned and the references show you have researched the concept a bit.
Your last post here, on the downsides, is of particular interest as I find myself identifying with many of the issues, even though I know my intelligence is probably low normal.
My greatest fear is age will reduce that to a greater extent. cool
Best...
Joe

A quick google of "must cognitive ability decline with age"

one of. the results, of the search.......... The first way to combat cognitive decline, I'm all about it!

A side note before I post the link.......

One of my buds who is about my age (67) sez his BGFF, is always commenting on his sexual prowess. He sez his response is "how can you make a judgement like that in just 60 seconds".

ya!

GWB

https://theconversation.com/how-to-reduce-the-risk-of-cognitive-decline-with-age-82464

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

"Are you more intelligent than most people?"

I learn extremely quickly, retain knowledge, have the facility to quickly work out most things or learn from the written word, and as a general rule tend to think of myself as quick and nimble of mind.

Then I go do or say something that just plain stuffs that illusion completely.

So I figure that I am just like the rest of you, just another arsehole on the edge of nowhere.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Wifey says I’m a legend in my own mind!!!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Reading the thread on the fake media and watching these trump rallies, and listening to Rush explain things for the "low information voters," as well as all the nonsensical TV shows that pollute the cable and airwaves, it got me to thinking about intelligence levels of the common American people. I mean, how can so many people get duped into falling for political correctness, speech police, Hollywood stars, race baiting poverty pimps, the N-word taboo, "that's racist" . . . and myriad of other follies. How many of you all consider yourselves on a higher intelligence level than the masses you see out there everyday?

Lots of factors. I've read posts of posters on this site who think they're pretty damned smart, yet militate against their own interests.

Bandwagon effect is a common propaganda tool. We saw in used heavily int he '12 elections when Republicans who were really neocons 'cept they didn't know they were neocons -which ain't an excuse for supporting anti-Second Amendment candidates and the GOP- duped low density voters in to believing that Romney had a chance. Any halfwit knew no one was going to replace Obama with a perfect clone of him.

Americans have a perverted desire to be viewed as smart. The easiest people to con are the ones who know that they're too damned smart to con. There is nothing wrong with saying, "I don't know the answer." The wise figure out the answer.

Then we have the ten percent tipping point. It's true: tell a big lie often enough, and people will believe it. It's geometrically more ture for Americans. Americans are the easiest people on Earth to propagandize. All propagandists have to do is dupe 10% of Americans, and the rest of them will follow 'em right off of the precipice of knowledge to the enslavement abyss below.

My guess is that 90% of Americans believe they live in a democracy, our Founding Fathers created 3 equal branches of government, and that separation of church and state is in our constitution.

Americans are a very gullible people, which makes then extremely vulnerable to propaganda.

My guess is that 90% of poster here believe Fox News is conservative. It ain't. It's the Neocon News Network, and Bill O'Reilly was chief deputy neocon to HMFWIC Neocon Charles Krauthammer, who was 100% anti-America and anti-American.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I've been around enough truly intelligent people to know that I'm not a part of their faction.

This. But I do find the company of true intellectuals to be very stimulating.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Are you more intelligent than most people?

I used to be...

Then as I aged, I smartened up. smile

I'd love to be as intelligent now as I thought I was at age 15 or so... grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by 700LH
If intelligence has anything to do with happiness, just remember, retards are always smiling

I've often thought to myself, in a way, intellegence is a curse.

7 surprising downsides of being extremely intelligent
Shana Lebowitz
Aug. 24, 2015, 4:45 PM

You might assume that having a ridiculously high IQ would come with a bunch of privileges.

For example, you wouldn't have to study as hard for tests. You'd read about complicated concepts and instantly understand them. You'd be able to take on challenging but exciting jobs like rocket science.

All that may be true, but there are also significant disadvantages to being highly intelligent. To find out what's so bad about being a near-genius, we checked out the Quora thread, " When does intelligence become a curse? " and picked out the most insightful answers.

Read on and find out what really bugs super-smart people.

1. You often think instead of feel.

Quora user Marcus Geduld says he generally understands his emotions really well and can tell other people about them — but he never feels the relief of expressing them.

"This is a common problem for smart people, especially ones who are highly verbal. They use words as a smoke screen, and it's all the more effective when their words are true. Less articulate people tend to vent through physicality. They yell, punch, kick, run, scream, sob, dance, jump for joy... I explain . And when I'm done explaining, everything I've explained is still stuck inside me, only now it has a label on it."

2. You might not learn the value of hard work.

A number of Quora users mentioned that intelligent people feel like they can get by with less effort than other people. But a high IQ doesn't always lead directly to success, and highly intelligent people may never develop the perseverance required to succeed.

According to Kent Fung , "Intelligence becomes a problem when those who have it discover early in life that they don't need to work as hard to keep up, and thus never develop a good strong work ethic."

When you're highly intelligent, people assume you'll ace tests and job interviews and even solve relationship problems.

3. People frequently expect you to be a top performer.

"You are automatically expected to be the best, no matter what," writes Roshna Nazir. "You have nobody to talk to about your weaknesses and insecurities."

Another unfortunate consequence of these unrealistic expectations? You're panicked about what would happen if you didn't perform up to snuff.

"This makes you so cautious about your failure that you cannot sometimes afford to take risks just fearing that what would happen if you lose," writes Saurabh Mehta.
woman counter thinkingIntelligent people tend to overthink things.Flickr/Giuseppe Milo

4. People may get annoyed that you keep correcting them in casual conversation.

When you know that someone's just said something completely inaccurate, it's hard to stifle the urge to clarify.

But you've got to be extremely sensitive to the fact that other people may be embarrassed and offended by your actions — or risk losing some friends.

Being intelligent is a bummer, says Raxit Karramreddy, "when you correct people each and every time to a point that they stop hanging around with you or stop talking with you."

5. You tend to overthink things.

A common theme in this Quora thread was the pitfalls of spending too much time contemplating and analyzing.

For one thing, you may get maudlin when you try to find the existential significance of every concept and experience. "You realize how moribund everything is and that nothing really means anything. You search for answers and it drives you crazy," writes Akash Ladha.

From a more practical standpoint, you may find it impossible to make a choice. Writes Tirthankar Chakraborty: "An understanding of the possible ramifications of your decisions, especially the tendency to over-analyze those consequences, makes it so that the decision is never taken."

6. People often believe you're a braggart.

Sometimes people assume that when you're genuinely excited to share something you've learned, you're really just flaunting your knowledge.

It's frustrating, says Bill Vanyo, "when people say things like, 'He thinks he's so smart,' or, 'He thinks he knows everything,' when you were only trying to be helpful, and weren't 'showing off.'"

7. You understand how much you don't know.

Being super-intelligent often means appreciating the limits of your own cognition. Try as you might, you'll never be able to learn or understand everything.

Writes Mike Farkas: "Intelligence is a curse when … the more you know, the more you feel the less you know."

https://www.businessinsider.com/downsides-of-being-extremely-intelligent-2015-8

As a coda, My wife, kids and acquaintances get perturbed with me quite often, as I seem never to be able to answer a simple "yes/no" question with a "yes" or a "no".

ya!

GWB

This is a fairly accurate summation of my experiences. On an added note to the OP: Many of the people you are classifying as unintelligent, are probably highly intelligent in the conventional sense (book smarts), but they are lacking in common sense.

ego operor non tutela
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I took the GCT-ARI after high school, I scored in the 99 percentile and had my choice of all enlisted Navy rates. If I was REALLY smart, I probably would have chosen a field other than avionics. All I'm really sure of is that I enjoy the company of brilliant people. I consider hanging out with rocks and trees much better than hanging with the average sports fan.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by hungryhollow
Half the population has a below average IQ.

It is truly disappointing to know that there are more below average than above......

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
[

Brain volume, speed of neural transmission, and working memory capacity are related to IQ.
Between 40% and 80% of the variability in IQ is due to genetics, meaning that overall genetics plays a bigger role than does environment in creating IQ differences among individuals.
Intelligence is improved by education and may be hindered by environmental factors such as poverty.
Emotional intelligence refers to the ability to identify, assess, manage, and control one’s emotions. People who are better able to regulate their behaviors and emotions are also more successful in their personal and social encounters.
[/quote]

I don't think education can expand intellectual capacity. It's either there or it isn't. Education (both empirical and emotional) can help you utilize your capacity to it's fullest, but you are pretty much limited by your hardware, to use a computer analogy. That said, I would rather associate with someone with a 2gig hard drive that is running full capacity than a 4gig that is running at 50 percent.

ego operor non tutela
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 69 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,301
Posts18,487,087
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.