Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KC

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-XPG-ULTRA-LIGHT-P-TENT/2495719.uts?slotId=0

I've had good luck with Cabelas XPG line of gear. Durable and functional and reasonably priced for what you get. They are not the cheapest but the are a good value. It's on sale for $200 and it weighs 4# 9oz. That's pretty good for a 3-person tent. Remember that a tent advertised as a 3-person tent will hold three sleeping bags and not much else. This tent would be good for two people plus their gear.

Stay away from tents at Walmart. They are junk.

That's a good price on that tent. I looked at the 2-person version in-store a while back and found it to be well made. I had a few cheap tents when I was a young man and couldn't afford much. They were utter crap when actually used. I've never regretted a good quality tent.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Eureka Timberline 4XT is the classic scout’s tent. They last forever and have plenty of room for a man, 2 kids, and gear.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I have an older XPG tent that I love. It’s a light little 2 man job.

I’d check Sierra Trading Post. They used to have some great deals on nice equipment.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Need a tent for son's first scout campout, and I threw out mine after the flood a little over a year ago. Doesn't need to be an ultralight backpacking tent, but I would lean towards something that I wouldn't mind carrying a couple miles. Leaning towards a 3 person tent (have 2 kids and wife has no interest in camping). Not looking to spend a lot, but want one to keep us dry if we were rained on. 3 season tent with decent ventilation that's easy to set up should meet its purpose (camping in the South).

Do stores like Bass Pro, Cabelas, Academy, or Wal-Mart have any decent tents meeting our fairly basic needs? We also have a BSA Scout Shop near us that has camping gear. Wife wants to buy one at a local store (we have all those I listed) so the buying is part of the experience for our son, and I think that would be good. Any recommendations?

My default in the past would have been to go to REI, but their Left Coast leadership has revealed their anti 2nd Amendment opinion, so if I have another good option, I'll go with the other option.

Budget is pretty important when you ask questions like this.

Also, REI isn't hurting your rights any more than Bass Pro or Amazon so I wouldn't close that door too quickly.

You'll want a four man (minimum). Forget a three.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Kelty dome tents are good 3-season tents. Better quality than the Ozark Trails tents at W-M.

I have Kelty Yellowstone 4-person that looks as good as new after over 100 nights of use.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
REI branded tents are some of the best values out there.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got a tent from wally-world several years ago. Caught it on sale, paid $35 or $40. It survived the tornado at Edtoomanyletters a few years ago. Like others have said.....if you gonna sleep 2, get a 4 person tent. Its nylon with a rain fly. Not made for cold weather, but I've put a propane heater in it without any problem.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The finest tent I ever owned was a Moss "Encore". 4-season tent that was cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Unfortunately Moss went under a number of years ago, but his tents can still occasionally be found on eBay. They're not cheap but they'll last a lifetime and provide camping comfort just about anywhere in the world you choose to land.

[Linked Image]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Need a tent for son's first scout campout, and I threw out mine after the flood a little over a year ago. Doesn't need to be an ultralight backpacking tent, but I would lean towards something that I wouldn't mind carrying a couple miles. Leaning towards a 3 person tent (have 2 kids and wife has no interest in camping). Not looking to spend a lot, but want one to keep us dry if we were rained on. 3 season tent with decent ventilation that's easy to set up should meet its purpose (camping in the South).

Do stores like Bass Pro, Cabelas, Academy, or Wal-Mart have any decent tents meeting our fairly basic needs? We also have a BSA Scout Shop near us that has camping gear. Wife wants to buy one at a local store (we have all those I listed) so the buying is part of the experience for our son, and I think that would be good. Any recommendations?

My default in the past would have been to go to REI, but their Left Coast leadership has revealed their anti 2nd Amendment opinion, so if I have another good option, I'll go with the other option.

Check Cabelas - They were hving a good sale on some very good backpacking tents.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Campmor.com is another place to check out. 2 tents might be a good option, one for you and one for them.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
Eureka Timberline 4XT is the classic scout’s tent. They last forever and have plenty of room for a man, 2 kids, and gear.

+1.

The 2 man is good for one guy. the 4man is big enough for a queen air mattress, a baby and a Labrador. Mine is not the XT, but it has been serving me since 1984. It's been through 2 wives and 3 kids and one honeymoon. #3 son was probably conceived in this tent on a Moose watching trip to Northern Ontario. It's easy enough to set up by one guy in total darkness. I added a vestibule after a couple of years so I could cook in mine. For backpacking, it splits nicely into 2 bags.

It is not a warm tent. However, most scouting trips aren't that cold. 4 Season tents are usually too stuffy in the summer and 3-season tents are better for warm weather. I've camped and hunted out of it down into the mid-20's. It keeps the wind off, but as a cold-weather tent, well. . . it keeps the wind off and shed snow. Mine has gone through some humdinger thunderstorms without a drop of water.

Eureka has sent me replacement parts over the years. My autistic #1 son threw himself on the tent one year, thinking it was a trampoline. It bent one pole. I called the 800 number and had a replacement in a week. It requires re-waterproofing about once per decade.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Can't go wrong with the Eureka timberline tents.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My experience, a "3" or a "4" man is usually a "2".

You get 2 people and gear in a 3 or 4 and see what room you got left to move around. Usually ain't much.

I'm 6'4". So, I may be a little biased.But, not by much.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt
My experience, a "3" or a "4" man is usually a "2".

You get 2 people and gear in a 3 or 4 and see what room you got left to move around. Usually ain't much.

I'm 6'4". So, I may be a little biased.But, not by much.

You gotta sleep "cattywampus"!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw

Good tent no doubt. I owned a Diamond Brand similar to the Timberline and it was a fantastic tent. Not lightweight but pretty bomber.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Our Troop has used Eureka Timberline tents for 15 years and this year is the first that I have had to treat any of them for leaking. Our troop policy is NO gear in the tents. The only things allowed in the tents are sleeping bags, pads and the people sleeping in them. This is to give more room and to prevent critters from coming into the tents for a free meal. Packs and Duffle bags are kept outside in larger trash bags. While at Philmont, I have had ground Squirrels (mini bears) chew through a pack to get a granola bars in the side pockets We also have had black bears enter the dining fly looking for food. We don't want any smells of food or sweet smelling toothpaste in the tents. Philmont actually requires the sleeping area to be away from packs and cooking areas to prevent bear encounters. A 3 man tent can get pretty heavy if backpacking but is fine for camping near the car.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by KC

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-XPG-ULTRA-LIGHT-P-TENT/2495719.uts?slotId=0

I've had good luck with Cabelas XPG line of gear. Durable and functional and reasonably priced for what you get. They are not the cheapest but the are a good value. It's on sale for $200 and it weighs 4# 9oz. That's pretty good for a 3-person tent. Remember that a tent advertised as a 3-person tent will hold three sleeping bags and not much else. This tent would be good for two people plus their gear.

Stay away from tents at Walmart. They are junk.

Good tent choice here. I bought my son when he joined scouts in the 5th grade an Alaskan 4 -man tent for his scouting career until he "Eagled" Now my grandsons are using his Cabelas Alaskan 4-man tent for their scouting adventures. A 3 man tent as previously stated is good for 3 young scouts and gear. As they age to bigger scouts the tent becomes a 2-man tent and gear.

Cabelas tents are well thought out and tuff as the country they were designed for. You get what you pay for most of the time.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For 2 people, a 3 man tent is considerably more comfortable than a 2 man. Most are about 7x7. Lay out a 7x7 space on the floor and try to get 3 sleeping bags in it.
I have one of these Eureka Tetragons in 3 man that I've had for 10 years of more. It's been a very good tent and has stood up to some hard use which is surprising considering it's fairly low price. Weight is 7lb. EUREKA TETRAGON

It also comes in a 4 man for about $20 more. It weighs about 2lb more than the 3 man but would be much better for 3 people.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The 2 Kelty tents that were lightly used thrift store finds have been more than
adequate shelters and have stood up to pretty heavy rain well.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Girlfriend & I together have owned 5 Eureka tents. We love them.
Since Bass Pro has killed Cabela’s there’s no telling what you will find there. Perhaps you will get lucky and find a decent Cabela’s branded tent on clearance to make room for more Bass Pro trash. When we visited the Kansas City, KS Cabela’s back in July the only tents they had in the store where Cabela’s and Coleman brands.

Another vote for campmor.com if you cannot find anything local.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 54 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,579
Posts18,473,329
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.