Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Ok,,,,,, FWIW, here is what I've been carrying since about 2003, and it will get-er-done, if I do my part,,,,,, and I have... cool Lj

If you can put full house bear loads through a 329, you're a far better man than I.

I have a similar weighted Taurus Titanium tracker in 41 mag. I guarantee it will never see my 250 gr loads, and damned few hot 210 gr loads.

Ok then,,,,,,, but just to be clear, I practice a lot, 7-800 rd's/yr. +/-, with .44 spl. loads, and those Cowboy action loads, as well as some standard off the shelf .44Mag loads, and in the 18 +/- yrs that I've been packing and shooting this Gun, I've probably put about 6 Boxes +/- of Buffalo-Bore RR 255gr Keith loads, and about 3, maybe 4 Boxes of 300-320gr Alaska Back-Packer Loads,,,,,, so there you go,,,,, it all comes down to understanding what you've got, and how to use what you've got, and this Gun is still as Tight and Trigger Smooth as 1st purchased...... cool Lj....

I am sure the revolver can handle the abuse. It is my hand and wrist that would concern me.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Ok,,,,,, FWIW, here is what I've been carrying since about 2003, and it will get-er-done, if I do my part,,,,,, and I have... cool Lj

If you can put full house bear loads through a 329, you're a far better man than I.

I have a similar weighted Taurus Titanium tracker in 41 mag. I guarantee it will never see my 250 gr loads, and damned few hot 210 gr loads.

Ok then,,,,,,, but just to be clear, I practice a lot, 7-800 rd's/yr. +/-, with .44 spl. loads, and those Cowboy action loads, as well as some standard off the shelf .44Mag loads, and in the 18 +/- yrs that I've been packing and shooting this Gun, I've probably put about 6 Boxes +/- of Buffalo-Bore RR 255gr Keith loads, and about 3, maybe 4 Boxes of 300-320gr Alaska Back-Packer Loads,,,,,, so there you go,,,,, it all comes down to understanding what you've got, and how to use what you've got, and this Gun is still as Tight and Trigger Smooth as 1st purchased...... cool Lj....

I am sure the revolver can handle the abuse. It is my hand and wrist that would concern me.

Part of the fun gaining proficiency.

Some loads are more painful than others. E.g. 300gr @1050fps is not a painful load for me. But a 240gr1250fps is and I won't shoot more than 3 cylinders of it. Even though the 300gr load has slightly more momentum, the recoil pulse is not as sharp. Btw, I'm talking about shooting a 329pd.

Last edited by dla; 08/27/21. Reason: Clarification
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Most "damage" done by guns isn't immediately noticeable. It shows up years later when you start thinking things like "why is my wrist always sore and my fingers stiff?". I remember an article about that by John Taffin.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M

10MM

200 grain truncated cone hard cast flat point. 1150 FPS.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is offhand at 15 yards in my Glock 21 .45 ACP with 10MM barrel installed. The load is quite accurate, totally reliable with a stock G20/21 recoil spring, and is easy enough to shoot that you can hammer them out it quick succession with some practice.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

F
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
F
My 5” m and p 40 runs a 200 NOE WFN at dang near 1100 with longshot. Not much difference, cases do not bulge, primer pockets are still snug after several shots. Seven five gallon buckets of brass makes my desire to pick up empties very slim. Seems to me that multiple rapid hits are very effective as is one hit from a big gun like one of my fifties.
The m and p sure packs easier than the smith 500 or my two 500 L single actions

Last edited by frank500; 08/27/21.
IC B2

D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by frank500
My 5” m and p 40 runs a 200 NOE WFN at dang near 1100 with longshot. Not much difference, cases do not bulge, primer pockets are still snug after several shots. Seven five gallon buckets of brass makes my desire to pick up empties very slim. Seems to me that multiple rapid hits are very effective as is one hit from a big gun like one of my fifties.
The m and p sure packs easier than the smith 500 or my two 500 L single actions

A big plus is that the m&p40 has excellent casehead support.

F
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
F
They really do. I’ve run some loads through mine that did expand primer pockets. Pretty impressed with the m and p over the blocks. Yes I tried the block 20 but just could not get past the grip angle. Shot a thousand rounds and sold it. Carried it quite a bit too. Went back to a 1911 and revolvers until my friend shoved buckets of forty brass in the truck and said you need a 40....... so I got the Smith. Lots of police trade in magazines available for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wish S&W would produce a 10mm M&P pistol.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
Wish S&W would produce a 10mm M&P pistol.

If they did, I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
How about we have a "stopping big bears with a handgun" thread limited to only those who've done so? I mean, we're really big on BTDT and "pictures or it didn't happen" here.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by cra1948
How about we have a "stopping big bears with a handgun" thread limited to only those who've done so? I mean, we're really big on BTDT and "pictures or it didn't happen" here.

I believe if we set those guidelines, this thread would soon fade away. Better IMHO to allow the free expression of ideas of what one man's perfect solution to the proper handgun for bears. I am enjoying reading other's post on this thread.

Ken
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Then we could go the same route for self defense!

And later we could even institute it for punching paper .

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve never killed a bear that was trying to get me but I have 4 friends who’ve been unfortunate enough to have to do it with a handgun. This is one of my very best friends, he uses 240 Keith style bullets around 850fps, over spec for the 44sp but he isn’t shooting piles of them. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by desertoakie

I believe if we set those guidelines, this thread would soon fade away. Better IMHO to allow the free expression of ideas of what one man's perfect solution to the proper handgun for bears. I am enjoying reading other's post on this thread.

We'd have to listen to 458 win tell us how its done. He did it with a 9mm and lived to tell the story. I don't think I'd want to try it, but since there is no such thing as kinetic energy and "knock down power", I think I'd be alright.. ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Something that some "bear killers" don't know is that a bullet put into the actual heart of a bear will not stop him. A bear's heart rate is slow, slow, slow giving him time to kill you even after you putting a bullet or several into him. A CNS shot is all that will prevent him from killing you. Lots of luck with that when he is charging you!!!!

Of course what you say about a bear having a slow heart beat is true. But when you say that a CNS shot us the only way to keep the bear from killing you, is most certainly not true. Too many instances where body shot saved the day.

How do you know that? wink

You should tell that story to see if any answers change......

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[quote=MOGC]Wish S&W would produce a 10mm M&P pistol. [/quote

I’ve been emailing them for years about producing one…
Nothing but crickets!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,646
Posts18,474,534
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.