Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
December 7 1941.

I know just the basics, the Japanese thought battle ships were all important. History shows airplanes, and the carrier ships turned out be of more importance.

Any thoughts on the day "That Lives in Infamy"?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When they attacked they screwed up bad.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They thought the carrier group would be there also. We were lucky they weren’t.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They thought we'd crumble from the attack, but they waked a sleeping giant, who left absolutely no doubt as to what the income would be. Mess with the eagle, and you'll get the talons.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by wabigoon
December 7 1941.

I know just the basics, the Japanese thought battle ships were all important. History shows airplanes, and the carrier ships turned out be of more importance.

I am very certain that was not the thinking of the Japanese. Yamamoto was well aware of all the capabilities of the aircraft carrier. And he very good intelligence that four flattops were anchored in Pearl Harbor. Fortunately for us, his intel was just a few days out of date.

Which brings us to the debate over how much did our Navy know about the coming strike on Pearl? Considering the battleship Admirals swore an airplane was no threat to a battleship. And the carrier Admirals swore the battleship was obsolete, as it could not withstand an attack from the air.

Was it just a coincidence that the carriers sailed safely out into the open sea just before the attack?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Wasn't it Yamamoto who said " I fear we have wakened a sleeping elephant." ?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lol

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thank God it was a time when Men were Men.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My grandfather was there at the time, at the Schofield barracks. (And at Guadalcanal and the Philippines later.)
Its' the one time I always know exactly where my grandfather was 70 odd years ago to the hour. He was a tough character, from country Georgia. He drank a lot, was a violent man when drunk and he didn't like black people much. He hated the Japanese. He kept an army sheath knife on his beside table. He liked me though. He taught me how to throw a hand grenade into a bunker, and how to stop a tank with a bazooka. I was about nine years old at the time. smile

He got a Bronze Star on Guadalcanal but I never knew until after he died, so I never asked him what it was for. He had a scar on his forearm from a bullet entry. He worked in logging after the war and he always wanted to take me fishing. He was not a good man. Once when the Mormons knocked on the door and asked if he was saved, he told them" I've been doing the devils work for so long, I can't leave the poor bastard alone now." But he was my grandfather .

I always think of him on this day.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I fear that we have awakened a sleeping giant, and filled him with a terrible resolve.

Admiral Yamamoto on Pearl Harbor.
When this war is over, the Japanese language will only be spoken in hell.

Admiral "Bull" Halsey on Pearl Harbor.

It seems that both men knew what the future held in store.
As to wether the Navy knew ahead of time, I can't say.
FDR and his Chiefs of Staff figured an attack was coming, but no one ever thought it'd be Hawaii.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They knew it was comming...and they let it happen....fu*k the war monger FDR.......... Kermit Gosnell > why were u borrn to late to walk him to the bus stop....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
December 7 1941.

No, the Japs thought the carriers would be at Pearl. They thought if they could sink the Pacific Fleet Carriers, that the US would have lottle choice but to sue for peace and negotiate to get the oil flowing back to Japan. Unbenownst to them, the carriers had been sent out on missions - The Lexington to Midway to delivery dive bombers, The Saratoga to San Diego and The Enterprise to Wake Island to deliver a Marine attack plane squadron. Enterprise was scheduled to return to Pearl on December 7th and received radio transmissions that Pearl was under attack. She berthed on December 8, and was refueled and rearmed in 7 hours before putting back out to sea to guard the Islands from further attacks from the West.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
December 7 1941.

I am very certain that was not the thinking of the Japanese. Yamamoto was well aware of all the capabilities of the aircraft carrier. And he very good intelligence that four flattops were anchored in Pearl Harbor. Fortunately for us, his intel was just a few days out of date.

Which brings us to the debate over how much did our Navy know about the coming strike on Pearl? Considering the battleship Admirals swore an airplane was no threat to a battleship. And the carrier Admirals swore the battleship was obsolete, as it could not withstand an attack from the air.

Was it just a coincidence that the carriers sailed safely out into the open sea just before the attack?

Yes, it was coincidence - pure luck. Enterprise was at Wake Island, but was scheduled to return on December 7th. The US only had three carriers in the Pacific because Germany was viewed as a bigger threat. Lexington and Saratoga had been sent to Midway and San Diego, respectively.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Saratoga steamed back at 110%+.......record still stands I think.

And by the end of the war we sank every single ship that took part in the attack.

PC be damned........

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good thing Hillary wasn't secretary of state ; the Japs would have been reading her e-mails.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Admiral Yamamoto had been in the US for some time in the '30s, and knew of the industrial capability. He knew that it must be a short war or Japan would lose.

The US Brass thought enough of him and his abilities to pay him a visit while he was on his way to Rabaul. He was not taken lightly.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

98-year-old retired Navy chief warrant officer, Roy “Swede” Boreen, was on the USS Oklahoma On Dec 7 1941. He lost 141 of his shipmates. We interviewed him last week.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I was born in 1950, 9 years after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Growing up, December 7 was a very big day as far a lot of folks were concerned. In the 50's and well into the 60's, there was still a lot of animosity towards the Japs. I knew people who refused to buy anything if it was Japanese made.......something that eventually became almost impossible to do. A high school classmate of my fathers was killed at Pearl Harbor.

I can remember the older folks still talking about where they were, and what they were doing when they got the news of the attack on Pearl Harbor. It was much like we talk about 9-11, only they seemed to place more importance on it than we do 9-11. Of course, WW2 was a much larger war and took many more lives than what we experienced following 9-11.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It must have been a horrible dose of reality to those who woke on that fateful day to hear about what happened at Pearl. To the best of my knowledge, our family didn't have any direct connections to anyone living there at the time. The only thing I remember hearing about was someone who ended up with some bullet holes in their front door on their house. Lest we ever forget.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 222ND, 2500HD, 51 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,288
Posts18,505,199
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.