Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JohnL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Got a 22HP Dominion ammunition box that has “Adapted to Savage Model 1899 and B.S.A. Rifles” printed on it. What B.S.A. rifles used the 22 HP? Thanks!

It ain't like it used to be but it'll do.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Well there's a good question. I hope somebody knows. I never heard of one.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No clue on that one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
According to google some of the BSA Martini lever guns were chambered in 22 HP.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
seen those

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Another non-Savage .22HP gun out there is one made by BRNO. It was/is a break-open single shot (known as a "kiplauf" in Germany/Austria/Czech Republic), chambered in 5.6x52R, with a fast twist rifling to handle long pointy .228" bullets. They turn up on GB once every blue moon, usually for no more than an average 99. I look for them when I think about it (which isn't too often) because I always thought such a beast would be the ultimate .22 HiPower.

Other such Germanic rifles turn up now and then- you have to search them out. The cartridge has always had a following among Alpine hunters who chase roebucks, chamois, etc.

Of course then there's the various drillings that turn up, but they are always too rich for my blood.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/15/18.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've seen a Martini-actioned BSA .22 HP listed in a 1920s gun catalog. It looked like it was on the military .303-sized action.

It is just possible that BSA made Lee-Enfield rifles for this ctg. as well, since I know the conversion is possible (fired one converted here to .219 Zipper). BSA made zillions of Lee-Enfields and the action at least would have been cheap for them to use. But I've never seen one or an ad for one. A "Lee-Speed" style sporter in .22 HP would be slick.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, I think too that the BSA single shots were built on actions larger than the Cadets and 12's and 12/15's. The Cadet will hold a .22HP, but I don't feel it's the absolute best choice for one. That said, I have one last Cadet that I've been toying with the idea of converting it to same.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I can see where getting a Lee-Enfield to feed .22HP out of the magazine would be an exercise in hair pulling. Was the one you handled a repeater or a single shot?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Doesn't Sellier and Bellot still sell 22HP ammo? If so, that seems to suggests that there is a demand out there for 22HP ammo that must be bigger than a market driven only by Savage made rifles could create. I've never chased down a 22HP so personally I really don't know squat on the subject.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To All,

The 5.56x52R, as the .22 Savage High-power called overseas was arguably MORE popular abroad than it ever was in CONUS in "stalking rifles", light cape-guns & drillings. = In the post-WW! era it was used "to good effect" on such unlikely beasts as driven TIGERS, using "heavy for caliber bullets" & with fast-twist barrels..

The 5.56x52R was in those days well-regarded for it's DEEP PENETRATION.

Fwiw, long ago when I lived in West Germany, I had a O/U cape-gun in 5.56x52R with a 20 gauge barrel & that I liked for rehbok
& smaller European game.
(I gave it to a friend, who was a forststampsmeister, when I left Germany in 1971.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by S99VG
Doesn't Sellier and Bellot still sell 22HP ammo? If so, that seems to suggests that there is a demand out there for 22HP ammo that must be bigger than a market driven only by Savage made rifles could create. I've never chased down a 22HP so personally I really don't know squat on the subject.

Get thee hence to a nunnery (gunnery?) and get thyself a .22HP, Jeff! It is the panacea for all riflery woes- a gun that automatically draws respect and awe from the hoi polloi, guarantees hunting success every time, and will pave your way through the Pearly Gates when the time comes. Scout's honor. No foolin'. smile

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hmmm - and for years I've been thinking that the Triple-Two would do all of that for me. But the only Savage platform I know of that was chambered for that cartridge was the 340. Could it be that the 99 in 22HP is the Holy Grail of all things riflery?!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What Tex said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.6×52mmR

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Get thee hence to a nunnery (gunnery?) and get thyself a .22HP, Jeff! It is the panacea for all riflery woes- a gun that automatically draws respect and awe from the hoi polloi, guarantees hunting success every time, and will pave your way through the Pearly Gates when the time comes. Scout's honor. No foolin'. smile

...hmm, and I thought the 6.5 Creedmoor was the only cartridge that promised all of that...

wink

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
TomT,

I suspect that that long "pencil-like" 88 grain JSP at 2700FPS did penetrate quite as well as the equally old-school 6.5x54mm Mannlicher-Shoenauer did.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JeffG
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

...hmm, and I thought the 6.5 Creedmoor was the only cartridge that promised all of that...

wink

Pish posh. The Creedmoor is just a .22 HP wannabe.

Jeff (other Jeff), I think we have to count the Savage over-under as another platform for the .222, no? The bloody .222 killed off a lot of good .22 wildcats when it came out. Just goes to show that redneck shooters can be sheeples too.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
gnoahhh,

As loaded by some European ammo companies (with the 88 grain JSP) as the 5.56x52R, I'm NOT at all sure that the 6.5mm Creedmore is a better KILLER on actual game. - For one thing the penetration of that long/slim bullet should be considerably deeper into game, though the paper figures are considerably different.

While she does NOT give a "count", Lady Emily Darnell Williams in her memoirs (published as MY LIFE IN INDIA, 1951) states that she took "a great many fine tigers & panthers", when she was a DW of a COL, Indian Army, before/during WWII, using a 5.56x52 rifle.
(The British in India called leopards, "panthers".)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Well, first off discussions like this are like debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. I doubt anybody here has ever killed a large variety of game animals with both cartridges so as to mount a firm appraisal of same. Fun as it may be, I tend to avoid such debates. Every gun will kill a lot of stuff if employed within its limits.

I often wonder how many of those old tales of prowess with light rifles in exotic lands were embellished a bit. We'll never know one way or the other.

And may I courteously point out that it's 5.6x52R, not 5.56. That silly hundredth of a millimeter makes a difference (and would be a fair metric descriptor of the .219 Zipper). (And it's "Creedmoor" not "Creedmore". I'm astonished at how that simple name is misspelled seemingly everywhere around the internet.)

I never heard of a loading with 88 grain bullets. Who makes them? Not that I would want to try any as our Savages with their slow rates-of-twist wouldn't come close to spinning them sufficiently, plus velocity would be abysmal. .228 Ackley Magnums have been known to employ 90 grain bullets (Sisk made them long ago), but in rifles with astonishingly fast twists. The .22HP (and brother 5.6x52R) earned its reputation in the game fields, such as it was, with the 70 grain semi-pointed bullet. (And those old American made 70 grainers were not great bullets by any modern standard.)

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/15/18.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
gnoahhh,

Pardon my lack of proofreading, as I was a bit hurried this PM. & didn't catch some typos. - Fyi, I've seen the .22 Savage referred to in books as BOTH 5.6x52R & 5.56x52R, - I'm not sure which is technically correct & truthfully don't care to argue over that small fractional amount. The same is true for Creedmoor/Creedmore, as I've seen both spelling in old books.

Absent evidence of dishonesty, I would suggest that the printed word is more likely correct than our guesses/doubts in 2018.
(W.D.M Bell certainly took a lot of rhinos/Cape Buff/elephants with his .275 Rigby/7x57mm Mauser, which is NOT by 21st Century standards a suitable dangerous game rifle.)

The answer is Knoch that made the 88 grain soft-points (and evidently solids as well.) as did BSA & Shikari at one time, according to the literature that is extant.
(YES, an 88 grain bullet in ,228 caliber would not stabilize in a Savage 99 or any other similar rifle. = Lady Williams, the lady tiger hunter, does NOT tell us the rate of twist in her book, if she knew what the rate of twist was or cared, but I would presume that it was 1-8 or less, as the 6.5 M-S is reported as 1-8.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 08/16/18. Reason: clarity

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

170 members (160user, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 1,659 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,102
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.