Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by fubarguy
1. The original VW Beetle.
2. The Corvair.
3. The Norton Atlas motorcycle.
4. Winchester Model 12'.
5. The Cadillac Eldorado Convertable with the 500 cu. in. engine.
6. Two stroke outboards.
any others?

Used to own a '69 VW squareback and a 72 Eldo convertible. Great cars, but there are many cars (and trucks, love my Tundra) I'd rather own today.

2-stroke outboards rule. I still have two, a 3-1/2 hp Tohatsu and a 15 hp Johnson. Can't beat their power/weight ratio and simple maintenance.

Maintenance?

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by pal
2. The Corvair.
4. Winchester Model 12'.
6. Two stroke outboards.
any others?

Used to own a '69 VW squareback and a 72 Eldo convertible. Great cars, but there are many cars (and trucks, love my Tundra) I'd rather own today.

2-stroke outboards rule. I still have two, a 3-1/2 hp Tohatsu and a 15 hp Johnson. Can't beat their power/weight ratio and simple maintenance.

Maintenance?

wink

Yeah, clean the carb once in awhile and desalt the cooling system.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
they still.make 2 stroke outboards. but the newer 4 atrokes beat the hell.out of them.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
When I was a young man I was totally smitten by British motorcycles. My first was a 71 BSA 650. Fortunately, I wasn't mechanically adept enough to keep it running long enough to kill myself on it. The next was a Norton N-15. I worked hard to learn enough about it to keep it running,....after a fashion. But it was a constant struggle.

The most cantankerous mechanical devices ever made, in my opinion, were those British motorcycles of the 60's and early 70's. It took real dedication to keep those things on the road. My introduction to Japanese motorcycles was a KZ 650 Kawasaki,....totally bullet proof.

BSA Gold Star . Of course with out the Lucas ignition and Magnito.

PS . To much electronics and salt water don’t mix. Evenrude 2 stroke. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
With the huge number of small parts composing a 4 stroke i have a hard time believing it would still be trouble free as has been my 92 200 hp Johnson other than having busted the lower unit on a submerged pipeline in a river.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
jaguartx,

Fwiw, in 2006 I bid on/bought for a grade-school chum (who is a commercial trotliner) a pair of 1965 40HP JOHNSON outboard motors at an auction.
(He needed 2 more outboards for his ever-increasing fishing business.)

About 6 weeks ago, I talked by phone to Bob & he said that both of those OBs are still running FINE, with no more than normal maintenance procedures.
(He runs his trotline boats 365 days a year.)

I'd bet that he runs each of his outboards more in a single year than recreational boaters do in their lifetime. Further, my guess that his 1957-65 OMC Big Twins will be running acceptably long after recreational boaters have had to replace their "modern" outboards. = Big Twins are grossly "over-engineered" & "tougher than a dollar steak".

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The original VW van! I am dying to get a 1971 VW van like I used to have. They are very costly these days.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
None of those planes. And I'm a wee bit familiar with the Skymaster. If they started making Navions again for a reasonable price, they'd sell.

There was a Navion painted up as a Blue Angel. As soon as I saw it I called. Too late. Talk about the one that got away.

Jim

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
2. The Corvair.
4. Winchester Model 12'.
6. Two stroke outboards.
any others?

Hell no.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A decent freaking gas can...

Buy once, cry once.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Wing windows.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Wing windows.

One of the reasons I like this vintage Toyota. Got a lot of refinements like fuel injection and air, but still has wing windows and a manual lever for 4x.

[Linked Image]

LOL
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'll take a 2018 re-do of an 1981 F150 4X4 with 300/6, 4 speed, manual hubs, manual shift lever for the transfer-case and gear to gear for the timing. Drove my old one 310,000 mi and it always brought me home until a red light runner totaled it out on my way to work. Oh, and dual fuel tanks with manual fuel pump and no hydraulic clutch ether.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
2 stroke boat power was always a bit of a plus and minus thing for me. If chasing high top speed across the oceans there was no good substitute for a good 2 stroke. They will keep on ticking long after a 4 stroke will puke. If a fella wants to keep the bugs at bay in the coastal realm here in Floriduh, nothing better than a 2 stroke. Talking sand gnats, 'skeeters and 90 mph..........

[Linked Image]

Old 2 stroke outboards had a lot of zip. Had a 1983 Ventura Regatta 17' bass boat from 1986 till 2015. 150 V6 Black Max on the back. Now you must think old school here. Wanted to get it's potential speed out of it for giggles early on. Bolted on a jack plate and mounted it so the lower unit was running center of bullet case about an inch or so below water line when trimmed out. Ran a 26" Big Eared Chopper prop cupped and had about 2 blades at a time in the water. Highest I could go and still get good water pickup. Could get right on 70mph flickin on the speedo but it was goosey. Always wanted to chine walk when it was trimmed out good. Was turning about 6k top end. It was a boat that required a driver and Lordy me that was a rush. Not like current models feeling like your sitting at the dinner table going 75.

And another off-topic 2 stroke. How about the Kawaski 500 3 cylinder 2-stroker. Sweet Jesus in Heaven!! Those things outran good gossip. Had one for a while but kept blowing solder off the alternator if I missed a gear. Plus I knew pretty well I'd kill myself if I kept it much longer. But what a crotch rocket.

Other stuff, VW bug, no mas. Good memories but none I'd like to remake. Plus I had a '69 Camper Van I couldn't fix fast enough. If I'd had enough coin in that day I'd have put it out in the open and paid somebody to dynamite it. And the Corvair even worse. Death trap. Nothing up front of the driver and passenger but a tin can and air. Pulled a young kid and baby out of the front passenger side of one after a head on. Course nobody in 1966 used seat bellts. Not sure it would have mattered. Mama driving had the windshield side post in her sternum. Kid was the only survivor. I was 16.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Gallon-Sq...1&sr=1-3&keywords=vp+gas+canYeah

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think that, like with the others on the list (save for the Winchester Model 12 ) there's a real rose-coloured glasses comes into play when people talk about the unkillable old 2 strokes of the 50s. I have one of these, a British Seagull, and yes, it is bone simple, was built to last, and you can easily tear it down and fix just about anything on it, with no more than some spanners and a pocketknife. However, it is also noisy and dirty, leaving a slick in its wake, and while you can get at everything and fix it, you also often need to be doing something. Whether it is replacing the cork on the fuel tap or adjusting the throttle linkage there's always some little [bleep] thing. There also seems to be a "knack" to everything, such as starting it for example, or manoeuvring (no neutral or reverse on these). A modern outboard of the same horsepower which I have is basically crank and go, and while I mightn't be as keen to pull it down I just don't need to do so. It is quiet and smooth and I don't burn oil. I don't think it is a matter of the Seagull being old and cranky either - they were like that from new. All good fun and all, but if you actually just want to have a reliable means of getting from A to B they have long since been left behind.

I think the same's true of old cars like VW Beetles. I've driven several and even back in the 80s they were slow and noisy and pretty basic. By today's standards they are glacially slow, loud and spartan, the handling, braking and secondary safety is dark ages stuff, and personally nowadays I wouldn't drive one on a public road on a bet. Old bikes ditto - I can't speak directly of Nortons but Triumph, bevel-drive Ducati and Guzzi made me wary of the sort of bike where you always wonder whether you'll actually be going for a ride today or not.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sunshine Golden Raisin biscuits

Geno

PS I surely do miss my '54 BelAire 2 dr coupe, but not enough I'd spend money on one if they could bring it back. Modernized some (Read that as a "maintenance free " Toyota powerplant) and I'd think on it.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Gallon-Sq...1&sr=1-3&keywords=vp+gas+canYeah

Or one could go for steel:

https://deutscheoptik.com/cart.php?m=search_results&search=Jerry+can

I have a four pack of the 20L (5 gal) ones, a couple each of the 10L (2.5 gal) and (5L 1 gal+) and I'm extremely happy with everything except the rubber flex spout which dried out and cracked in the first year's use. But I don't really need them so no biggie. Buy a four pack of the 5 gal ones with the gaskets and spouts and there's free shipping I think.

One of the 5 liter ones does duty as the 2 cycle mix can for the weed eater. 5 gal ones are for storage/emergency supply. Sta-Bil storage added.

Another option, but USA made I believe and spendy

https://wavianusa.com/black-5-3-gallon-can.html

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wing windows.

yep, with floor vents

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Wing windows.

One of the reasons I like this vintage Toyota. Got a lot of refinements like fuel injection and air, but still has wing windows and a manual lever for 4x.

[Linked Image]

FB--nice truck.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (1minute, 2five7, 2ndwind, 264mag, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 28 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,843
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.