Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
They're a great breed for dog fighting . Anybody enjoy a good dog fight ?

Two dogs fighting because they think they need to? That's one thing. Two dogs fighting to put money in some slob's pocket and amuse rednecks and 'grrrs? No, and that's a dick sport. Period.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
wow, Thanks for sharing first hand experience. They are evil and dangerous animals no doubt.

Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by Switch
Originally Posted by David_Walter
It's the owners, not the breed.

I call BS! Pointers point, retrievers retrieve, flushers flush, herders herd and Pits are breed to fight and kill, and they do! People give too much credit how smart their pets are, they operate solely on instinct. Love then all you want but keep they away from your kids and grand kids. You are living with a time bomb! You don't train a Pit to be aggressive and to fight. just condition them to be stronger than the poor bastard they kill. Gas them all along with the ass hats that fight them!

This is my experience from 10 years of investigating dog attacks.

I would only qualify it by saying any breed can be aggressive, even a 7lb Maltese.

I wonder how many of the labs/lab crosses, listed as the number one biters by the insurance industry, were actually pitbulls/pitbull crosses? It was/it is very common for pitbull owners to try to list their pitbull cross as a lab cross, to avoid the stigma/licencing requirements/insurance fees often required for pit bulls. In my experience, the tell is the slope of the forehead, the pitbull cross may look very much like a lab cross, except for the forehead slope and it may be more muscular.

Pit bulls are often popular among regular folk; for status (kind of like getting a Harley when you aren't really a biker and a Gold Wing is really your type), for looks (they can be very goid looking dogs), for behavior (some of the nicest dogs I ever came across were pitbulls), for protection (the owner doesn't like guns).

What many pitbull owners don't realize is that Pit bulls often are Dr Jeckel/Mr Hyde, one minute the best dog in the world, the next they've killed/mauled the neighbor's kid without provocation. When investigating dog attacks, I always tried to identify what caused the dog to attack. Pitbulls don't need a reason, they were bred to be aggressive, they revert to their type with no warning. They are very good at causing damage. One eary thing about Pit bulls is that they are often very calm after the attack. They can go from calm to unprovoked attack to calm like throwing a light switch. Other breeds do not do this.

Owning a pitbull is not worth the risk to the safety of people, often the owner's friends and family. I agreed with our policy that any unclaimed pitbull/pitbull crosses were destroyed.

I'd speculate that the pit bull attacks you saw were typically much more than a bite. That the attacks were pressed much further than they typically were with other breeds.

Pitbull bites do tend to be more severe than other breeds, but don't discount the damage that any large breed like rottweilers, german shepherds, labs, huskies, malamutes can do. Perhaps the worst mauling that occurred when I worked there, the young victim, a adolescent girl, looked like she had been mauled by a bear or a large cat. The photos showed chunks of flesh from her limbs were missing. Her mother claimed that it was huskies or malamutes that did it. It is very possible that their own dogs chained in the back yard did it. Mother denied it and we looked for the strays she claimed were responsible. Strangely, IIRC, their dogs resembled the "strays". No one twigged to that for a day or so, we were focused on locating the strays. We should have had their dogs stomachs pumped. Very sad.

About the first bite I investigated on my own after training, a rescue pitbull laid the adult males face open from the hairline near the top of his ear to the corner of his mouth. He told me the plastic surgeons used 212 stitches, both dissolving internal and external, to close his wound. I completed my investigation and even though the attack was unprovoked and the owner had his young children over on alternating weeks, I had to go to court to get an order to have the dog destroyed. Even though the owner had been guilted into adopting the abused pitbull from the SPCA by a SPCA employee/volunteer, (she said if the dog wasn't adopted, it would be killed the next day, it's time was up. Of course his kids convinced him to adopt it.), he felt he had to fight to save it. Dumbass, the dog had been tortured and burned by cigarettes by the previous owner. It was a landshark. He had to keep it on a logging chain. If you were close to it, it tried to grab you with evil intent. It always felt good holding those dogs while the vet injected the lethal dose of sedative.

Another time, a fellow officer asked for help investigating complaints of pitbulls chasing and biting people in an area near downtown. No one could/would identify the dogs or where they came from. There was a house where the owner had a revolving door of pitbulls coming and going. There had been prior aggressive incidents from pitbulls at that location. So many dogs coming and going, hard to tell which dogs had committed the priors and which were even licenced. Anyways, we're talking to the owner and a couple of the pitbulls were loose in the yard, showing no signs of aggression. I felt pressure on my calf and looked down to see one of the pitbulls had placed his mouth around my calf, just holding it. I asked the owner to remove his dog. I kid you not, the owner said, "Oh look, he's tasting you!" I told him I didn't care what he thought his dog was doing, he better remove it or I would and it wouldn't be so gentle.

That's the attitude of so many dog owners. Never their fault. Never their dog's fault. IMO experience, many, maybe the majority of dog owners were unqualified to own a dog. I would support that prospective dog owners had to take a course to prepare them. People are really stupid when it comes to pets. Pets are not people, no matter how much they mean to your life.

There were so many aspects of that job I loved. But after 10 years I had to get out and transfer to another department. I was so jaded, and sick and tired of dog owners. Two thirds of my life to that time, I had always had one or more dogs. Ten years of dog owners and bad dogs, I have never had another dog and no desire to. Perhaps I'm scarred from those experiences, yet other coworkers had all sorts of pets. I just can't handle it, much to the chagrin of my kids.

One final story. Someone was always on call, in case of an "emergency". One night at about 2AM I was called out to investigate allegations of two pitbulls chasing and biting people. I probably should have phoned the on-call supervisor to request back up. But by the time you get your truck and get to the scene, who knows if I find the pitbulls? I was hesitant to disturb another person's sleep on a maybe. I arrived there and started interviewing and getting statements from the victims. As it turned out the dogs soon turned up and were milling around the intersection in front of their house and the house I was interviewing victims at the time. I should have called for backup, even a cop car crew (in my experience, 80% of cops were useless handling dogs). Backup from my department was an hour away. I decided to try it myself. Sometimes things are much easier than first thought. I grabbed my pole and went to grab the pitbulls. They were experienced, while one pressed the attack, the other would circle and try to get me from behind. At one point, the male got quite close and the female was coming in from behind. I hit the male as hard as I could between the eyes. I expected to see some visible injury, but he didn't yelp nor was there a visible injury, he just backed off. I turned and drove the female back. About this time they ran around to the alley. I jumped into my truck and followed. I found a hole in the rear fence at the house they were from. I jumped out and they male stuck his head though the hole. I snared him and threw him into a cage in the truck. I returned to the hole and the female stuck her head out. I snared her and put her in a cage. Sweet. Now I noticed the rear door to the house was open. Strange. I had no jurisdiction to enter the house. I called the cops to conduct a welfare check of any occupants. A car crew soon arrived. I was asked to go in with them. We found no people, but there was a third pitbull in an upstairs bedroom. I impounded her for safe keeping. We found the remnants of a hydroponic marijuana grow op in the basement. There was hardly anything in the house. It was probably stupid to take on two pitbulls myself, but in this case, no harm, no fowl. Ten years, I was never bitten with any effect, although I did have tears in pants and punctures in the leather gloves I always wore, just no skin punctured. I always went a step more than I thought I needed to safely handle the dog and I always wrapped the dogs snout, just in case it panicked and changed its mind and decided to bite me. I had co-workers who were bitten multiple times and missed work due to the severity/infection. Always assume the dog will bite, they all can and will in the right circumstance.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Secretary at work calls me this evening saying she will be in late tomorrow. Neighbors two pits killed all 8 of their goats and she has to file police reports to try and press charges. Worthless fuggin breed that I would never trust around anything I cared about.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The goats obviously provoked them. (sarcasm)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Another dog killed their chickens a while back and her husband shot it. Animal control said it was even since he shot the dog. Now the Animal Control is under the Sheriff’s Dept so hopefully they kill the damn dogs and let them recoup costs. They called in a vet to euthanize 3 of them (I guess she wouldn’t let her husband shoot, didn’t ask as she sounded upset). Schit like that would cause me to end up in prison because I’d have shot those dogs and if their owner wanted them he could pick them up in the nearest ditch. I think he didn’t kill them because he wanted to make sure the owner faces charges. Sucks for them as they’ve really gotten into hobby farming and love their animals.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Fair game in GA if harassing livestock on your property

Last edited by ready_on_the_right; 03/21/21.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Another dog killed their chickens a while back and her husband shot it. Animal control said it was even since he shot the dog. Now the Animal Control is under the Sheriff’s Dept so hopefully they kill the damn dogs and let them recoup costs. They called in a vet to euthanize 3 of them (I guess she wouldn’t let her husband shoot, didn’t ask as she sounded upset). Schit like that would cause me to end up in prison because I’d have shot those dogs and if their owner wanted them he could pick them up in the nearest ditch. I think he didn’t kill them because he wanted to make sure the owner faces charges. Sucks for them as they’ve really gotten into hobby farming and love their animals.
\

An easy solution is to criminally prosecute Pitbull owners for their schitty animals when they destroy property and kill and maim people

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I believe in being very pro active in dealing with pit bulls. If they love them they better keep them home.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a girl in my neighborhood 15 surgeries to look normal a boy with a chunk out of his arm all from pit bull attacks. I shoot on site but we need a campaign to hold owners accountable for their dogs of all types and breeds so all aggresive dogs are contained. Pit bulls belong to drug addicts morons and psychopaths. You might have no problem you might be killed how much do you love your family?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a girl in my neighborhood 15 surgeries to look normal a boy with a chunk out of his arm all from pit bull attacks. I shoot on site but we need a campaign to hold owners accountable for their dogs of all types and breeds so all aggresive dogs are contained. Pit bulls belong to drug addicts morons and psychopaths. You might have no problem you might be killed how much do you love your family?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pits are fine dogs until something causes them snap. Then they are deadly in seconds with no warning. I would never one have around kids. Had lab and rot mix once. Never could trust that dog.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Believe what you want hardhead profilers, the best two dogs we ever had in our family were a pit bull and a pit rottweiler cross. Here's Ruby a bad azz pit that I had to put down last year at 12+ years old who never did one thing wrong besides pee on the floor in the mud room her last few weeks.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life is good live it while you can.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Believe what you want hardhead profilers, the best two dogs we ever had in our family were a pit bull and a pit rottweiler cross. Here's Ruby a bad azz pit that I had to put down last year at 12+ years old who never did one thing wrong besides pee on the floor in the mud room her last few weeks.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It's not profiling man, it's undisputed facts. Just because your dog didn't attack a human or another dog doesn't mean we ignore the reality.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
So I pretty much have been in agreement with the majority here for most of my life when it comes to pit bulls. The only reason I could imagine someone would want one would be to fulfill some kind of macho need to have the baddest dog on the block.

I used to buy purebred puppies so I would know what to expect. Then about 18 years ago this pitiful abandoned starving mongrel found me on the plains of the Texas panhandle and he became the best dog I ever knew. I still have no idea of his heritage but his heart was pure gold.

After he passed I decided I would rescue another dog. Went to the shelter and took pity on this big black dog with ribs sticking out of his sides. The shelter thought he was mostly lab with maybe some pit bull because his head seemed a bit big for his body, but at the time I thought it was because he was so skinny. He almost looked like a full blooded lab to me. I brought him home.

A week later I took him to the local dog park because I still couldn't trust him off-leash. There was one other dog there, a big Belgian Shepard who tried to hump my new friend. There was a fight and Boudreaux ended up on top before other dog's owner and me pulled them apart. She looked over her dog and then said to me, "that's a good dog, he never bit"

Curiosity got the better of me a few months later and I had his DNA tested. Well turns out he's only 37% lab, 13% mixed breeds, and 50% American Staffordshire Terrier. So unknowingly I became the owner of pit bull. I like to think I don't fit the profile described here for that, I'm pretty sure my IQ is something north of 70, and I don't know the first thing about cooking meth. I take Boudreaux on two long walks in the country every day and he sure seems like he has a perfect disposition to me. He loves kids, loves to play with other dogs, not too smart but very gentle.

Objectively is this a dog you think I can trust, or could there still be some hidden dark spot in his brain that's going to cause him to snap one day?

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Paul. These open minded men clearly know everything there is to know about dogs. No need for "facts"

Facts are for almost 2 decades of listening to dog attack stories 99% were pit bulls.

That's a fact!

Mike

And you take at face value all the other "facts" MSM "reports", right? They don't pick and chose what they "report" for sensationalism/sales, right? They don't shade the truth here and everywhere for same, right? They never make stuff right up, right?

Fact: you can't believe much of anything the lying bastards "report", without taking it with a shaker of salt and a good stiff margarita. And some judicious research from credible sources.

"It doesn't mean every pit is a worthless killer. It does mean that far too many own dangerous dogs and can't muster the responsibility that it demands."

This.

IMO, at least 25% of people that "own" dogs, should not, no matter what the breed. And certainly not a breed with the rep/potential of pits. Which is why many of the people who should not, deliberately choose a pit.

Put them in with the dogs (pit and otherwise) that "should" be gassed for cause, not general breed.

Last edited by las; 03/22/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
They're a great breed for dog fighting . Anybody enjoy a good dog fight ?

Two dogs fighting because they think they need to? That's one thing. Two dogs fighting to put money in some slob's pocket and amuse rednecks and 'grrrs? No, and that's a dick sport. Period.

I don't condone and its wrong on many levels , but dog fighting does exist . Dog fights generate big money and draw crowds of of the unsavory type .

Dogs are selectively bred to compete . This is what perpetuates the breed .

All dogs have instincts and triggers . Regardless of how well trained , when the right stimulus occurs instinct takes over and cancels out training .

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
This^^^^^^

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,780
Posts18,477,082
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.