Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 458Win
I corresponded with Les for years and can likely dig up his old letters. Like those from Finn Aagaard they tell a lot about the writing industry and editors of the day. He talked a lot about his flying career
And guns as well. After Les died I stopped by to look at the rifles he had left for sale and looked at and probably should have purchased the Sharps/ Borchart
I always admired his experience and opinions

It would be nice to have a clearing house of sorts to accumulate this data for preservation and hopefully, someday, a complete historical work. Dr. Ken seems to have a good supply of pertinent info. It would be a shame for this to pass into oblivion.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 04/03/19.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Quak
I dont know that I agree with you MD. I graduated high school in 2001 (to date myself) and Id love a book on Mr. Bowman. Id venture a guess that avid hunters and shooters in my age bracket read O'Connor, Page, etc more that you might imagine. The only one of the classic writers that may have lost a little shine with the younger guys is Keith.

Quak I'm not so much arguing w/you as giving you a couple of things to consider along this line of 'younger' and 'older' hunters and shooters.

First I have had a M 70 6.5X55 (Swede) since Dec 2011. Of the guys in a large deer lease - then- ; plus my neighbors here since moving......

only ONE guy knew what a 6.5X55 is. That's one out of about 60 guys !!!

Secondly, today I invited a neighbor who is a friend and an avid hunter to come over while I 'chronographed' two rifles.
He came and we had an enjoyable visit and I graphed @ 18-20 rds thru 2 rifles.

He did not KNOW what a chronograph was/is ! ! ! He is 63 y o.
He asked quite a few questions and I showed him the difference in some powders and some cases.
He did NOT know who Ken Oehler was ! ! !

He would NOT know who Mr. L Bowman, Elmer Keith, JOC, JRS, or ANY other well known writers are.

I suspect M D is probably closer to right about the younger generation.

Just food for thot.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 04/04/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
May be a long shot for anything to materialize but it would be nice if the information, photos, etc. could be contributed to the JOC Museum or somehow to be archived for future reference. Or perhaps installments in some publication? Seems like there should be a Geezer Grant or endowment for such things. Where is Prince Pahlavi when you need him?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
It would be nice to have a clearing house of sorts to accumulate this data for preservation and hopefully, someday, a complete historical work. Dr. Ken seems to have a good supply of pertinent info. It would be a shame for this to pass into oblivion.

DF

Originally Posted by Tejano
May be a long shot for anything to materialize but it would be nice if the information, photos, etc. could be contributed to the JOC Museum or somehow to be archived for future reference. Or perhaps installments in some publication? Seems like there should be a Geezer Grant or endowment for such things. Where is Prince Pahlavi when you need him?

I've long wished there was an organization with the funding and library skills to act as a repository for the notes, correspondence, unpublished works, reproduction rights, etc. of the gun writers.

When I think of Harvey Donaldson's heirs throwing the contents of his files out the window of his office above the garage and burning them I cringe!

How many one-printing books have become unobtanium. It might not be worth another publishing run or it might at least be worth scanning with volunteer labor and making a cyber-copy available.

For example, Rifle Accuracy Facts by Vaughn has some very interesting, unique, even ground-breaking experiments by a qualified engineer - but it is not to be found. (Or did someone accede to and then ditch all the rights to publications of Precision Shooting in their bankruptcy?)

We nearly lost the whole Shumway catalog of books until the family ddcided to re-capitalize the venture and get their plates refreshed.

Or how about scanned copies of the Gun Report cataloged and available for purchase?

We need a repository!

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
J
J
Ken Oehler. Your name is very familiar. Granddad kept all his correspondence and I'm sure I have seen copies of yours. All the names you mentioned I grew up with. Along with famous aviation names as they were a very tight group. They were in and out of our homes in Ft. Worth and Cody.
We had someone that had agreed to work on a book but at the time Mother was starting her trip into dementia and she would not let anything out of the house. It was a long hard journey for her and for us.
Now I agree with the gentleman that stated it might be too dated. I put the web page together for Mother mainly for my sister and I and our children and grandchildren when Mother was still healthy . We also have a few recordings of Martie (Grandmother) telling stories to my 2 boys about their flying days. The are something to hear.
Thanks for all the comments. It's nice to know he is remembered.
Jacie

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
May I call you Coop ?

I’m very Glad You are Here.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A Follow Up !

I have very fond memories of past / present Gun Writers, Hunters etc.
I’d like to mention a few and there are SO many I couldn’t list them all but....

JOC, Al Biesen ( last year I had an opportunity to buy a M 70, 270 W stocked by. A. B. but at my age I didn’t feel I’d have enuff time to ENJOY it for the investment. ) ,
E Keith, altho I’m not a great fan, I appreciate his experience;
“SKEETER”
JORDAN
K. Howell
W Page
and “ the beat goes on “ .................

Memories Memories !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
J
You can but I may not answer! You may call me Jacie (Jackie) or Jake. My grandfather Les named me after my Dad so he called me Jackson.

J
J
Here's a photo you might find interesting. Les had 3 camps that he hunted out of up the Ishowooa trail. This photo shows the first leg to the first camp. Last camp was at Bridger Lake with one in between. Picture was taken either by Les or Jack Richards of Cody. Made many trips like this with my Granddad. https://oi231.photobucket.com/albums/ee221/5azsisters/BOWMANS/packtrain.jpg

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jacie,

I 'm sending you a "private message" on all this, indicated my a flashing symbol above the forums. It involves publication possbilities.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

J
J
That is the 3rd or 4th time it's been for sale since the Bowman's owned it. They bought it in 1948 as a 2 room cabin, barn and workshop. And it is no longer the LB-. That brand is owned by my sister and I as we are the only heirs It is a registered brand but they use the name because it is recognized.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jacie,

I 'm sending you a "private message" on all this, indicated my a flashing symbol above the forums. It involves publication possbilities.

DING ! DING ! I like the sound of that. Hope something develops.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
At the risk (very small risk) of giving Mule Deer a big head, I cannot think of anyone better to tackle such a project. In part, my opinion is based on the detailed histories he provides in the chapters about different cartridges in the Gun Gack books. That and the fact that he is a good and polished writer.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
J
J
For those of you that ask for more info on Les Bowman. Granddad traveled in 3 worlds. Gun people, hunters and pilots. here are some pictures that represent his world. A pack string on the way to the Bridger Camp, results of a hunt with lifelong friend and hunter at the LB-, Gen Jimmy Doolittle, at his gun range on the LB-, and with one of his planes in the late 30's or early 40's. Please do not copy or share or use the images without permission as they are all under copyright.
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee221/5azsisters/BOWMANS/LBandJD.jpg
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee221/5azsisters/BOWMANS/packtrain.jpg
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee221/5azsisters/BOWMANS/B2.jpg
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee221/5azsisters/BOWMANS/B3.jpg

Last edited by JaciesCoop; 07/17/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tejano
Yes unless someone steps up to the task then much will be lost. It is unfortunate that only the oldsters appreciate the history and nostalgia. Hard to motivate someone younger when they have no ideal of what has transpired before them.

But, But isn't that what our education system is doing wiping out history to replace it with what they want it to be?? Just saying. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
J
J
this post was not meant to be political. It was for information only. My children and their children know their family history because thankfully their parent's, grandparents and great grandparents got to know them and they are passing it down to their children. Please just enjoy the pictures and do not politicize my grandfather. He hated politicians but was well aware of everything going on around him. But it was NOT a favorite subject. He had his opinions and really didn't want to hear anyone's except family's And you DO NOT want to get me started on politics. So please just enjoy the pictures and your day!

Last edited by JaciesCoop; 07/17/19.
J
J
I knew that name was familiar. I probably proof read some of his letters to you. He didn't ask that often for a proof reader but when he did you knew it was important.

J
J
You may but my nickname is Jacie (jackie) or Jake.

J
J
I talked to my oldest son last night and he said "Mom, don't send that stuff anywhere! I'm still planning on organizing it and I already have two people (videographer and Biographer) lined up to help but I have to get settled in this new career and then get up there to pick up all trunks."

So someday I'm sure it will get done because this is a very determined 55 year old who is very stubborn, and very reliable. And his great Granddad meant a lot to him. Fortunately Les lived long enought to see his two grandsons grow up.and got to teach them some valuable life lessons. I leave it in his and Gods hands.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 117LBS, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,387
Posts18,527,678
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.