Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Who has one? Being on city water it’s almost a must, but I refuse to get one, despite Slavyanka’s complaints about the spots on the shower stall.

I just don’t like dumping, on average 10-15 lbs of salt a month into our water system. I know the city I used to live in drew water from a river and the place where I got bottled water showed ridiculous amounts of salt in the city water - which contributes to high blood pressure, not to mention what it does to other things.

I realize that a lot of that is also run-off from road salt, but I still don’t like contributing to it with a water softener. Doing a simple calculation if everyone in my city had a water softener unit in their house is mind-boggling.

Honestly, I’m surprised this isn’t something the environmentalists have cottoned onto.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We do, our well is 463 ft deep, hard, and iron. I forget the make of softener, it's not bad on salt, I use some Iron out wit each sack of salt.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We use a waterboss, set as low as possible to work. 2 months on a bag of salt

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Depending on how hard your water is, you'll get more salt in your diet from cheerios or a can of soup.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are also salt-free softeners that work by precipitating the calcium and magnesium into small particles that are not noticeable and pass through plumbing without scaling.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Chlorides in municipal wastewater systems have been getting attention for about the last decade.

It is being looked at,

In your case, for her benefit, You could look into a salt free "conditioner".

They don't use salt, Salt free is a newer concept,

Not sure if it will take off or not.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Depending on how hard your water is, you'll get more salt in your diet from cheerios or a can of soup.

30 minutes on this forum will raise my blood pressure more than any salt level ever will.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W

I’m not worried about drinking it, I’m worried about all the salt we’re dumping into our waterways.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The salt is only used to clean the resin beads during the regen cycles. Not during regular consumption.

Sorry, I posted this before I saw your above post.

Last edited by Cretch; 03/07/21.

3825 24336
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana

I’m not worried about drinking it, I’m worried about all the salt we’re dumping into our waterways.

You can use a potassium chloride intend of salt, it costs more.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The softener also removes iron. The pros easily outweigh the cons. Washing cars, dishes, clothes, hair, etc. with well water sucks

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Why waste time on the OP that answers his own question.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chris_c
We use a waterboss, set as low as possible to work. 2 months on a bag of salt

This^

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Who has one? Being on city water it’s almost a must, but I refuse to get one, despite Slavyanka’s complaints about the spots on the shower stall.

I just don’t like dumping, on average 10-15 lbs of salt a month into our water system. I know the city I used to live in drew water from a river and the place where I got bottled water showed ridiculous amounts of salt in the city water - which contributes to high blood pressure, not to mention what it does to other things.

I realize that a lot of that is also run-off from road salt, but I still don’t like contributing to it with a water softener. Doing a simple calculation if everyone in my city had a water softener unit in their house is mind-boggling.

Honestly, I’m surprised this isn’t something the environmentalists have cottoned onto.

In a lot of places if you drill deep enough you run into brine. I agree that I'd rather not put salt into the environment but more damage would accrue from my "Slavyanka" if something wasn't done about spots on the shower.

Regarding the sodium in the water concern, ours is hooked up so all watering outside is done with straight well water. The hot water is always soft so dishes turn out better but one faucet in the house has straight well water with the turn of a couple of faucets. We use the hard well water for drinking.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Salt - from the earth it comes, to the earth it shall return. It gets recycled. I got tired of replacing rusted out fixtures every 3 or 4 years.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,719
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.