Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yes, you are correct I did state that. What was not made clear was that my intent was not to say that the "lie" was meant to relate to the first part of my post. From your initial response, my interpretation was that you thought I was stating the writer in the Savage story lied when in fact he was just wrong at least in my read of what was posted. In the second part of the post I was just referring to shall we say in a somewhat tongue in cheek manner that most of the rag writers whore themselves out to a certain degree because of advertiser pressures. I also should know better than to post during Friday happy hour as well.

NRA Life Member
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I just recently discovered Wolfe's publications and have subscribed to all three for 2 years now. I have canceled Successful Hunter though--just didn't do anything for me.

I have seen more than a few editing issues within articles, but I let them pass. EVERY magazine or book I have ever read has some spelling errors in them--not a big deal. I don't like one sentence paragraphs though.

The Bullet book anthology had too many errors. The editor should have done a much better job of seeing and correcting misspellings in the text, chapter headings, and missing page numbers. I hope JB's upcoming rifle book is better edited than the Bullet Book appears to have been.

I'm not going to "throw the baby out with the bath water" though. Wolfe's mags are still the best reading on the market from my perspective. Are there any errors in my post?

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Well, if it's a mistake (I say "if" because I haven't personally verified what Hammer1 claims to be a paraphrased statement from an alleged Savage spokesman - who might have been wrong, too...) then so what? Who is harmed unless somebody selects a Savage rifle in .22-250 SPECIFICALLY because he thinks it has a given twist rate, but actually gets one that some posters here think is a better twist rate to begin with?

Okay, that sounds peevish. But, hey, it's one thing to point out a really dangerous error (such as recommending 27 grains of Bullseye versus 2.7 grains) and quite another to jump on one that's essentially meaningless. Maybe we should save our sharp knives for the trophy catch, huh?

As the bumper sticker says, "Shinola Happens".

Apparently Savage cares enough -- they're offering some models with a selection of different twist rates available for the buyer to choose what they want. http://www.savagearms.com/2007_pressrelease.htm

New this year, the LRPV is available with different rates of rifling twist, allowing the shooter to select the best rate of twist for their bullet weight.

* New Savage Target AccuTrigger, easily adjustable from approximately 6 oz. to 2.5 lbs
* Right bolt, left port with a smaller ejection port, giving more rigidity to the receiver for enhanced accuracy
* H-S Precision black synthetic varmint stock with alloy bedding system
* Stainless 26" X-tra heavy barrel, 1" in diameter
* Models Chambered in 223 Rem now available with 7" twist, as well as 9"
* Models chambered in 22-250 Rem now available with 9" twist as well as 12"
* MSRP $1116

Dan

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Varmint hunter doesn't come out enough (4 times a year?).

I like handloader above everything I've read.

On the break in - I just wonder if the cleaning between shots makes sure that your not laying down powder residue between the layers of copper your imbedding in the freshly cut steel? Just a thought - I don't think the cleaning really impacts removing copper, maybe a bit of residue but not truely embedded stuff.

Spot

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I was glad to see an article by Charles Petty in the Handloader.

Great rag, very low fluff content. Editing is a lot easier to improve upon than content...

Defend the Constitution
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Mule Deer did come out and say he thought barrel break in was not necessary which I have thought for years, and another article touts the Speer 405 gr 45 bullet in a 45-70 for elk, which I have used for years.

The Speer 405, huh? I wonder how many of them actually make that weight? That would require a 1.25% plus or minus variance which would be an error on Speer's part. Oh my! (It is fun to nit-pick, isn't it?)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Dude, water is wet, the sky is blue, women tell lies, who gives a [bleep].......

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't make the weights.Usually don't weigh them either but they are advertised and marked on the box as Speer 405. Go into a shop and ask for 400 gr and you won't find a box marked that. Ever wonder where they get those 67 gr .223 , and other bullet weights.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does Wolfe use a national bank or a local one.The reason I ask is if we send a cheque from Canada will their bank process it.Here in Canada, we have big effiecent banks with international reach,it's no big deal to write cheques in US funds,they just charge us the buy/sell rate.I never got a subscrition to Wooden Boat because their bank wasn't set up for more than a mom and pop store.

Last edited by downwindtracker2; 05/12/07. Reason: missing words

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You mean like this:

Speer Bullets 45 Caliber (458 Diameter) 400 Grain Flat Nose Box of 50

Designed for short-range large game hunting, these bullets provide deep, straight line penetration with little expansion.

Product #: 448366
Manufacturer #: 2479
Our Price: $23.49

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=448366

Seriously though, I'm just teasing. Who cares if it says 400 or 405 grains. I have greater issues with detail errors in books. Magazines I regard as "reader beware" kinds of things, even when they aren't the "Fun with Dick and Jane" versions of gun rags like Guns and Ammo, etc. I would never take details important to me in buying something by basing it on a single magazine article - or even a book.

I do like Handloader and Rifle magazines more than the rest. (You know a magazine isn't half bad when even the ads are interesting, informative, and useful!)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
'Predator Xtreme' magazine is also worth a look. It's an interesting mix of accurate rifles, handloading and hunting.

Too old to suffer fools
RSY Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What, nobody noticed the cover lead-in for JB's article on the ".6.5x55 Swedish Mauser"? Now, that, my friends, is a small bore. A bit overbore in my opinion, though. laugh

Who cares about such little errors? It's still a good value for a magazine. After all, without such screw-ups how would those that need it get their regular superiority fix???

scott

Hammer1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I am glad to see that Americans are a tolerant bunch.

Somehow a lot of customers don't seem to fall into that category. Sure wish we could get them to spend some time with ya'll.

Really would reduce most people's stress, anxiety, and workload while keeping the checks coming.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RSY
What, nobody noticed the cover lead-in for JB's article on the ".6.5x55 Swedish Mauser"? Now, that, my friends, is a small bore. A bit overbore in my opinion, though.

I actually enjoyed that piece, but if memory serves it was penned by Brian Pierce. laugh

RSY Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by biglmbass
I actually enjoyed that piece, but if memory serves it was penned by Brian Pierce. laugh

You're right it wasn't JB, but John Havilland. I should've typed "JH". blush

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I caught that too, just a few minutes ago. BP did the .22-250 piece in the same issue. Was wondering if anyone would catch my goof.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have been a reader of the Wolfe publications since 1972,subscribing for most of that time. They have been through different editors and formats through the years and quality has varied. But, over the years they have, by far, been the most interesting and informative of the various shooting publications. Some specialized magazines may cover specific areas of the shooting sports better, but for general information about ammunition, handloading and especially hunting rifles; Wolfe is the best. The people in Prescott are friendly and helpful; I'll bet that a quick phone call would solve the subscription problem mentioned above.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My Handloader #247 arrived, and I got the chance to check the cover.

I think the cover has wild decimal points -- the one that moved up to appear in the NEW LOADS! list as the .6.5X55 must have drifted up from down below where it is missing from the ALL-AMERICAN 25s!

I emailed Wolfe for a job in the Department of Consistency, but they were not interested. wink

I edit and publish a newsletter for a non-profit group, and it makes my teeth hurt when mistakes make it into the distribution version. I imagine there is a lot of dental pain over in Prescott.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't read the 375 Ruger article new American Rifleman! There are a couple of number errors too.

A. "The 23" long barrel tapers from 2.93" at the receiver to 1.69" at the muzzle."
B. "There is a white .92" diameter bead sight..."

I think they're a bit off cuz that is one big barrel and sight!

RH

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim & Hammer:
Both points well taken........

HOWEVER, the older I get, the more I realize that

Excellence does not demand perfection.

As always, your mileage may very.

Bob

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (44mc, 007FJ, 7887mm08, 35, 10Glocks, 11 invisible), 1,356 guests, and 857 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,869
Posts18,478,696
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.