Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#13278424 11/13/18
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I guess pebble thinks defeat of prop 1 is a green light. Got a mailer today with a lot of bs and twisted “facts” in it.

Clearly they had this ready to go to get it this close after the vote.

I think they’re wrong.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got one of those today as well.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I agree with you Mike. The anti-everything groups tried their darnndest to make us believe Pebble was the main reason for #1. The prop lost so badly because most of the voters saw through their bs and how it would affect all of Alaska. A large percent of “no” voters killing the initiative are very much against the mine, it’s location, it’s lack of believable safeguards or other reasons related.

Pebble needs do a lot more work before I will be satisfied it is a good thing...
For the record I voted “hell no” on #1

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I got the crap as well.
The market isn’t acting like it is a green light for NAK.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So no on pebble? I guess I better take that sticker off my truck.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pebble is, was, and forever shall be a very bad idea...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can’t think of any more ardent supporters of conservation than hunters. No on 1. No on Pebble.

That’s my take

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I just surprised at how quickly they got that mailer into mailboxes.

And the twisted “facts” in it.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

But it isn't going away. It may take 50-100 years until they get all the polititions, judges, etc in line, but it will get done. $50B?? is high stakes!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I cannot imagine getting the go-ahead to build the largest dam in the world on a 2,500' thick peat mattress.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
I agree with you Mike. The anti-everything groups tried their darnndest to make us believe Pebble was the main reason for #1. The prop lost so badly because most of the voters saw through their bs and how it would affect all of Alaska. A large percent of “no” voters killing the initiative are very much against the mine, it’s location, it’s lack of believable safeguards or other reasons related.

Pebble needs do a lot more work before I will be satisfied it is a good thing...

I do think Pebble was a primary driver behind #1. However, the proponents were clueless to the fact that they could have gotten easy support for it if had not been written so broadly. The “antis” really are out of touch with the people of Alaska. Independent thinkers... that’s many Alaskans, aren’t big on being polarized by ‘the dividers’.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

I do think Pebble was a primary driver behind #1. However, the proponents were clueless to the fact that they could have gotten easy support for it if had not been written so broadly. The “antis” really are out of touch with the people of Alaska. Independent thinkers... that’s many Alaskans, aren’t big on being polarized by ‘the dividers’.

After speaking directly with the actual author I believe they were out to stop all development everywhere. Mining was only a side issue...

He was kicked aside quickly, probably because he was so open about his vision.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle

After speaking directly with the actual author I believe they were out to stop all development everywhere. Mining was only a side issue...

Buried in granola?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Met a 4?

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I cannot imagine getting the go-ahead to build the largest dam in the world on a 2,500' thick peat mattress.

When has a really bad idea ever permanently gotten in the way of $? We'll be seeing attempts for Pebble the rest of our lives, I think. A segway, here.

The Yukon River Dam is still on the books, as is the Missouri River Diversion (Irrigation) Project from the 50's. For those unfamiliar with the latter, basically it was to use water from the Garrison Reservoir (Lake Sacajawea) to irrigate points east- primarily the Red River Valley. Since the RR drains north into Lake Winnipeg, and eventually Hudson Bay, the Canadians thumbs downed it for reasons of ag runoff, and species introduction into their waters. As I understand it, it is still on the books, just back-shelved by the Army Corp of Engineers, et. al.

All that water did prove handy for the fracking process in ND, I was told. MY dad was crane operator for the construction of the first 4 of those big surge tanks at the Garrison dam. My oldest brother rolled a Uke off the dam face once, and my BIL also worked on the dam. We lived about 15 miles downriver - a 25 mile drive to the dam site. A younger brother, now retired, has done extensive historical research all over that area (required for pipelines, fracking operations, new roads, etc....), as well as places as far away as Guam.

This is off the subject even more, but he told me a funny? story a few weeks ago when I was in CO. He had some research to do on Cheyenne Mt and requested the required documents. Included (but not requested!!) in the packet he received one afternoon was the electrical schematics for Cheyenne Mt. He called up with: "I think someone made a mistake...."

He was told "Don't worry about it"

The next morning when he came into his office, the packet of requested materials was still in his desk. Without the electrical schematics.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Clueless as usual... It's neither the largest dam in the world, nor is there 2,500' thick peat there.The [bleep] you come up... Wow.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by las

But it isn't going away. It may take 50-100 years until they get all the polititions, judges, etc in line, but it will get done. $50B?? is high stakes!

Thinking out of the box, one would think, that if there is that much money there abouts, someone could figure out safe ways to do things. But then the profit isn't as much. But isn't that more or less a win win? I think common sense went down the drain a long time ago already.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's probably true, but Pebble was intended to be the big carrot; they simply - no big surprise- underestimate the intelligence and wisdom of their opposition.

Originally Posted by Bambistew
[quote=Sitka deer]I cannot imagine getting the go-ahead to build the largest dam in the world on a 2,500' thick peat mattress.

Clueless as usual... It's neither the largest dam in the world, nor is there 2,500' thick peat there.The [bleep] you come up... Wow.

You read that as literal, literal, gospel truth?!!!! To quote someone:
The [bleep] you come up... Wow.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 11/15/18.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Good thing we don’t have earthquakes

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,819
Posts18,477,719
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.