Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Thinking about a G19 MOS and RDS to stimulate the economy. Never used anything but standard sights.

Yes or no?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I shoot a Glock 34 MOS with a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro in competition. I like it, and it gives you a little more precision than irons. I also shoot some matches with iron sights. For carry, I use iron sights.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use a dept. issue Trijicon ROR on my duty carry G34. Once you get used to acquiring the dot out the holster, scores on the range go up on all. It's the future and I think you'll love it. Alittle harder to teach an old dog new tricks but once you buy in ( especially with aging eyes ) you'll love 'em. Do it !!!

Razorhog

P.S. Mine stays on 24/7. Battery changed yearly

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bowmanh
I shoot a Glock 34 MOS with a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro in competition. I like it, and it gives you a little more precision than irons. I also shoot some matches with iron sights. For carry, I use iron sights.

Do you use the delta or dot version?
Most reviews I've read prefer the dot, but the delta makes more sense to me.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve thought about putting a RMR type red dot on my G20 but since I don’t compete and my handgun training has become instinctual I’m hesitant to do anything that changes that. I’m consistent and accurate with it now so a slight increase in accuracy doesn’t outweigh the potential confusion in the stress of the moment from years of muscle memory.

If I do eventually switch to an RMR style I would have to have a lot of rounds down range and many hours of practice before I’d feel comfortable enough to use it for my EDC. For hunting, target shooting, competition, etc I wouldn’t hesitate to use a red dot. The accuracy I am getting using either factory sights (G19) or hi-vis aftermarket sights (G20) is excellent and I don’t know how much a red dot would improve it, at least at the distances I practice which are 5, 10 and 25 yards.

If you do go with a red dot I’ll be interested in your opinion about it. Good luck!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’ve thought about putting a RMR type red dot on my G20 but since I don’t compete and my handgun training has become instinctual I’m hesitant to do anything that changes that. I’m consistent and accurate with it now so a slight increase in accuracy doesn’t outweigh the potential confusion in the stress of the moment from years of muscle memory.

If I do eventually switch to an RMR style I would have to have a lot of rounds down range and many hours of practice before I’d feel comfortable enough to use it for my EDC. For hunting, target shooting, competition, etc I wouldn’t hesitate to use a red dot. The accuracy I am getting using either factory sights (G19) or hi-vis aftermarket sights (G20) is excellent and I don’t know how much a red dot would improve it, at least at the distances I practice which are 5, 10 and 25 yards.

If you do go with a red dot I’ll be interested in your opinion about it. Good luck!

That's exactly where I'm at. I like the idea, but not sure I should be changing things up. Would be fun to mess around with, but should probably be conserving ammo.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've got a G-17 MOS but I don't care for the MOS. The mounting plate puts the sight too high. If you want a red dot on a glock get an after market slide milled for the sight you want. Or send your slide off and get it done.

Circles
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

I use the 2.5 MOA dot. It works well for me and is plenty bright, even on sunny days. I'd say the choice is personal preference.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was looking at some little reflex/red dot sights today. Under $200.

Anybody use the Athlon, Sig Zero, or other cheap red dot?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Thinking about a G19 MOS and RDS to stimulate the economy. Never used anything but standard sights.

Yes or no?

Many good comments have been offered up. All seem good and valuable in my view.

I tried the red dot on a pistol and really tried to like it but I never could quickly get the red dot up to the proper sight picture. Took too much time. I could not overcome the contraption factor. Might be great if one becomes quick with it.

Then there was the problem of using the red dot in the dark......was more difficult for me to get any target clarity and then even if I did, I could not see the target very well. Did better all in all squinting with just a big old orange glow dot.

The night presents some issues. Difficult to see the sights and bring to bear on a target out there in the dark. If real dark, I can’t see the target without a flashlight. Even then, if then with the light in front of the pistol, the iron sights don’t stand out very much. So, my night pistol has a laser and a light on it. Flashlight can be used if needed and the laser dot enables quicker targeting. I find it to be especially handy at longer than normal pistol ranges.

For general carry, I just use iron sights and a big dot of some kind.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Sad
Campfire Regular
B
Red dot for hunting is a no brainer. It’s amazing how accurate the red dot is and fast accusation on target. I don’t recommend for EDC because you are trusting your life on a battery that “should” be working when needed.
I had a Sig Romeo on my EDC and I shot great with it until the battery quit working only after about 300 hrs. It did not last the 10k that it was supposed to. I use a Vortex Venom on my G40. I’m confident out to 50 yards while hunting. I can’t see that far with iron sights.

Hunting yes!
EDC no.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

I have a g20 with a vortex venom. It’s not a RMR but use a sight adapter.
I like it so far. I waited to mill the slide just to see if I liked it and because I’m cheap.

Fun gun for sure.....

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by bamagun01
Red dot for hunting is a no brainer. It’s amazing how accurate the red dot is and fast accusation on target. I don’t recommend for EDC because you are trusting your life on a battery that “should” be working when needed.
I had a Sig Romeo on my EDC and I shot great with it until the battery quit working only after about 300 hrs. It did not last the 10k that it was supposed to. I use a Vortex Venom on my G40. I’m confident out to 50 yards while hunting. I can’t see that far with iron sights.

Hunting yes!
EDC no.

My g20 is minute of Copenhagen can at 25 yards. Rested I must admit.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I just got my son a G40 MOS for Christmas. He wanted a handgun to use during alternative season and didnt care for my 629. Topped off with a Holosun 507c x2, its amazingly fast and accurate out to 75yds. It's our first 10mm, luckily Sportsmans Guide had Fed 180gr 10mm for .47/rnd

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Yes or no?

Yes.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have one on a 41 mag Blackhawk, it is a game changer for hunting. 100 yards is easy with it, my eyes aren't good enough for open sights with a pistol anymore.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

I use the 2.5 MOA dot. It works well for me and is plenty bright, even on sunny days. I'd say the choice is personal preference.

As some of us get older, we are changing to RD as the ability to focus changes and slows. I don't compete, so I don't shoot nearly as much as you. Could you fill me in on why you prefer irons for carry over a reliable high end RD like your Leupold?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Trijicon RMR on a MP CORE 5 in 9mm. The irons co witness with the 3.25 moa dot. I got it just to check out the RD on a pistol thing, its fun at the range but I have a ways to go before using one for carry. The one big thing is I can see the dot and target without any correction. Not so with irons anymore.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m waiting on a holosun hs507c x2. I’ve been gunning irons for decades so this will be a new experience

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Mac84
I’m waiting on a holosun hs507c x2. I’ve been gunning irons for decades so this will be a new experience

You'll like it once the paranoia of Auto Off passes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

403 members (12344mag, 117LBS, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugeman, 45 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,319
Posts18,505,800
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.