Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have razors dating back to the 1800's including my grandfather's straight razor. I bought another one on amazon a few years ago.
after a lifetime of shaving, i kind of said i don't want to do it any more. my wife trims the beard, and i shave the neck about once a month.
basically i don't care any more.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
2ndwind, regarding Cremo - you may have been using too much. Squeeze out a "worm" only about an inch long. Dab a tiny bit on each cheek and under your chin. When you massage it in, you should be able to see through the cream film easily. That's plenty. If you're used to foams where it has to be a thick layer, you will balk at how little Cremo is needed. Less is better with Cremo.

I like the Harry's handle a lot better than my old Mach 3. It's bulk allows a much more precise grip, and its rubbery texture makes for a very secure hold. I did have to learn to not press too hard - those Harry's blades are REALLY sharp and if I allow my skin to buckle even a little, that's an instant bleeder. Just glide it over your skin; let the blades do the work. They will.

Harry's + Cremo = one really nice shave.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 on Cremo- some of you might remember me starting a thread on it after some other male product thread - deodorant or sump'n, . I commented I had moved to Schick from Gillette (just before this dust up) and felt Shick was a better blade, though Gillette might have had a more maneuverable stick..

Looks like I might have to try Harry's. So- anyone know if Harry's is better than dollar shave club or ? ? ?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Yes I saw these yesterday, do you like them?

"the .30-06 is never a mistake"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

I've switched to an old school safety razor.... looks like it's going to cost maybe 10.00 a year in Feather replacement blades..... Ha ha.

I switched to a safety razor too around the same time the gillette commercial came out, it wasn't in response to the commercial though. I never used gillette to begin with, they were always too expensive.

I started with some Dorco blades because folks said the Feathers were so sharp you'd get a lot of nicks. I bought some feathers the other day and tried them, no nicks at all and they are super sharp. I'm definitely sticking with them. I got a badger hair brush and brought some shaving soap and old school cream back from England on my last trip over there. You can buy them in the Boots drug store for a fraction of what they cost in the U.S. Old school shaving soap and creams are a niche over here so the markup is huge, good shaving soap or cream is a couple of bucks over there.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Cremo here as well. Good tip on the amount to use.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I cremo-ed on my last Gillette yesterday.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
All i ever used was wilkinson sword razore and a badger hair brush. Works great.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just joined Dollar Shave Club.

Guess I'll see how those are.

Got the starter kit for $5.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by VernAK
HARRY"S......been using em for two years and now they are in Wal-Mart.......

Been using Harry's for a couple years, good stuff and they last.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought men had beards. Haven't shaved since I finished my military service 16 months ago. Or got a haircut.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I thought men had beards. Haven't shaved since I finished my military service 16 months ago. Or got a haircut.

I guess I’m not a man. I made it 13 days into my military retirement not shaving. I shave once a week now. I have 4 Gillette blades left, and those will last until July. I have a safety razor and Harry’s at home. I’ve done Dollar Shave lib, and didn’t like them. I guess I’ll go Schick if need to.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

Ha, that sounds like my son in law

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Harrys, or Shave club or Shick - after the shave, rinse well and leave it in a cup of water until the next time. It more than doubles blade life.

In the shower, use dial bar soap on face and leave a good soapy layer on to shave.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boycotting the brand doesn't make much sense, how about the company that owns Gillette?

As of 2015, Procter & Gamble stated it owned the following brands..

Always menstrual hygiene products(this ones gotta be a heart breaker for some of you guys)
Ariel laundry detergent
Bounty paper towels, sold in the United States and Canada
Charmin bathroom tissue and moist towelettes
Crest toothpaste
Dawn dishwashing
Downy fabric softener and dryer sheets
Fairy washing up liquid
Febreze odor eliminator
Gain laundry detergents, liquid fabric softener, dryer sheets and dish washing liquid
Gillette razors, shaving soap, shaving cream, body wash, shampoo, deodorant and anti-perspirant
Head & Shoulders shampoo
Olay personal and beauty products
Oral-B inter-dental products
Pampers & Pampers Kandoo disposable diapers and moist towelettes. The 2014 Financial Report lists Pampers as Procter & Gamble's largest brand.
Pantene haircare products
SK-II beauty products
Tide laundry detergents and products
Vicks cough and cold products

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That's the problem these days big holding companies own lots of different name brand companies. It's hard to figure out who to shoot at when one of them goes rogue. eventually all of them will. I quit using shave cream or soap since boot camp in 69. I just use a bar of Dove soap. I won't buy Gillette any more.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I ain't giving up my Mach III. But Wal-Mart sells generic blades for less than Gillette's and I still get eight to ten weeks of shaves at three/week.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffA
Boycotting the brand doesn't make much sense, how about the company that owns Gillette?

My 'boycotts' aren't that complicated - I just stop using a product because I don't want it around. I suppose if enough folks do the same the company will take note, but that's beyond me.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Each of those products have a brand or product manager. So yes if a boycott impacts a specific product someones azz is on the carpet. Doesnt mean the company will change but just because they are part of a bigger picture doesnt mean someone wont notice or be effected by a boycott. Assuming a boycott is noticably effecting sales. They already are aware of negative comments from social media. But I dont expect much.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On the Cremo- love the stuff but skip the one labeled 'skin clearing' . Wife stuck a tube of that in my Christmas stocking so I been using it. Doesn't feel up to snuff as the line up of originals.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1badf350, 160user, 1941USMC, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,384
Posts18,506,743
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.