Print Thread
Hop To
Page 28 of 43 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 42 43
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by JGray
Yep - the bike loses every time which is why a cyclist with half a brain will treat motorists with the upmost respect which unfortunately isn't always the case.

For my own part I ride with the attitude that if I ever get hit it’s ALWAYS my fault , for being in close proximity to motor vehicles while on a friggin’ bicycle.

Oh man, not me. I do everything humanly possible to peacefully coexist on the roadways. I make myself very easy to avoid. I have read books on cycling safety and study it regularly. I ride with my eyes wide open and my head on a swivel. There's not a minute of my time on a public road that I am not processing safety and riding with an eye toward cooperative use. I ride with the attitude that if someone hits me they pulled off a remarkably moronic feat.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by SamOlson
When faags meet...TFF!
I wish I'd had the nerve to say that. Bicycles on roads with speed limits over 15 mph are a pain because there are so many and so many seem like odd folks that hog the road and feel privileged to do so. The occasional tractor or Amish buggy are few and far between. I'm ok with motorcycles, they move along.

I never realized that northwest LA had so many cyclists that they had become a burden.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I ride with the attitude that if someone hits me they pulled off a remarkably moronic feat.

I expect people to be moronic, we all have moronic episodes, some more so than others.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I ride with the attitude that if someone hits me they pulled off a remarkably moronic feat.

I expect people to be moronic, we all have moronic episodes, some more so than others.

You pretty much nailed that.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I never realized that northwest LA had so many cyclists that they had become a burden.
We don't have many. My wife and I travel a good bit. They are all over California and Colorado even on mountain and rural roads. Motorcycles also, but like I said motorcycles move along. Fort Collins Colorado was the worst I ever saw, even at night.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The part that scares me is my own bouts of moron.

Last one was in Montana, in a cold rain towards evening. I was standing while on my bikes on the shoulder of the highway trying to get the wet screen on my iPhone to work. my back to oncoming traffic.

Wasn’t paying attention, a semi riding the fog stripe missed me by way-too-close, woulda killed me in an instant. I’d have never known what hit me.

All day long, for many days in a row, I had been paying attention, that one human lapse coulda killed me.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by flagstaff
Did you ever consider that those cyclists you claim don't pay fuel taxes more than likely also own and drive motor vehicles?

Yes, I have.

But when they are riding on their bike, on that shoulder, or that trail through the woods or along that river, that bike didn't pay for any of what they are riding on.

Have you ever done any research into how roads are funded?

Here's one article.

https://momentummag.com/free-rider-myth/

Along with many more.

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+...404j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Actually, I retired as a transportation manager for a County so I know quite a bit about transportation funding. I did it for a living.

The first article you sent says car don’t pay taxes. That’s true. But it doesn’t mention fuel taxes, or Highway Users Revenue Fund, or HURF. That’s collected by the government for every gallon or gas or diesel collected. Depends on the individual State, but it’s typically around $.40/gallon. That money is then dispersed to fund road construction and maintenance. Which by the way, are not getting a passing grade like most of the infrastructure (dams, bridges, water delivery systems, roads, etc.) rating here in the US.

So no, that bicycle shoulder on the side of the road is not in any way paid directly for that shoulder. True, that bicyclist probably buys gas and diesel too, but so does everyone else. But they don’t get special stuff for their fuel tax. By the bicycle community does.

If bicyclist had to pay say $20/day to use that bike path or shoulder construction and maintenance, I am guessing many wouldn’t. But they are getting it free now. And fricken complain about the condition of what they are getting free and don’t abide by traffic laws like the car next to them has to. The car that has fuel in it that paid the tax. Which that bike didn’t.

That’s messed up.

Last edited by flagstaff; 10/21/19.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Did you ever consider that those cyclists you claim don't pay fuel taxes more than likely also own and drive motor vehicles?

They pay fuel taxes when they drive a gas or diesel powered vehicle. But when they are riding on their bike, on that shoulder, or that trail through the woods or along that river, that bike didn't pay for any of what they are riding on. Something else did.

So with that logic, pedestrians have no right to walk down that shoulder or trail because they aren't burning gas or deisel. Got it - makes perfect sense...

Wish I would have known that when I was a kid delivering newspapers on my bike riding on public roads, or when I had to take my vehicle in for repairs so rode my bike to work as I had no other transportation, or had to walk a couple miles down the shoulder of the road when my vehicle broke down. I sure feel enlightened now...

Don't get me wrong - I've seen cyclists I felt deserved to get their asses run over. I do ride a bike on roads and trails and am very considerate of motorists - fortunately where I live and ride, motorists treat me the same way and I've never experienced the hostility towards cyclists that's expressed here. Carry on - don't give a chit one way or the other...

Pedestrians have a right to walk on a shoulders. Just as a bicyclist does. Or a farm tractor (if he is not burning the highway diesel - there are two kinds of diesel sold here in the US - stuff that is taxed for roads and stuff that isn’t). But when you boil it down, none are directly paying for that shoulder or sidewalk.

My rub is not so much that, it’s that the bicycle community can be so demanding about what they are getting for free. Not one time have I heard that farmer complain about the condition of a road that they aren’t directly paying to use. But the bicycle community is in your face about it. That’s what gets me. It’s that snobbish elitist attitude.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We don't have many. My wife and I travel a good bit. They are all over California and Colorado even on mountain and rural roads. Motorcycles also, but like I said motorcycles move along. Fort Collins Colorado was the worst I ever saw, even at night.

Bicycles are all over the place on the Colorado front range. I encounter them frequently when I am out there. Yeah, I have to let off the gas at times. Hustle around them at times. Shake my head wondering sometimes. That said, I'd still much rather deal with them than dumb, dangerous, distracted and impaired drivers that litter our roadways. In the grand scheme of things cyclists simply aren't a blip on the radar.

When driving the mountain west the cyclists I have encountered were easy to negotiate. When I have bicycled the mountain west I did it on relatively lightly traveled roadways. Motorists would sometimes come up behind me on a blind bend and have to wait a few seconds to safely get around. They were always respectful and were met with a friendly wave. When there was any real estate on the right of the white line, I'd move to the outside of it so motorists wouldn't have to slow at all. If it looked like a motorist would have to slow for more than a few seconds, sometimes I'd pull off the road and stop so they could get around.

Last summer I was pedaling CO 114 between Gunnison and Saguache. The western section of that road is narrow with nothing to the right of the white fog line. At one point I had a semi coming from in front of me and one coming from behind me. They were going to arrive at the same time. I dismounted and got off on the little stretch of land between the road and the ditch. It was unnerving as the semi passed within a few feet at 55 MPH. It was inconvenient for me. Ultimately it was the right thing to do. When semis would come from behind and there was no oncoming traffic, they happily moved well over when they passed. They were greeted with a friendly wave. To me it was an ideal environment of road users treating each other with respect.

At one point on that road I had not been passed in 20 minutes or so. It seemed odd to me. There wasn't much traffic, but a car would come from behind every 3-4 minutes. I had pulled off the road to take a pic. An RV passed me and had a dozen or so vehicles stacked up behind it. There were a number of places the RV could have pulled off and let traffic vent.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Yes, I have.

But when they are riding on their bike, on that shoulder, or that trail through the woods or along that river, that bike didn't pay for any of what they are riding on.

Have you ever done any research into how roads are funded?

Here's one article.

https://momentummag.com/free-rider-myth/

Along with many more.

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+...404j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Actually, I retired as a transportation manager for a County so I know quite a bit about transportation funding. I did it for a living.

The first article you sent says car don’t pay taxes. That’s true. But it doesn’t mention fuel taxes, or Highway Users Revenue Fund, or HURF. That’s collected by the government for every gallon or gas or diesel collected. Depends on the individual State, but it’s typically around $.40/gallon. That money is then dispersed to fund road construction and maintenance. Which by the way, are not getting a passing grade like most of the infrastructure (dams, bridges, water delivery systems, roads, etc.) rating here in the US.

So no, that bicycle shoulder on the side of the road is not in any way paid directly for that shoulder. True, that bicyclist probably buys gas and diesel too, but so does everyone else. But they don’t get special stuff for their fuel tax. By the bicycle community does.

If bicyclist had to pay say $20/day to use that bike path or shoulder construction and maintenance, I am guessing many wouldn’t. But they are getting it free now. And fricken complain about the condition of what they are getting free and don’t abide by traffic laws like the car next to them has to. The car that has fuel in it that paid the tax. Which that bike didn’t.

That’s messed up.

So you do understand that cyclists do pay for roads. In every jurisdiction I have studied, ad valorem taxes pay for municipality and county roads and general tax fund money is used for state and federal roads. Glad we were able to dispense with the myth that cyclists don't pay for roads.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

They pay fuel taxes when they drive a gas or diesel powered vehicle. But when they are riding on their bike, on that shoulder, or that trail through the woods or along that river, that bike didn't pay for any of what they are riding on. Something else did.

So with that logic, pedestrians have no right to walk down that shoulder or trail because they aren't burning gas or deisel. Got it - makes perfect sense...

Wish I would have known that when I was a kid delivering newspapers on my bike riding on public roads, or when I had to take my vehicle in for repairs so rode my bike to work as I had no other transportation, or had to walk a couple miles down the shoulder of the road when my vehicle broke down. I sure feel enlightened now...

Don't get me wrong - I've seen cyclists I felt deserved to get their asses run over. I do ride a bike on roads and trails and am very considerate of motorists - fortunately where I live and ride, motorists treat me the same way and I've never experienced the hostility towards cyclists that's expressed here. Carry on - don't give a chit one way or the other...

Pedestrians have a right to walk on a shoulders. Just as a bicyclist does. Or a farm tractor (if he is not burning the highway diesel - there are two kinds of diesel sold here in the US - stuff that is taxed for roads and stuff that isn’t). But when you boil it down, none are directly paying for that shoulder or sidewalk.

My rub is not so much that, it’s that the bicycle community can be so demanding about what they are getting for free. Not one time have I heard that farmer complain about the condition of a road that they aren’t directly paying to use. But the bicycle community is in your face about it. That’s what gets me. It’s that snobbish elitist attitude.

Bicyclists aren't getting anything for free as long as ad valorem and general tax fund money pays for any of the building or maintenance of roads.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You invited opinions. You got opinions. Bicyclists are not overly appreciated by a lot of folks who have to navigate around them and anticipate what they might do in order to not inadvertently kill them.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You invited opinions. You got opinions. Bicyclists are not overly appreciated by a lot of folks who have to navigate around them and anticipate what they might do in order to not inadvertently kill them.

And one of my goals was to offer facts to counter opinions that are based on falsehoods. Who doesn't like to learn?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Road bicycling was my recovery exercise after I had a hip and knee replacement, so now I can hunt deer in the mountains. I’m all for it. That said, I don’t like the jerky club riders, they are a bunch of weenies!

As far as road taxes go, so what if bicyclist don’t pay direct fees/taxes, almost all of them drive cars and pay taxes for the roads anyway.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Paul Barnard
He is presently regretting his tempestuousness from jail. It would have been no issue for that driver to have finished a safe pass.

He is the typical rager. Most ragers check multiple boxes in the following demographics.

Middle age
White
Male
Out of shape
Lower intellect

What's really interesting is that blacks rarely ever get bent out of shape.

what a pile of horse chit. laughing. You ask the question in the first place, and then show just how agenda driven you really are. Folks know all about their rights, but seem to care little about their responsibilities. Your black folks must be different than the black folks here. Just saying...........

I have made it clear from the onset that my agenda was to provide facts in hopes of educating. What particular part of reality are you struggling with?

laughing. If you don't want answers that upset you, don't ask questions. The only one struggling with reality is you trying to invent one that fits your kooky world view. No [bleep] wonder most folks hate dickhead bicyclists.

Sam......

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
This^^^^

I wonder how many innocent people's lives have been ruined while trying to make a living by accidently hitting some asswhole on a bike who died because he was in the right.

Last edited by jaguartx; 10/21/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Paul Barnard
He is presently regretting his tempestuousness from jail. It would have been no issue for that driver to have finished a safe pass.

He is the typical rager. Most ragers check multiple boxes in the following demographics.

Middle age
White
Male
Out of shape
Lower intellect

What's really interesting is that blacks rarely ever get bent out of shape.

what a pile of horse chit. laughing. You ask the question in the first place, and then show just how agenda driven you really are. Folks know all about their rights, but seem to care little about their responsibilities. Your black folks must be different than the black folks here. Just saying...........

I have made it clear from the onset that my agenda was to provide facts in hopes of educating. What particular part of reality are you struggling with?

laughing. If you don't want answers that upset you, don't ask questions. The only one struggling with reality is you trying to invent one that fits your kooky world view. No [bleep] wonder most folks hate dickhead bicyclists.

Don't let my correction of errors lead you to believe I am upset. I invited input for the express purpose of clearing up bad information. Every post is an opportunity to for me to present facts.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
And that's the attitude many dead bikers had.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
And that's the attitude many dead bikers had.

How many dead bicyclists have you interviewed? Have you not yet learned that you need to bring your A game with me?

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 28 of 43 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 42 43

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (12344mag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,046
Posts18,500,900
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.