Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#13080903 08/23/18
Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Just got back from guiding a 10-day sheep hunt. The hunter had just gone through the Best of the West shooting school and had bought one of their rifles. He said he was confidant out to 500 yards but when he checked his zero, he wasn't even on paper. I thought it would be pretty simple to adjust the scope but it didnt work out that way. He didnt know, and I couldnt figure out how to adjust the thing other than to raise it for different yardages. By cranking it up to 450 yards he finally got it on paper although it was still 18 inches low at 100. He didnt have enough ammo to continue so ended up borrowing a rifle. He wasn't what I would call a happy customer. I've been guiding for 30 plus years now and Ive never seen a rifle off so much, nor one so hard to adjust in the field. Is it even possible?? Not sure why he thought he needed to shoot into the next territory as we wouldnt let anyone shoot at unwounded game past about 300 anyway, as the mountain winds are just to fickle. Would like to know if it is possible to adjust these scopes out in the bush in case I run into it again in the future. Thanks

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Once you get it zeroed,unscrew the screw on top of the turret and pull turret off and rotate to zero and set it back down. Do not over tighten screw.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by yukon254
He wasn't what I would call a happy customer.

Well, I gotta ask - did he get a sheep with a loaner rifle?

Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Originally Posted by yukon254
He wasn't what I would call a happy customer.

Well, I gotta ask - did he get a sheep with a loaner rifle?

Nope he passed on a 36 inch ram on day one and never got another chance. We were hunting right next to the new Nahanni National Park and extreme winds kept the sheep on the park side of the range.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Was the rifle supposedly sighted in before he got there? Sounds like the turret got turned a revolution one direction of the other to be off by that much.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
well that answer`s my question I will stay with Nightforce now for sure and my rifles too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
well that answer`s my question I will stay with Nightforce now for sure and my rifles too.

What was your question? I may be assuming something here, but, I assume you could plug any name brand into that story with the same outcome.

Sound to me like It's simply a story of a guy unfamiliar with his equipment.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Scope wasn't the problem. Hunter was. Or person posing as a hunter.

Last edited by sidepass; 08/24/18.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by sidepass
Scope wasn't the problem. Hunter was. Or person posing as a hunter.

No it was defiantly a scope issue. Personally I cant imagine going anywhere let alone on an expensive hunt without a good set of iron sights on my rifle, but thats just me. Most rifle scopes are easy to adjust in the field but the Huskemaw seemed a bit different. Maybe it was damaged on the trip up, but it looked ok.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Either the scope was bad,or neither of you could adjust a scope or shoot.

IC B3

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was the hunter as sidepass stated, he didn't know his own gear.

Dave

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Yukon, serious question. Have you guided anyone in the last 15 years for sheep with iron sights?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've never seen a bolt action rifle that I couldn't get on paper by pulling the bolt. and adjusting the scope to the center of my view through the bore at something 100 yards away. I haven't done it with a Huskemaw. But it should get you within 6" without firing a shot.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'll bet that scope got jacked in transport. I have not seen anything too bad about those scopes. This is the number one reason to always have two rifles. ANY scope can fail at the most critical minute.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by nick54
Yukon, serious question. Have you guided anyone in the last 15 years for sheep with iron sights?

Yes actually I have. Not as their primary sighting system but they were on the rifle. I remember when every rifle came with irons.

Hogwild7 You are correct, and I have done the same thing before, the problem was the Huskemaw doesn't work like a normal scope that I could tell. The turrets move the point of impact for windage and elevation at longer distances, but that only works if it is zeroed first. In his case the gun was supposed to be dead on at 200, but it wasn't even close. Obviously there must be a way to adjust them but I didnt know how.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Gear-queers flock to these scopes like democrats flock to promises of free stuff.

I have seen a handful of them and so far I am not overly impressed. Widgets and Gizmos. Yet another company promising you that for XXX $$$ they will sell you better marksmanship.

But what many people seem to miss is the fact (which is a FACT, not an opinion) that no scope will make you hold a rifle steadier.

If you can hold for drift and elevation you can hold for it. If you can't, spending a lot of money on a fancy looking scope doesn't make it any better or easier. 2 things you need for long shots is #1 Skill and #2 knowledge of your drifts and drops. Scopes can be made to let you see a grid for those things, but they don't hold it for you, and holding X many inches up or over is no harder to do with a plane scope then it is with a scope full of grid-patterns.

When I take hunters out I am always a lot more confident in them if they show up with a Waver K4 or some simple scope (or even irons sights) on a worn rifle then those that shot with with the "latest-greatest gear".

Can rifles shoot well with those scopes on them? Sure.

Can they shoot well with K4s on them? Sure.

Can they shoot well with iron sights? Sure.

No sight shoots!
A rifle shoots, and it cannot be made to shoot better then the man or woman holding it.

American marketing is tried and true and has shown that offering something as "new and improved" sell products, even if it's not improved at all. And even if it's not really new.

In the story the OP told us it sure sounds like a man showed up with a scope on a rifle he had very little of no experience with. Either he didn't know how it works, or it was defective (many or most Chinese scopes are) Huskemaw is a brand that is said to me "made" in Wyoming, but I have heard from a number of people it's really Chinese. Others say it's assembled in Wyoming with 100% Chinese parts.

I don't really know myself.
What I do know if that I have heard complaints and that most folks say it's a gimmick. Is it? That depends on how it's used I suppose.

But if it is not 100% reliable under all conditions and also impervious to hard knocks and rough handling, I would say it's not something I personally would spend money on. And they do cost a lot of money.

I shoot long range for fun these days, but I refuse to shoot over 550 yards (about 500 meters) at game. Just my own convictions, but I believe doing so is only working against us as gun owners and hunters, and gives "ammo" to the anti-hunting crowd. Also, there is never a reason to do it on an unwounded game animal. I speak from experience. I started hunting deer before it was even legal, and got my own licenses from my first legal year. I have over 50 years of hunting behind me now in many states and in 5 countries.

I have killed a pretty good number of game animals at 600-900 yards in my life, but I "grew up" and stopped doing it about 25 years ago. I realized I was not doing anything that I needed to do, and that I could always get within 500 yards of game. In fact, since I made myself that promise, I have not even had an opportunity to shoot past 500 yards so I have not had to 'keep my self-made-promise" in all those years.

I don't condemn those that do it because I did too, but I do try to get them to think about what they are actually trying to do. In every case so far, what they are trying to do is to impress themselves and others as the #1 goal and #2 is trying to kill game and fill a freezer.

Is that bad?
Only if you wound an animal and don't bag it. (which does happen a lot more with long shot then normal ones) some can honestly say they have shot over 600 yards "X number of times" and never wounded an animal and lost it. I am one of them. But I decided to quite while I was ahead.

Learning to shoot long range is a valuable skill in combat. So I am ALL FOR men and women learning how. But 1st shot from a cold bore on a milk jug at an unknown distance pst 600 and ot to lets say 1500 yards is FAR more impressive to me then killing a deer or elk out there. Shooting steel and milk jugs shows me skill and dedication, but also shows me that these people don't treat game as an enemy to be destroyed. It shows me someone who thinks about the big picture.

This doesn't make me right and others wrong. But I do think it's a point worth consideration.

Anyway............. I believe a hunter who showed up in your camp with an old well used rifle with a K4 on it would have been just fine and had a happy successful hunt. When I did all my long shots I always used a Redfield 3X-9X, a Leupold 4X, and a Weaver K4 scope. ALL my kills over 600 yards were done with rifles with those 3 scopes on them and I never had any problem with them, never needed 2 shots, and never lost a deer or antelope. I have never had a shot at an elk in my live over 400 yards because I have never seen an elk father that I didn't easily close the distance to within 400 yards. All the game in my 54 years of hunting that were over 600 yards away have been deer and antelope, with the only excepting being my 1st moose.

Rambling now.......
Time to shut up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by szihn

In the story the OP told us it sure sounds like a man showed up with a scope on a rifle he had very little of no experience with. Either he didn't know how it works, or it was defective (many or most Chinese scopes are) Huskemaw is a brand that is said to me "made" in Wyoming, but I have heard from a number of people it's really Chinese. Others say it's assembled in Wyoming with 100% Chinese parts.

What I do know if that I have heard complaints and that most folks say it's a gimmick. Is it? That depends on how it's used I suppose.

But if it is not 100% reliable under all conditions and also impervious to hard knocks and rough handling, I would say it's not something I personally would spend money on. And they do cost a lot of money.

Rambling now.......
Time to shut up.

They are made by LOW, in Japan, and are high quality optics. But like any tool, they are only as good as the tool behind the tool.

Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by szihn
Gear-queers flock to these scopes like democrats flock to promises of free stuff.

I have seen a handful of them and so far I am not overly impressed. Widgets and Gizmos. Yet another company promising you that for XXX $$$ they will sell you better marksmanship.

But what many people seem to miss is the fact (which is a FACT, not an opinion) that no scope will make you hold a rifle steadier.

If you can hold for drift and elevation you can hold for it. If you can't, spending a lot of money on a fancy looking scope doesn't make it any better or easier. 2 things you need for long shots is #1 Skill and #2 knowledge of your drifts and drops. Scopes can be made to let you see a grid for those things, but they don't hold it for you, and holding X many inches up or over is no harder to do with a plane scope then it is with a scope full of grid-patterns.

When I take hunters out I am always a lot more confident in them if they show up with a Waver K4 or some simple scope (or even irons sights) on a worn rifle then those that shot with with the "latest-greatest gear".

Can rifles shoot well with those scopes on them? Sure.

Can they shoot well with K4s on them? Sure.

Can they shoot well with iron sights? Sure.

No sight shoots!
A rifle shoots, and it cannot be made to shoot better then the man or woman holding it.

American marketing is tried and true and has shown that offering something as "new and improved" sell products, even if it's not improved at all. And even if it's not really new.

I shoot long range for fun these days, but I refuse to shoot over 550 yards (about 500 meters) at game. Just my own convictions, but I believe doing so is only working against us as gun owners and hunters, and gives "ammo" to the anti-hunting crowd. Also, there is never a reason to do it on an unwounded game animal. I speak from experience. I started hunting deer before it was even legal, and got my own licenses from my first legal year. I have over 50 years of hunting behind me now in many states and in 5 countries.

I have killed a pretty good number of game animals at 600-900 yards in my life, but I "grew up" and stopped doing it about 25 years ago. I realized I was not doing anything that I needed to do, and that I could always get within 500 yards of game. In fact, since I made myself that promise, I have not even had an opportunity to shoot past 500 yards so I have not had to 'keep my self-made-promise" in all those years.

I don't condemn those that do it because I did too, but I do try to get them to think about what they are actually trying to do. In every case so far, what they are trying to do is to impress themselves and others as the #1 goal and #2 is trying to kill game and fill a freezer.

Is that bad?
Only if you wound an animal and don't bag it. (which does happen a lot more with long shot then normal ones) some can honestly say they have shot over 600 yards "X number of times" and never wounded an animal and lost it. I am one of them. But I decided to quite while I was ahead.

Learning to shoot long range is a valuable skill in combat. So I am ALL FOR men and women learning how. But 1st shot from a cold bore on a milk jug at an unknown distance pst 600 and ot to lets say 1500 yards is FAR more impressive to me then killing a deer or elk out there. Shooting steel and milk jugs shows me skill and dedication, but also shows me that these people don't treat game as an enemy to be destroyed. It shows me someone who thinks about the big picture.

This doesn't make me right and others wrong. But I do think it's a point worth consideration.

Anyway............. I believe a hunter who showed up in your camp with an old well used rifle with a K4 on it would have been just fine and had a happy successful hunt. When I did all my long shots I always used a Redfield 3X-9X, a Leupold 4X, and a Weaver K4 scope. ALL my kills over 600 yards were done with rifles with those 3 scopes on them and I never had any problem with them, never needed 2 shots, and never lost a deer or antelope. I have never had a shot at an elk in my live over 400 yards because I have never seen an elk father that I didn't easily close the distance to within 400 yards. All the game in my 54 years of hunting that were over 600 yards away have been deer and antelope, with the only excepting being my 1st moose.

Rambling now.......
Time to shut up.

Agree with this completely. I've had a number of clients over the years that have been through long range shooting schools, and they soon find out that taking a longish shot in the field is much different....longish being 300 yards or so. I personally dont know of any guides that are going to let you take a 5-600 yard shot anyway, so all the gizmos are a waste anyway. After seeing his custom rifle I just cant imagine packing that thing all day in sheep country. My personal favourite is a Ruger compact 338 RCM with a 2.5 power leopold, its short, weighs only 7 pounds loaded, and is good to 350 even with the iron sights.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Huskemaws adjust just like any other scope. it doesn’t matter that the turret is marked in yardages, the clicks are still 1/3 Moa each. Also the gun was shooting low so you can initially ignore the zero stop for your problem. Dial it to zero at 200 (those turrets are made for 200yd zeros) loosen the center screw on the turret and lift it free of the gears, put it back down on the 2 mark and reinsert the lock screw.

Still weird that it was that far off unless it totally shït the bed or as mentioned above the turret was left a whole revolution out which would be 20 moa high at 200yds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
szihn says,

I believe doing so is only working against us as gun owners and hunters, and gives "ammo" to the anti-hunting crowd.

That's a silly statement. Anti are illogical and don't need "ammo".

Only if you wound an animal and don't bag it. (which does happen a lot more with long shot then normal ones)

How do you know this? I bet you if you could discover the truth you would find you are way wrong.

But 1st shot from a cold bore on a milk jug at an unknown distance pst 600 and ot to lets say 1500 yards is FAR more impressive to me then killing a deer or elk out there.

I would also bet the folks here really don't care if you are impress with their shooting or not.

Now we're impress!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (10Glocks, 280shooter, 2UP, 10gaugemag, 35, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 12 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,997
Posts18,481,168
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.