Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#15071701 07/22/20
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This year will be my son’s first backpack hunt or extended backpack trip. He’s also never been out west farther than NW Nebraska. I’ve used my phone for years for pics but wondering if I should pack a smallish digital camera for some quality keepsake pics.

Does anyone here carry one? If you do which have u used and felt it was worth carrying?

Thanks,

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have an older canon Powershot and a newer Panasonic Lumix.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._zs80k_lumix_dc_zs80_digital_camera.html

Like the Lumix a lot for the price point and features

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I too have/had an older Powershot, but my wife seems to have adopted it to take photos in her studio. So, I've been researching and I'm about to order a Canon PowerShot SX620 HS.

She'll probably commendere that one, but hey, at least I'll get my old one back.

https://www.buydig.com/shop/product...SjgIEBc6U8y9h6BdAEEkTJE-iixoCVGcQAvD_BwE

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 07/22/20.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes, you want one. A phone is ok if you're posting your shots on social media but if you want quality photos to print, you want a real camera with a zoom. As far as I know, almost all camera zooms are digital. For a good shot, you want an extendable lens and as much optical zoom as possible. Enlargements are much better.
I also have a Panasonic Lumix but I might have to replace it before cold weather. The lens and autofocus are sticking. When it gets cold, I can't focus it. Almost all of today's point and shoot cameras will take very good photos. They aren't as good as a DSLR, of course, but the quality is very good.

My Lumix has a 30x lens, 20x is optical and the other 10x digital. You can't hold it steady without a tripod but it has another use. If you see an elk on the far ridge, WAY out there, zoom to the max and take a photo. Open it on the viewer and enlarge it again. You'd be amazed at how much you can bring it in. The quality will be lousy but you can get a good enough look at him to know what he is. I took this elk that way at at least 1/2 mile away. I had the camera sitting on a rock to hold it steady. It's hugely enlarged.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
It's a little unclear from your post who's trip this is. And where are you going?

But Yes, it's definitely worth it to bring a dedicated camera for your first trip.

Circles
IC B2

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Definitely take one. Last year I bought from Cameraland a Sony RX100VI, which has the equivalent of a 200mm lens of a 35mm camera. I have used it a lot. It’s small enough to take it everywhere, and I do. Images are excellent.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Circles
It's a little unclear from your post who's trip this is. And where are you going?

But Yes, it's definitely worth it to bring a dedicated camera for your first trip.

We are going on a weeklong backpack hunt in Idaho. Just he and I. I’m looking for a camera now, it’s worse than shopping for a rifle scope!

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GF1
Definitely take one. Last year I bought from Cameraland a Sony RX100VI, which has the equivalent of a 200mm lens of a 35mm camera. I have used it a lot. It’s small enough to take it everywhere, and I do. Images are excellent.

Any of the Sony RX100’s are about the finest backpacking cameras out there. Sensor size and lens quality is the name of the game, and the RX’s all use Zeiss lenses w/1.8 f on the low end, and a 1” sensor. Photo quality is far beyond most P&S cameras. I use the 1st Gen, but if I were replacing it I’d go with the RX100 MKIII since I really have no need for more than a 70mm lens.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by GF1

Any of the Sony RX100’s are about the finest backpacking cameras out there. Sensor size and lens quality is the name of the game, and the RX’s all use Zeiss lenses w/1.8 f on the low end, and a 1” sensor. Photo quality is far beyond most P&S cameras. I use the 1st Gen, but if I were replacing it I’d go with the RX100 MKIII since I really have no need for more than a 70mm lens.

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carry a 20 megapixel Canon PowerShot, and my phone too if I am not on a really extended trip. For easy day hunts from the pickup, I usually carry a Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR, in addition to my phone.

I try not to be without a decent camera.

IC B3

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I cut weight in a lot of areas, but I still carry my Nikon with 200mm lens. Pictures will be with you long after your memory fails.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12savage, 60 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,317
Posts18,505,717
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.