-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn dude thats a heck of an experience!

And exactly why I dont bait out of a ground blind! I have heard too many stories like that one over the years to trust being on the ground in a mess like that.

Had a buddy that always hunted blacks over bait out of a ground blind , right up until a boar griz courting a sow showed up in the bait and he was caught right in the middle wasn't pretty and although he didn't end up pullin the trigger I am pretty sure he buried his fruit of the Loooms.

Be thankful you guys are all right, chit do happen from time to time when you least expect it and it can go either way.

The old saying of " I dont think we'd be as high on the food chain as we are without guns" sure applies to your experience!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bearhuntr,

That's an incredible story. Sounds like you really showed restraint... I imagine that the first time she charged I'd have given her a lead tranquilizer rather than a rap on the head with a gun barrel.

This has seriously modified my opinion of bait hunting!

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by las
I guess they can jump pretty good, though. smile

Las,

"Only brown bears can jump!" Also, "brown bears got game!"
grin

bhtr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by gregp108
I read the letter in todays paper written by Walt Ward........ Then when I shoot it I am going to name it my Walter bear.

There you go again making sense...and in a calm,intelligent manner, void of any emotion. I hate it when you do that...grins

As to your "dedication" of bear...TO FUNNY! I bout' spilled my Avion and choked up my tofu...

bhtr

*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"I bout' spilled my Avion and choked up my tofu..."

Dude...that's "Evian" grin...(spell it backwards, and you'll see why I know you don't really drink it smile.)

And I wanna see you eat some tofu sick...

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
glad you're still in the land of the living! ahigh adventure story like that could finance alot more ammo and abigger sturdier treestand. us outsiders just love them stories!!!

The hardest part is finding a big buck. The easiest part is getting "em" out. - Larry Benoit
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Dennis,

I don't get it...? Must be too naive or thick-skinned or? wink

Guilty as charged. blushgrin My dear wifey of 30some years would suggest that I had a senior moment. I would add "I'm not as old as you are" but would rather stare down another grizz then take the sound, mental whippin' that would follow. Librarians are NOT "unarmed" little old ladies...if you know what I mean. shocked wink

As to tofu...actually tried it once. It was more painful than a severed finger (I've experienced both now) and, since I was a guest and being polite...I ate it. sick I remember feeling alot like Morgan Freeman's character in the movie "Power of One," when he was forced to eat something he didn't want to (I hastily add I've no experience here!)

best,
bhtr grin

*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
grin

I'm a big fan of tofu myself...right up there with soymilk sick and ricecakes frown.

Later...have to go to "work" smile.

DN

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
bearhuntr,
I just barely got around to reading your account with the bears. Man, that would likely be just a little too much excitement for me. I once had to push a black bear out of my tree with the barrel of my rifle. That was enough for, a brown would rattle me to the core. All I can say is, "You da' MAN!" I'm still in a state of WOW over your story.

Is it Friday yet?
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Troy,

I assure you that I'm the "lucky" man...that's all. If she had made the slightest change in her M.O. I'd been rollin' on the ground in a heap o' trouble. In retrospect, she had to keep a hold of the tree with her paws and couldn't use them to pull with. If she had pulled on the stand...?

I'm not desirous of having second helpings anytime soon; in truth at all! I did learn a couple new things (in retrospect) and will commit them to memory. Almost 50 years in Alaska and being around hundreds of bears (both seen and more unseen)won't ready one for an encounter of this kind.

In a way (since I escaped totally unscathed) this "post episode" has a kind of manly, outdoor romantic thing going. I've endured my 5 minutes of fame already. I will do everything in my power to avoid a sequel. I will however, "jump back on the horse," so to speak. That, you can bank on.......grins.

best,
Mark

PS. Hope you are able to keep up with lettin' the kid out hunt ya! I really enjoy those pics you post (hint) wink

*** my Grandaughters

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Woah! That'll stick in your head a while.

Bump for a heck of a story (missed it the first time around).

Thanks for the link, bearhuntr. Stay safe.

Ella

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (22250rem, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 1,642 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,997
Posts18,520,346
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.