Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Ya think that chain is hard to pull, try pushin' it!

A George Burns fan?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
That’s what pickup trucks are for. I’ve pulled out a veritable triple canopy jungle with my truck. Trees, rhododendrons and everything else has come out like buttah.

A good 4WD pickup will pull more than that 8N.

DF

I have pulled a lot of hedges and trees out with a snatch rope and my old Toyota 4Runner

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use come-a-longs.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I usually put a chain around something I'm trying to pull out of the ground, and hook it to my frontend loader. Works pretty good on most things.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Bristoe, you probably know this, but an 8N doesn't have a true drawbar, below the axel centerline. The three point arms will float up as the front end comes up. Maybe you can find a way to chain the front axel, and straddle the chain? Lots of youtube of 8N pulling gone bad. Don't die!

I want an 8N. It doesn't make sense, but I do. I want a small tractor my wife and daughter can run the hay rake with. I think I need something more modern, with better brakes, in these hills.

Jason
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kellory, I do like your log idea better than the tire rim. When I was pulling Yew bushes the rim tipped over over unless I got the chain or cable exactly centered and it dug into the ground more than a log would.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Windfall
Kellory, I do like your log idea better than the tire rim. When I was pulling Yew bushes the rim tipped over over unless I got the chain or cable exactly centered and it dug into the ground more than a log would.

I don't own a tractor, but use come-a-longs to pull, or my truck. I've had to learn a few tricks. Glad I could help.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Being over rigged for a load is way better than being rated rigged for a load.
I have rigged up chyt from 100 pds to 35 metric tons.
Some Rube Goldberg Norwegian and Danish fabricated chyt that never been flown or landed by a crane on a oil rig.

If your chain is GTG, and it got the job done
Roll with that shyt......

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by bja105
Bristoe, you probably know this, but an 8N doesn't have a true drawbar, below the axel centerline. The three point arms will float up as the front end comes up. Maybe you can find a way to chain the front axel, and straddle the chain? Lots of youtube of 8N pulling gone bad. Don't die!

I want an 8N. It doesn't make sense, but I do. I want a small tractor my wife and daughter can run the hay rake with. I think I need something more modern, with better brakes, in these hills.

I know it can happen, but the front end never offered to come up while I was pulling yesterday. I dug some pretty good ruts in the yard that I'm going to have to fill in later, however. I kept my foot on the clutch in the event that the front end started to climb. I suspect that one reason the 8N has a reputation for floating the front end is because many people replace the original 11.2 rear tires with the wider, larger diameter 12.4's.

As for brakes on an 8N, mine are in good shape. They'll cause the tires to slide if you stomp them.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Got a lot of work to do today to clean up all the mess created yesterday. Then I need to mow another acre or so.

I don't mind doing it but it's *hot*. It doesn't take much to wear my old ass out in these temperatures.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bristoe, there has been lots of good ideas and suggestions made already, so I wont add to them. My Dad was pulling up a small oak tree, about as big around as your thumb, with a jubilee. He did several things wrong, such as pulling uphill and raised the drawbar. When the front end came up, he stabbed at the clutch, but his foot slid off the pedal. Before he could try again the tractor was coming over backward. Some how he managed to crawl between the seat and steering wheel enough that it didn't crush him. Broke several bones and spent a week in the hospital, but he's still kicking. Just be careful.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All these tractor tipping over stories, chains snapping and recoiling makes me think that I am on the right track with my 3 ton chain fall. Slow and steady giving roots time to pull out or break off. Years ago I bought a Simpson gas powered capstan winch and a 300' spool of heavy no stretch rope and if the winch, truck or the 4 wheeler is used to pull something, I'm pretty far away from the danger zone.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by bja105

Yes it does have a true draw bar, if you equip it so. There is a pin under the center of the rear axle to attach it.
[Linked Image]

The draw bar is available from "Yesterday's Tractors" at a reasonable price.

[Linked Image]

https://www.google.com/search?sourc.......1..gws-wiz.......0j0i131.O1CLC5dFDIM

You also need A arms from the third link pin to the back of the lift arms. Around here, those are available at farm supply stores and the local farm Co-op.
https://www.ebay.com/i/141901345063?chn=ps
[Linked Image]

This photo shows the stabilizer system even though it does not have the draw bar attached. Even without the swinging draw bar attached, the A arms prevent the the lift arms from raising and keeps the pull point below axle level. Remember to disengage the hydraulic lift with the little lever just above and in front of the rear axle while the A arms are fitted.

[Linked Image]

I prefer the tubing side stabilizers (available at Tractor Supply or Steiner) to the flat ones in the photo above. The flats will bend while turning with a 3 point implement grounded. The tubing is much more durable.

[Linked Image]

Lots of pics and ideas at this link, but most of the pics go to a redirect so I can not show them here.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=8N+swinging+drawbar&chips=q:8n+ford+tractor+drawbar,online_chips:drawbar+stabilizer&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjj2_WanNbcAhW1IzQIHTvzAaIQ4lYIKCgC&biw=2400&bih=1208&dpr=0.8#imgrc=3Q1y-WVbt5p8NM:

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Found them at Rural King for 25 bucks. Looks like I'm driving to Winchester.

https://www.ruralking.com/stabilizer-adj

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pulling a bush ain't the same as pulling a stump. OTOH, last year when I was up at hunting camp, cousin and his son were pulling some sorta bushes out from in front of the farmhouse, that his missus didn't want in there any more. They'd hacked at the "trunks" with an axe, kid hooked onto one with his Polaris ATV and couldn't budge it. Told him he was probably gonna break the welds on the receiver hitch, which he finally did, after putting the front of the 4x4 up in the air a time or two. It was the "running start" approach that sealed the deal. Chain didn't break, hitch did.

IH 666 diesel across the road in the barn, would've probably snatched the bushes. No idea why they didn't just go get it? Guess kid was sure his ATV was up to the task? Finally got out my 3/8 chain and snatched 'em out with my Chevy Silverado.

My Ford Jubilee has the mounting bracket for a swinging drawbar, just never needed one yet, but that is the preferred method for pulling something heavy or stout - you want the lowest possible pulling point..

When I was a kid spending summers on the farm in the 50s, an uncle baled hay with a Ford 8N and a baler that had a Wisconsin motor on it to run the baler. Years later, the Amish down the road from camp, did the same thing with their "pony motor" powered baler. Only it was on steel wheels and pulled by a team of nags.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I went out and looked under my 8N a little while ago. It's got the mounting bracket for a swinging drawbar,...doesn't look like it's ever had anything attached to it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Drop a bag or similar over the chain in case it lets go, probably won't but it doesn't hurt to be careful.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I wouldn't trust a 1/4 inch chain to pull yer pecker out of a lard pail!

LMAO.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Yer chain might have been too hard.

Ain't no such thing as "too hard".

😝

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,686
Posts18,475,107
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.