Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I'll say it. Side by sides are cool if you don't really care about hitting something.

Pat Powell is a righteous dude, and hits more clays with a bent barrel shotgun than I can keep up with!

Ask me how I know!

ya!
GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The first shotgun I ever used, over 40 years ago, was a SxS, a 20 ga. Killed my first ducks with it, as well as a lot of rabbits.

I still have a soft spot for a SxS. A particular favourite is my Krieghoff, which not only has SxS 16 ga barrels but a 7x57R beneath, and yet weighs only 6 lb bare. That little gun handles and swings so nicely, even with its short barrels - only 22" or so. An ounce of shot, or maybe 1 1/8, seems to do anything I want to do with it, and I've taken various birds, rabbits, foxes, pigs, goats and other critters with it.

I also like the Brno ZP 49. These are a real sidelock, mine a dual trigger with ejectors and a straight-hand stock. Quite a light gun too, and again best suited to 1 - 1 1/8 oz loads.

I've shot a good number of others. A couple I remember fondly were my mate's Boss, which he inherited, a Dickson which another mate had, and (perhaps at the other end of the scale as far as fancy guns go) a Savage 20 ga which I borrowed one afternoon, with which I killed a running hare with each and every shot in the box of cartridges.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by frogman43
I only have one side by side gun.....a Beretta 471 Silverhawk 20 Ga. with 28" tubes and Mobil chokes. English stock and splinter forend.......every man should own one fine shotgun.

I have used it for Huns. Pheasant, Grouse and Rabbits and Tree Rats.....lightweight and a real joy to carry.

My other "Double" is an O/U 12 ga. Beretta 686 White Onyx......and it just hammers birds!

I had the same shotgun w/pistol-grip/beavertail. Also a 20/28". I lusted after one for ~20yrs before the $$ and the shotgun crossed paths at the same time. Alas, that 471 had too much drop for me and the only way I could hit with it was to add a 3/4" tall leather riser, covering up some exquisite lumber in the process. I shot a 13wk season of skeet, practice rounds, some sporting clays +/- 500 rounds trying to get things figured out. Last Dec it made someone else a fine Christmas present.

Yes, they do tend to have really nice wood on them, given their price range. Frankly I don't use mine nearly enough. Haven't fired it in probably 6 years.....overdue I reckon. I just couldn't get used to the looks of the pistol grip/Beavertail forend enough to want one....hence why I chose the English straight grip and splinter.....may make a difference. They sure are purty little things!

When I retire....I am hoping to spend the rest of my lifetime chasing enough birds to wear that thing out.....LOL

Frog---OUT

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by geedubya
I'll say it. Side by sides are cool if you don't really care about hitting something.

Pat Powell is a righteous dude, and hits more clays with a bent barrel shotgun than I can keep up with!

Ask me how I know!

ya!
GWB

To be sure, there's words of wisdom in what Pat says. If you don't believe it.....attend any major Trap Championship and count how many SxS guns you see in use by the Top shooters......bet you don't need more than one hand. Hell.....bet you don't need one finger! LOL

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ya don't see many sports cars hauling wheat either.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Ask me how I know!

ya!
GWB

To be sure, there's words of wisdom in what Pat says. If you don't believe it.....attend any major Trap Championship and count how many SxS guns you see in use by the Top shooters......bet you don't need more than one hand. Hell.....bet you don't need one finger! LOL

You don't see too many trap guns in the upland fields either, for some reason.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've hunted with sxs for over 50 years. Never had any trouble killing things with them, except grouse, which I still have a fair amount of trouble with, regardless of the shotgun. For pheasants these days, I prefer a 12 gauge Charles Moore hammer gun built probably in the 1880s or early 1890s. Prettiest gun I own and a hammer of Thor on roosters.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wouldn't shoot anything else given the choice.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by cra1948

Ask me how I know!

ya!
GWB

You don't see too many trap guns in the upland fields either, for some reason.

I understand your point.......however, for purely accurate shooting at a flying target, most experts tend to prefer a stack barrel. Now I agree, they don't have to lug those 30" plus guns across hill and dale......so people make concessions for the choices they decide upon.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Truth is, it's a love affair. I've owned and shot, in the field o/u guns but just cold not fall in love with them. And, I don't have to. Further, in rough shooting, I am not convinced of the superiority of an o/u, but if I could bag 20% more birds with one, it wouldn't matter. The whole sport is a love affair.

To many of my hunting buds the sport is a game where one keeps track of scores; not me. I am there for far more personal reasons than keeping score. Shooting a sxs is a connection to my father and grandfather. So is the entire sport. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B3

G
gkt5450 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
That’ll preach Old Trapper!

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

50 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 257_X_50, 6MMWASP, 9 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 823 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,081
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.