Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've been very happy with my suppressed Kimber. ~$150 to cut, thread and mount a threaded collar to as a shoulder leaves you well under $2k. Mine is a 6.5 and is threaded 1/2x28. Comes out to 7lb 1.1oz with my can, very nice to carry in the mountains, wouldn't want to go back to unsuppressed hunting.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by Gtscotty; 09/26/19.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by turkish
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
I would look for something that is already threaded 5/8"-24 to match the suppressor. I am not sure that that exists in a "mountain rifle" configuration. I am not keen on having to use an adapter to get up to the right thread size. Just one more thing to be misaligned and cause a baffle strike. Now, if you are using a QD suppressor that has options for multiple thread sized attachments, that is a different story.

Can you explain the QD comment?

I’m new to the suppressor game. Have had a Tikka chopped and threaded but must use an adapter. With my Silencerco Omega, I’d planned not to use their ASR attachment, since I won’t be moving it among different rifles. Would I be better off using it than a threaded adapter? Or wouldn’t I still need an adapter? Maybe not if I bought the ASR brake with correct threads?

Said another way, if bbl is threaded 1/2-28, is a 1/2-28 ASR brake with an ASR mount much preferred over a 1/2 to 5/8 adapter, with a direct thread mount?

Most QD mounts are set up to center the bore of the suppressor to the bore of the mount (usually a taper). Also, they usually have a way to lock the suppressor to the mount. With a threaded adapter, you have to worry about it being centered to your bore, then worry about it coming loose AND your suppressor coming loose. So, it is just a preference of mine to not use thread adapters.
If the ASR mount comes in 1/2"-28 with a .30 cal bore, I would recommend that for your Omega, even if you are not going to move it to a different rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If the ASR mount comes in 1/2"-28 with a .30 cal bore, I would recommend that for your Omega, even if you are not going to move it to a different rifle.

I definitely wouldn’t recommend the Silencerco ASR QD mount on a mountain rifle. I have a Silencerco Omega and speak from experience.

1. The Omega comes with two interchangeable direct-thread bases, one for 1/2x28 and one for 5/8x24, so no adapter is required. Just unscrew one base from the silencer and swap it for the other.
2. Adding a QD mount also means adding a muzzle device. You’ll be adding an extra 1” of length compared to the DT base and an extra 3 to 4 oz. These seem like small numbers but they’re multiplied exponentially because of WHERE that extra weight and length is going: on the end of a lightweight barrel!

"Pessimism never won any battle." - Dwight Eisenhower
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I kinda like the Savage High Country, think the 6.5 has 22” barrel and is threaded. I am having suppressor envy reading about how great they are it’s time to start the process of owning one!

Wac em and stack em
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by SlimBlundt

I definitely wouldn’t recommend the Silencerco ASR QD mount on a mountain rifle. I have a Silencerco Omega and speak from experience.

1. The Omega comes with two interchangeable direct-thread bases, one for 1/2x28 and one for 5/8x24, so no adapter is required. Just unscrew one base from the silencer and swap it for the other.
2. Adding a QD mount also means adding a muzzle device. You’ll be adding an extra 1” of length compared to the DT base and an extra 3 to 4 oz. These seem like small numbers but they’re multiplied exponentially because of WHERE that extra weight and length is going: on the end of a lightweight barrel!

Many thanks. #2 is why I passed on the ASR initially. I’ll have to check, but I don’t think mine came with a 1/2” direct thread.

What mostly caught my attention was the suggestion that this setup was more apt to fault in a baffle strike.

Last edited by turkish; 09/27/19.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by SlimBlundt

Many thanks. #2 is why I passed on the ASR initially. I’ll have to check, but I don’t think mine came with a 1/2” direct thread.

What mostly caught my attention was the suggestion that this setup was more apt to fault in a baffle strike.

Luckily, with the Omega mount thread becoming somewhat of an industry standard, you have plenty of options if you want to pick up a DT adapter.

Hansohn Bros direct thread adapter

Rex Silentium direct thread adapters

Dead Air direct thread adapter

I prefer to run cans on my suppressed hunting rifles in direct thread configuration. The key is to have a nice wide shoulder on the barrel then they don't come loose. If you don't have enough shoulder they'll tend to work themselves loose.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I sure appreciate it!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Just finished putting together and load development for a friend. a christensen ridgeline 6.5 creed 20” barrel. Nxs 3.5-15x50. Silencerco omega
Super nice rifle. Shots factory ammo great. The 143 eldx precision hunter into a half moa groups at 100. Only problem was velocity in that load was 2525 out of the 20” barrel. ES and SD were not very impressive with the factory ammo. At 300 groups started to open up due to velocity inconsistencies ( magnetospeed)

I went h4350, Hornady brass, 140 Berger elite hybrid, cci primer
Es and Sd were single digits. Gun shoots under half moa all the way to 700( as far as I have taken it). Was able to get velocity to 2750 safely. Makes me wander why I don’t have one also

Don’t think you would be disappointed with it

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If I knew how to post pics I would

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I wasn't trying to imply that if you went direct thread you were more apt to have a baffle strike. What I was stating was that if you added a 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 adapter and then threaded your suppressor onto that, you were more likely to have a problem and that if you were going to do that, you might as well use the ASR mount. If you just put in a 1/2-28 insert into your Omega and thread it directly onto your barrel you should be GTG.

All that being said, have you looked into the safe wall-thickness margins recommended for 30 cal bores? I am not sure I would thread a 30 cal bore to 1/2-28.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I wasn't trying to imply that if you went direct thread you were more apt to have a baffle strike. What I was stating was that if you added a 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 adapter and then threaded your suppressor onto that, you were more likely to have a problem and that if you were going to do that, you might as well use the ASR mount. If you just put in a 1/2-28 insert into your Omega and thread it directly onto your barrel you should be GTG.

All that being said, have you looked into the safe wall-thickness margins recommended for 30 cal bores? I am not sure I would thread a 30 cal bore to 1/2-28.

I follow now. Adapters introduce chance of error. The misunderstanding was totally on my end.

The bbl I’m considering is .284 T3 Lite, one many folks seem to suggest 1/2”. I’m also considering just getting a RAR-P.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Travis13
My suppressor is a Q Trash Panda

Check "Q's" web site for technical data on muzzle thread tenon recommendations. https://www.liveqordie.com/technical-data/

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Shortened and suppressed rifles are popular in New Zealand. Like Europeans, they generally prefer a reflex (over barrel) suppressor and 18in barrel to reduce overall length. Generally they won't go much further forward than 5in, with the back of the suppressor starting just forward of the stock of the rifle (usually a Tikka T3).

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would be happy as hell if I never had to shoot un-supressed for the rest of my life. And I can't wait to slay a deer or two with my 6CFC driving 105 BTHP's next month, currently have a Silencerco Harvester on it until the Dead Air Nomad arrives next summer, quite a bit shorter but fatter and bought specifically for the FC. The OAL currently is pretty close to a 700 Mountain Rifle so I don't get the comments about adding length or weight, it's a non-issue at least to me.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Dave

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Barrett field craft all the way. Accurate, light, mine is 7 lb 4 oz with can and scope installed. Great rifle well built and easy to work up accurate loads.

3-7-77
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Check out the Omega 300......

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by RDW
I would be happy as hell if I never had to shoot un-supressed for the rest of my life. And I can't wait to slay a deer or two with my 6CFC driving 105 BTHP's next month, currently have a Silencerco Harvester on it until the Dead Air Nomad arrives next summer, quite a bit shorter but fatter and bought specifically for the FC. The OAL currently is pretty close to a 700 Mountain Rifle so I don't get the comments about adding length or weight, it's a non-issue at least to me.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Nice! Honestly the biggest draw of a featherweight rifle, for me, is the fact that I can put a decent scope and a can on, and wind up with a very functional 7lb - 7.5lb all up package. I'd trade barrel length for a can on a hunting rifle all day, confident that I didn't give up anything that really mattered.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Really can’t fathom why someone would want to add 12 oz. or so of weight and 7 in. or so of length to a mountain rifle.

Well, I can tell you someone would have to knock me down and tie me up to give me an 18" rifle without a suppressor. BTDT.

What fresh Hell is this?
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I sometimes deer hunt with a friend who won't hunt with anyone who hasn't got a suppressor installed. He says, "I'm not having every deer in the valley put on high alert after one deer down". Fair enough so I use a supressed .308 when I hunt with him.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Off subject but.... Scenar that is a nice speed goat.

Bb

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (17CalFan, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,607 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,698
Posts18,475,238
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.