Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
If you want dark orange yokes, feed corn to the hens.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I only keep 3 or 4 at a time.

Built a simple elevated coop out of scrap wood. It’s maybe 40” x40”. Has a nesting box on the back with a drop down door. Front has drop door door/ramp for bird/clean out access.

Vested at the top, front and back. Branch mounted to roost. Pine shavings on the floor. It’s inside an admittedly jankey Tpost and welded wire enclosure that’s maybe 15’x15’. Close them up at night.

Birds would sometimes jump on top of the coop and fly over the wire. Often roosting in the bush nearby for the night. Lost a couple that way. Put deer netting over it and it’s GTG.

If they take off into the swamp I send my bird dog after them. She brings them back. Usually no worse for the wear. Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cheaper to buy chicken and eggs in a store. But not there when store is closed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Esox357
Thanks KWG

I grew up with chickens and cleaning chicken houses. We made some good money selling eggs and we ate a lot of Sunday chicken dinners. If I were living in the country right now I'd have at least 50 or 60 good layers for my part time cash only job.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Montivagant
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Mind mentioning on here which pasture fence and energizer you're using?

Yotes got a hen last year while they were out and about. I'd like to get the e fence thing but there are a whole lot of options out there.

thanks in advance.

As mentioned in my initial post, Premier1 has been our source for PoultyNet mesh fencing and a 1 joule IntelliShock energizer has been the jolt for our 164' mesh fence around the coop. Check them out for 120V plug in models or those that can be assembled or a 12V system with a solar panel/frame/battery box and can be setup anywhere on your property. You'll also need a solar charge controller to prevent the panel from boiling the battery. Shoot me a pm and I'll send you a photo of our setup that protects the energizer and charge controller from the sun's UV that you can post here if others would like to see the setup. I also have a second one setup as a solar battery tender for the JD tractor that gets garaged over the winter. It's likely paid for itself in keeping the stout battery charged and happy for many years....

A quick gander at Premier1's website seems to show that they no longer carry the 10W solar panels and associated frames/battery boxes. Might give them a call to inquire about other sources and a system that will serve your needs. The built-up system I've described is far less expensive than their all-in-one solar systems provided one can do some basic wiring/connections per their instructions.

Charge Controller

1 Joule Energizer Options

really appreciate the reply.

I've already got a solar charger, that is listed at 1.6 joules max. I'm thinking that would be enough for 164' which would likely serve my needs nicely. I wasn't sure it any charger will work. Has to be solar in my case, as I'm not running 110/120 electric 100' out there just for the chickens.

This is what I have, and as long as their connectors will work, I should be fine..........right?

https://parmakusa.com/product/deluxe-field-solar-pak-6/

I know for sure, once deer and dogs get a taste of it they tend to shy away. Can't imagine a yote deciding differently. I just worry about them jumping over the chicken fence.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Cheaper to buy chicken and eggs in a store. But not there when store is closed.

It’s about quality, not cost.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
10-4 rubberdick, you're right about that !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Some things we do just because. laugh

Nothing cheap about the pickerel we catch, even for folks that live near a good lake!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is mine right after I finished building it. I have really enjoyed fresh eggs. Hard to eat store bought now. Fresh eggs used in baking have no equal. I saw pictures of coops and designed this to fit my needs.

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cloud egg:

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B3

Esox357 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nice Sako. I got to get to work on this!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Cloud egg:

[Linked Image]

Thats a very nice design for your hens Sakoluvr.

Btw, how did you cook this egg to get the whites fluffy?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Cloud egg:

[Linked Image]

Thats a very nice design for your hens Sakoluvr.

Btw, how did you cook this egg to get the whites fluffy?

Here is a cloud egg recipe. Delicious with fresh eggs!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/cloud-eggs-3744344

The coop is over built but I tend to do that. It has real board and batten siding and a tin roof over the run and coop. Ventilation is important but drafts are not good. A roof over the run keeps it from getting muddy. Hardware cloth is best. Chicken wire may keep the birds in but won't keep predators out.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I've already got a solar charger, that is listed at 1.6 joules max. I'm thinking that would be enough for 164' which would likely serve my needs nicely. I wasn't sure it any charger will work. Has to be solar in my case, as I'm not running 110/120 electric 100' out there just for the chickens.

This is what I have, and as long as their connectors will work, I should be fine..........right?

I know for sure, once deer and dogs get a taste of it they tend to shy away. Can't imagine a yote deciding differently. I just worry about them jumping over the chicken fence.

Based upon the specs, you should have a good, portable energizer for a standard 164' fence. Just make sure to have a good ground rod installation for it and keep the grass mowed under the fencing in the summer to prevent shorting out the lower strands. Our 1J energizer cooks the grass under the fencing. Fencing and ground rod clamps/leads can be had from Premier1 or your LHS. Don't know if your specific energizer has an integral charge controller to protect the battery from boiling on bright sunny days. May want to check it with your DMM on one of those days and consider splicing in a 6V controller if it is elevated so you don't fry your setup. Don't know how your planning on mounting the energizer but would suggest you hang some flashing or similar below the solar panel to keep the sun's UV from deteriorating the unit's face. Don't ask me how I know.... *grin*

I'll get to your pm's request for pixels in the next few days....

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Coops are often free from people who thought they wanted chickens. Chickens are often free, too, for the same reason. Chicken tractors are a great idea if you have the acreage to move them to fresh forage daily.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Do like Bender and get some proper birds.

Commercial type fryers raised on only commercial type feed taste no different than the birds at the store.

Ordered 4 Freedom Rangers for a test run this spring. Coming April 17 or so.

No more of them friggen Cornish Cross bishes that can't even hold their own breast off the ground.

Slower the better.

I think Orpingtons would be good to eat.

+1 we did 80 Cornish cross first year in addition to our layers. Never again. Nasty beasts.

Orpingtons are in fact good to eat, and are a good dual-purpose bird. And aesthetically pleasing as well. My wife sells quite a few.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys for the help. Im looking more of egg layer but open to meat birds. I have a general idea of what I want to build, but keep the suggestions going!

We raise multiple breeds, all of which are dual purpose but one. The wife took egg coloring into consideration because it sells well, but they all lay well and we eat the girls after egg production drops (2-3 years). We have raised up some roosters just for meat, which costs more but you know where your meat is coming from.

Our White Rocks stand out as our best foragers... they venture the farthest and stay out the longest. The other breeds we raise all pretty much tie... Orpingtons, americaunas/easter-eggers, Jersey Giants, BCMs.

Keep in mind dual purpose heritage breeds take 5 months+ to mature, unlike meat birds which take as little as 8-10 weeks.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Fiddy; 03/31/21.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Thanks guys for the help. Im looking more of egg layer but open to meat birds. I have a general idea of what I want to build, but keep the suggestions going!

We raise multiple breeds, all of which are dual purpose but one. The wife took egg coloring into consideration because it sells well, but they all lay well and we eat the girls after egg production drops (2-3 years). We have raised up some roosters just for meat, which costs more but you know where your meat is coming from.

Our White Rocks stand out as our best foragers... they venture the farthest and stay out the longest. The other breeds we raise all pretty much tie... Orpingtons, americaunas/easter-eggers, Jersey Giants, BCMs.

Keep in mind dual purpose heritage breeds take 5 months+ to mature, unlike meat birds which take as little as 8-10 weeks.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You're ready for easter!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Montivagant

Based upon the specs, you should have a good, portable energizer for a standard 164' fence. Just make sure to have a good ground rod installation for it and keep the grass mowed under the fencing in the summer to prevent shorting out the lower strands. Our 1J energizer cooks the grass under the fencing. Fencing and ground rod clamps/leads can be had from Premier1 or your LHS. Don't know if your specific energizer has an integral charge controller to protect the battery from boiling on bright sunny days. May want to check it with your DMM on one of those days and consider splicing in a 6V controller if it is elevated so you don't fry your setup. Don't know how your planning on mounting the energizer but would suggest you hang some flashing or similar below the solar panel to keep the sun's UV from deteriorating the unit's face. Don't ask me how I know.... *grin*

I'll get to your pm's request for pixels in the next few days....

Thanks

this charger is 20 some odd years old and really shows very little deterioration. Batteries last 5+ years, 6v gel type. And I've had it working in places with 300 or so sunny days a year! Even have had it stored at times for 2 + years, brought it back to life with a new battery, and away we go.

I keep the grass cut way back where it will be used anyway, it's our firebreak where the chickens will be foraging. Hopefully the lower wire will be safe. We don't like "cooking grass around here". Wildfire is our biggest natural disaster type event..

Thanks for all the help, and I look forward to the pics.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Went to visit the girls, in their red light district, this morning;

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

286 members (160user, 12344mag, 21, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 31 invisible), 1,744 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,468
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.