Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Savage_99
One more thing on the practical side is that there are really not many grouse at all in Vermont. Hardly ever.

There certainly aren't any in New York. In fact, I believe they are listed as extinct in this state. So don't bother coming around here looking for any. wink

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They go in cycles from absolutely none to almost none. This year however they must be at the top of their cycle near the camp. I have been jumping them all year, seen them walking on the road etc.

Its a good time to scout for deer, get in shape, and hunt bear also. The grouse is just a treat if you get one, two is better and enough for a meal for both of us.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haven't seen one in Ct in 25 yrs too.
Savage, I know what you mean by the cycles. I hunted VT. for 27 yrs up till 2 yrs ago.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Savage_99
She said that a dog is smarter than a human? Thats ridiculous.

Either your assessment of Labs is too low or, more likely, your assessment of people is too high.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Savage, If you don't mind me asking, wherebouts is your camp (general area)? As I said, I Spent a bunch of time up there, 20 of which I hunted GMNF in the Stratton/Sunderland area. Hunted the kingdom for a few years before that. Winter bunny hunting was good back then.

IC B2

S
S
A german shorthair has always worked well for grouse for me in the woods of the N.W.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am near Wardsboro. When I hunt alone there I just walk out of the camp. My buddy wants to hunt near farms so when he is at the camp we drive through Manchester and hunt near the farms off of Rt30.

I have hunted all over the state from border to border with the exception of little time spent in the CT river valley area.

[Linked Image]

The fine print on the sign reads "Parallel parkers will be shot"

Last edited by Savage_99; 08/16/07.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big game reporting station.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bucktales
Savage, If you don't mind me asking, wherebouts is your camp (general area)? As I said, I Spent a bunch of time up there, 20 of which I hunted GMNF in the Stratton/Sunderland area. Hunted the kingdom for a few years before that. Winter bunny hunting was good back then.

The first lab that we got was free. My late dad and I were hunting up in Stratton in a fairly level area on some crusty ice in the winter. The snowshoe rabbits were in season. As you know they turn white for some reason. The lab was with us and I shot a rabbit with my old Remington hammer SXS. The dog picked up the rabbit and ran off with it. It was really time to go home and we had to be in work the next day. After calling and calling that dumb dog we got in the car and drove off and there was the dog running down the road ahead of us. She had lost the rabbit.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Savage, those pics made my day. That was my old stomping grounds. Does Kip still own the store? Checked in my Blackie from '93 on that old grain scale next to Kip's. I used to spend entire rifle and BP seasons up there. Mostly hunted the Stratton/Arlington road near the top on the right side as well as the "real" kelly stand ,not where the plaque in the parking lot is. Black Brook,Lye brook, the IP road, Little Stratton, five beaver ponds in, man, I can go on.
Probably passed by you more than once.
Thanks for posting.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am not sure who owns the country store. I do know that the gunshop is gone from it. Word has it that constant break in's made that necessary. I buy my Lic. there and asked again about the gunshop owner but I got a guarded answer. I asked if he still had his FFL and the clerk 'said' she did not know.

What years did you hunt there? Back in the 50's, 60's and early 70's it was pretty good there. Of course some guys never got anything. There used to be a game trail that went right past the camp but its been gone now for years. The deer would walk that path on top of the snow all winter long.

To add that the 'Arlington Turnpike' that you hunted off of is some pretty big woods for that country. That road is about 14 miles or so long and the only one around there. They don't plow it in the winter from Stratton towards the west as you know.

I think I have a good pic somewhere of your woods and I will look for it later.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a picture of an area we hunt north of Manchester. I won't forget the pic. of your Arlington Tpke. area but so far its not showing up.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Early 80's till 04 I hunted there. Right about big woods, One BP season I tracked a large buck at daybreak on the Arlington road. He headed NorthWest all day. I broke it off at 2:30pm and didn't get back to my rig till well after dark 3 miles away. I kept thinking I was going to end up at Orvis in Manchester if I kept walking.Good thing I didn't catch up to him, I'd probably still be draggin.Covered a lot of ground and Didn't cut another track all day either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When my sister graduated from college she and her room mate got into the Peace Corp. I invited my sister up to the camp to get some hiking in as she already had the plane tickets for Peru. My parents and I did not want her to go at all.

She brought her friend along who also was going to Peru. Back then I was really in shape. I know that some mountain men are better at it that I ever was but I could run for miles at a very high rate.

I took them right over to the trail that climbs Stratton Mountain and up we went to the top. You can be sure that the pace was fast but on the way down I went really fast. By then their legs were mush. My sister never went to Peru or for that matter into the P.C.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If my bearings are correct, I shot my 93 bear off the backside of that first ridge in the foreground, one heck of a drag.Thanks again for the pix, memories of some good times.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Please don't forget the Gordon's English cousin! I live in Michigan Upper Penninsula-country that looks a lot like your New England landscapes and with similar weather. The "classic" English Setters share a lot of personality traits with the Gordon. I have a pair that serve as house dogs and hunting companions. I never cease to be amazed as the Jekyl/Hyde personality transformations these critters experience around hunting. The same dogs who languish unobtrussively around the house all year long turn into "Popeye on spinach" when birds are on the menu. Still, they're eager to please and hunt cover well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, I know that type very well. We have friends in Europe that breed "traditional, old school" English and Gordons.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

GROUSE DOG

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

GROUSE DRILLING

You have it dialed in perfectly, my friend. I love your drilling, and am realy interested in your dogs. laugh cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Same here, re dogs. Also, enquiring (sick) minds want to know
about both boxlock and drilling: brand, age, gauge & caliber,
and all available provenance. How sweet it is...!!!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,585
Posts18,511,051
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.