Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by JoeBob
So once again, why are we bagging on a nurse stationed with the Army Public Health Command who went out and completed the requirements to earn an Expert Field Medical Badge?

Because they are making a big deal about what guys do all the time, because it's a woman, and unusual. That's the point. Guys do it all the time. Of course it's hard. Guys are better suited to it.

tens of thousands of men have done it as part of their job in the military for decades and not one word even though they do it much faster with no drama.

The crew on the Lewis and clark expedition carried 70 to 120 lbs and covered over 20 miles a day for months and months in all weather and terrain with very little food.

Last edited by ribka; 12/15/20.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BountyHunter
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Originally Posted by UncleAlps
Not impressed. The Co-ed military is limited duty.

But she did great for a girl!

Well, at the risk of being the contrarian here, she isn’t in the infantry and she met the standard to get the badge.

70 lbs on your back at that pace is no joke.

70 lbs is fake news. They have a very light prescribed packing list that comes in under 35 lbs.

I laughed too when I read 70 lbs. The dumb schit people believe

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
That gal is carrying serious weight for a serious distance. 70 Pounds for 12 miles takes serious conditioning for a young MAN in his prime.
I remember PT and have trained young men and women over the years. I still have to get into and stay in shape at my age, or I'll end up like friends who are carrying way more than 70#s from the couch to the doctors office and back.
I'd be willing to guess that few on the Camp Fire can do this today. I carried that load last week for a mile and was huffing it.........said to self, "Man, I need to get into shape!"

At 25, I could do 110 lbs for 10 miles on hills.
At 45, I could do 55lbs for about the same.

Then I started getting Baker's Cysts in my calves and had to chuck backpacking.

Now? I schlepped a 50 lb pack out to the back of the property over the summer ( about a half mile) and was flat-out amazed I could still stand when I got there.

Yup. You're in better shape than I.
That's why I said to myself "Man, I need to get in shape.". Cardio goes first.
Right now, I'm trying to walk wherever I can to build up to 50mile long weekends next spring.

Walking distance is the best, IMO. Steps, too. Skip elevators whenever you can.

A good friend told me his exercise routine.
It included running up several flights of steps at work.
Push ups.
Sprinting 100 yards.
Vitamin/mineral/ coQ10 Supplements

He was the oldest employee of a very major pharma company. He was very bright and healthy working there in his 80s. Once in a while he'd challenge himself by asking young tall guys in their 20s to race him from one side of the parking lot to the other. My friend has very short legs, so he would normally lose the race, but it gave him challenges and goals to his routine.
He only was laid off due to age discrimination.

I know thats probably hard to believe. Not because of his age and vitality, but because I actually have friends in the pharmaceutical industry. Lol.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[/quote]
Yup. You're in better shape than I.
That's why I said to myself "Man, I need to get in shape.". Cardio goes first.
Right now, I'm trying to walk wherever I can to build up to 50mile long weekends next spring.[/quote]

I thought you taught sword fighting and martial arts?
[/quote]
I had to close the school. Got outta shape faster than I got into it. Atrophy seems to happen faster as I get older.
Now I'm conditioning so that hopefully I can open the new school by spring if finances work out.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
We did the 12 mile for the EIB. Our CO taunted us by saying if it took over 2:30 you were a pussy. I finished in 2:27 and it wasn't that hard.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I just hope our technology is so good she never has to actually fight in a war in person. She could get somebody killed.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
She does deserve a participation award.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mark : 29 seconds tells you all you need to know.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having been in the 'Corps and not the Army, I must ask: does a person get this special infantry or combat "badge" for hiking the 12 miles with the 70 lb pack in 3 hours, and all on that road?? I know others here are saying it is a 35 lb pack, but the video says 70 so I am going with that to cover all bases.

I'm not saying that we had to go further or faster because we didn't, but I am saying that's actually kind of pathetically slow if you're "pushing" yourself. Even the dreaded crucible in Marine recruit training was more difficult than this, and it was wayyyyy overrated.

I do have long legs though, which I am sure makes a difference but I saw plenty of shorter legged guys have no issues with this kind of march either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I could do it in 6 hours. Is that ok for an old timer?

God Bless America
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Russians let their soldiers beat the crap out of each other. LOL

Big "Ol steriod looking phuggers there.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by benchman
So once again, why are we bagging on a nurse stationed with the Army Public Health Command who went out and completed the requirements to earn an Expert Field Medical Badge?

Because they are making a big deal about what guys do all the time, because it's a woman, and unusual. That's the point. Guys do it all the time. Of course it's hard. Guys are better suited to it.

tens of thousands of men have done it as part of their job in the military for decades and not one word even though they do it much faster with no drama.

The crew on the Lewis and clark expedition carried 70 to 120 lbs and covered over 20 miles a day for months and months in all weather and terrain with very little food.

The Voyageurs were some serious haulers too.

O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by hatari
The Russians let their soldiers beat the crap out of each other. LOL

Big "Ol steriod looking phuggers there.

The image has nothing to do with the video. They are not even ni the video. The video shows the Russian military engaging in hand to hand combat training.

O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by UncleAlps
I could do it in 6 hours. Is that ok for an old timer?

Excellent in my opinion.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This is old, but think who was president during this time. Read the comments of the video.

Honestly, any country who thinks that is an appropriate level of ability for an infantry unit is a fool. A captain no less.

I had never seen this before.

I have to say my sides hurt from laughing.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Think of the bright side. When she separates or retires, she'll just have to show this video to the VA to substantiate her blown out knees and bad back are service related injuries. I tested for the EFMB in the late 1980s and I don't think the load for the Forced Road March was anywhere near 70 lbs. It was just clothing items and MOPP gear as I recall but I suppose it might have changed since.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
They're playing games on our dime and giving China fuel to fire up their troops.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I remember right this was for expert field medic badge EFMB. That video was a joke then still a joke now.. It tells many things, the main one that cpt didn’t do any training far ruck marching, prior to this..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Having been in the 'Corps and not the Army, I must ask: does a person get this special infantry or combat "badge" for hiking the 12 miles with the 70 lb pack in 3 hours, and all on that road?? I know others here are saying it is a 35 lb pack, but the video says 70 so I am going with that to cover all bases.

I'm not saying that we had to go further or faster because we didn't, but I am saying that's actually kind of pathetically slow if you're "pushing" yourself. Even the dreaded crucible in Marine recruit training was more difficult than this, and it was wayyyyy overrated.

I do have long legs though, which I am sure makes a difference but I saw plenty of shorter legged guys have no issues with this kind of march either.

The EIB involves a lot more than a 12 mile road march. Every infantrymen is wanting one thing and that’s to go “true blue”. The EFMB is the same as well. Both events end with the 12 mile road march. Places like Drum, Carson, Bragg with full divisions will hold their EIB’s and all the BCT (brigade combat teams) Infantrymen will/highly encouraged to do it.. they will start out with couple thousand Infantrymen of not more, by the time ruck march happens the numbers are down to less than a couple hundred. Renegade can tell you more about it..

As my infantry buddies always say. Why is the sky blue?? Because God loves the Infantry!

Last edited by 79S; 12/16/20.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by BulletBud
The primary mission of an infantry soldier is to “close with and destroy the enemy.” If you follow NRA Highpower Rifle shooting, SSG Amanda Elsenboss totally dominated both Interservice and National Long Range shooting in 2019. Close behind her was SSG Erin McNeal also on the AMU Team. There were no National Matches in 2020 due to COVID, but I wouldn’t want to face these two ladies on the battlefield.

NRA Highpower does not require physical exertion. Combat does. It's sort of like our military making accomodations for women. Fewer chin-ups in basic, don't have to throw the hand grenade as far, etc.

BTW women were not very competitive in Highpower until the 5.56mm "mouse gun" replaced the 7.62mm M14. Why? Lower recoil. And the stock dimensions on the AR15/M16 service rifle are too small for many men.

The military has long recognized the shortcomings of the 5.56mm cartridge, which is why they are now going with a .277" cartridge.

Oh boy another we need paw paw M14 back in service. Pass me the 5.56 and M16/m4

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

173 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 15 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 863 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,607
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.