-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
850 miles of paved bicycle and pedestrian only paths throughout the metro, fishable waters in the South Platte and Clear Creek, Chatfield and Cherry Creek Reservoirs, Waterton Canyon (often see bighorn sheep, mule deer, black bears, mountain lion, and elk)...all right there.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antlers
850 miles of paved bicycle and pedestrian only paths throughout the metro, fishable waters in the South Platte and Clear Creek, Chatfield and Cherry Creek Reservoirs, Waterton Canyon (often see bighorn sheep, mule deer, black bears, mountain lion, and elk)...all right there.

Later in the season you can throw your decoy's out on the same South Platte.

And if you don't mind stocked fish, stop off at one of the ponds on the way home and limit out while waiting for the traffic to subside.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Been in CO 17 years now. A LOT has changed in that time. You will have a hard time with that income in this place, but people do it on a lot less than that here. Just depends on what quality of life you want, and how long of a commute you can deal with. You might find an affordable place on the east, for north, or far south side, but you'll be an hour or more away from the start of the mountains...on a good day. I'm in the housing industry and the growth has been good for my business, but I truly would not be able to afford to live here if we were moving here today. Mountain traffic is beyond horrible now. I70 used to be bad Friday's and Sundays, not it's bad almost all the time. We have completely given up skiing or day trips to the mountains on the weekends. It's F...ing insane how backed up traffic can get. If I was moving today, I'd be looking at MT, ID, WY, or maybe northern NM.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
First thing I would say is DON"T.

I live outside or Colorado Springs. It is everything Bighorn posted. Denver is X10. I don't know of any major city that isn't though.

BTW Castle Rock is fast approaching it

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/18/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will second bighorn and saddlesore. I agree with them.

IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
I will second bighorn and saddlesore. I agree with them.

You hate everything.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The OP needs to give us much more information. Where are you coming from? That way we can compare it to something you're familiar with. Do you have to live in the city itself? Where would be your work location. I live in a far western suburb of Detroit but I very seldom have to go into the city so what it is doesn't affect me.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by watch4bear
They have a beautiful brown cloud you can actually suck on.

Not any more.

Once again you are about 20 years out of date.

Wrong, just drive down from Wyoming. That brown cloud is still very visible.

We'll be seeing you up here, everyone else form Colorado comes up for the weekends.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Been in denver and aurora 71 years. The rush hour lasts all day. The weekend traffic takes all the fun out of going anywhere. What work? There is a tech center south, and a rival one in planning east in Aurora. Housing may crash with this recession. The money you may bring from your old home sale may make it possible. That is part of the Calif problem, selling ubflated houses and moving in

You do have access to lots of national forest given time. Most of the eastern plains is private land. It aint the city the wife and I grew up in.

All the way from Colorado springs to fort Collins is called the front strange for a reason

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I left CO 14 years ago and still miss many things about it.

Yes, Denver is big andbgetting bigger. The front range is a bastion of liberals. Homeless was bad and gettigng worse. Housing is expensive.

Its a city.

Lots of great stuff too though. Beautiful state with great weather.

Id look west and see how bad he commute is. 15-20 years ago it wasnt too bad from idaho springs or even georgetown. Under an hour usually. May be much worse now.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm a Denver native. The biggest problem with accessing the mountains is the road network. Due to the terrain, weather, and building costs, you are limited in your choices of road access to the high country. As a result, traffic is a mess. If you plan on quality hunting or fishing, it can be found within a couple of hours of Denver...depending on traffic. In that sense, the only advantage Denver has over areas in the midwest is that you only haul your stuff a couple of hours less than you do now.

Denver is different than other area due to the sheer number of people who move here and are determined to turn it into the hellhole they escaped from . Due to the nightmare traffic, there are entire sections of the city I never consider going to for shopping, or any other reason for that matter. Many people who moved here bought old houses with a one car garage and brought two or more cars with them. The suburbs are better, but commuting is difficult.

Mass transit is a joke. A tax on everything you buy goes to support a system extremely limited in meeting the needs of anyone who isn't interested in commuting downtown.

Parts of Denver are indeed nice, and you will pay a hefty premium for the location. Many parts are overrun with illegals, homeless, and druggies. It truly looks third world. Denver public schools are a joke. Look to suburbs, charter, or private schools.

The best part of Denver is its weather. No hurricanes, few tornadoes, no major earthquakes. We do get massive snow storms which are usually followed by warm weather to melt it. Hail, lightning and afternoon thunderstorms are common. Humidity is low. In fact, Denver used to be home for people with respiratory troubles due to the dry climate.

Denver is my hometown, but I'm looking elsewhere...soon.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by wytex

Not any more.

We'll be seeing you up here, everyone else form Colorado comes up for the weekends.

"Brown Cloud" used to be the normal state down here. Now we get very few of them, maybe a handful a year..

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Say you lhad to live in Denver, CO on a barely six figure income. What do you think about your prospects for quality of life, raising kids? Get much hunting or fishing in on weekends?

A lifelong friend of mine who used to be a solid conservative, moved to Denver a few years ago, and now we can't even talk to him. He denies it all day but he's a cool aid mainlining liberal and I'm pretty sure he has a vagina now.

With that said, I am surrounded by progressive idiots where I am. The difference is that they all hate me so I take that as a compliment.

I'm sure you can find some good people there but they're becoming a minority.

Wear it proudly, OutlawPatriot. I do. smile

And never pass on an opportunity to pisz in their Fruit Loops. They would damn sure do it to you.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was stationed in Denver for a while and visited many times over the years. Man, it ain’t the same place anymore.

It has taken an exponential nose dive since about 1997

Have a retired friend that went back to Colorado after they made weed legal. He made a fortune (over 2 million) from automobile insurance claims by getting rear-ended on a constant basis by texting weedheads. He now lives in South Dakota.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 04/18/20.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by wytex

Not any more.

"Brown Cloud" used to be the normal state down here. Now we get very few of them, maybe a handful a year..

Any weekday,you need to drive south about 1/2 a way to Castle Rock. Turn around as you will see that brown cloud over the city as you approach

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
There is some good fishing in some of the lakes in the metro area.Last time I checked you have to buy a permit to fish them besides a state fishing license. Anybody know if this it is still true. I am thinking of Quincy

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Went to school in Trinidad in the mid - late '70's, lotsa mexicans and lotsa dopers and those were the days before pot was legalized. In southern Colorado access to the NRA Whitington Center in Raton, NM provides lotsa opportunities for the sportsman.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I attended gunsmithing school in Denver in late 79's. Most of us at school agreed there was nothing wrong with Denver then that a small tactial nuke would not cure.

Would need one 10X that now. "Denver" runs out north of Ft Collins now..... don't know how far soulth it goes- probably Co. Spr.

My son lives in Denver - can't afford to buy a house - prices are sky high.

My brother lived in Golden (fine view of the Coors brewerey from the bedroom window I used when visiting). When they retired, they resold their house- a nice one- for enough to pay off the morgage, and buy property at Twin Lakes (a couple hours west), with a big wad left over. and Twin Lakes ain't cheap, but worth it. To good for Libs like he and his wife, actually. Friggin elk come through his yard nearly every night.

My feelings about Denver? 3,000 miles distance is about right, tho I could live in Twin Lakes area, Libs and all. Those Aspenholes to the west are another story.... smile

Last edited by las; 04/18/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

U
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like most larger cities except for weekend commute and weather.

I live in semirural GA. Work would be in Lakewood.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like most larger cities except for weekend commute and weather.

I live in semirural GA. Work would be in Lakewood.

Then you’ll definitely hate it if you live in semi rural GA.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,571 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,691
Posts18,534,514
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.