Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Great old thread. Thanks for bringing it back up.

Looks like you brought it up 3 hours ago. ha ha.. Do pre 64 model 70's shoot well?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Great old thread. Thanks for bringing it back up.

Looks like you brought it up 3 hours ago. ha ha.. Do pre 64 model 70's shoot well?

Shoot buddy, I could EASILY get by the rest of my days with what they chambered in P64's and I bet I wouldn't miss out on much. Heck to be honest, I pretty much do now. 270, 30-06, 7 Mashburn (Mag action), 338 Win and 375 Improved... Nothing at all I couldn't get done with those, anywhere.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by centershot
Minute of Elk.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This old rifle loves a heavy load of 4064 and Hornady 150gr SP bullets. 180's and 4350 are nearly as accurate and work well on the bigger critters.

Man, I love that picture. One of my favorites.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In 1984 I shot a 243 and 220 swift in pre 64.
They belonged to a family member.

Now, in 2021, I own 8 pre 64 rifles, and I only shoot them after I rebarrel them.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a pre-64 '06 that dates to 1952. First few groups, with 165gr Hornadys and 58gr H4350, werearound 2" at 100yds. After a week of repeated soakong and scrubbing with JB compound, it settled in at back-to-back-to-back 3/4" groups. Problem solved.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Minute of Elk.

This old rifle loves a heavy load of 4064 and Hornady 150gr SP bullets. 180's and 4350 are nearly as accurate and work well on the bigger critters.

Mine too - it was a memorable hunt...........now that I have forgotten how much work it is to get one of those sucker out by yourself.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Minute of Elk.

Mine too - it was a memorable hunt...........now that I have forgotten how much work it is to get one of those sucker out by yourself.

That's a great picture and yes, it is a lot of work. You did well... Since this is an accuracy thread on pre 64's. Here's one of mine with a bull I took 2 years ago:

The beauty in this rifle is its always ready to go elk hunting:

Picture sucks, as it was taken with my Oregon 550 GPS... Yeah, for the most part, pre 64 model 70 winchesters shoot very well.. While I'm at it. Here's a 30-06 fwt that I will never part with:

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I only have one, 375H&H. Still have the original 2 lug stock but it doesn't fit me well so it is hunted in a custom Brown Prec. Scarry accurate it has taken 3 cape buffalo, various plains game a bunch of deer and a few coyotes. My idea of a "black rifle". grin

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
I only have one, 375H&H. Still have the original 2 lug stock but it doesn't fit me well so it is hunted in a custom Brown Prec. Scarry accurate it has taken 3 cape buffalo, various plains game a bunch of deer and a few coyotes. My idea of a "black rifle". grin

Very nice. There is mucho beauty in the versatility of that rifle. I thought that was a Brown Precision stock. My 338wm wears a PoundR.. Extremely nice stocks with great ergo's that help to soak up that recoil.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Last week I got to shoot a first year production "Short RIfle", It had been drilled and tapped early in it's life, and had a Weaver 2.5X scope on it. In addition to it being a 1937 model, it had been very well taken care of, it had character in it's stock and metalwork, but it was still in great shape. With that somewhat foggy scope (it was pretty bad) I shot three shots of a mild cast-bullet load into 1.25 inches, and I'd never seen that rifle before I shot it.

If the previous owner took good care of it, it's probably as good as that old M70 Short Rifle, and it probably shoots well enough to hunt anything you'd care to chase with it. It was, of course a .30GOV'T06, but was loaded to .30/30 specs or thereabouts. I really enjoyed that rifle it's a sweetheart.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Minute of Elk.

that picture makes me want to hunt elk with a pre64 -06 - thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That one and a bunch of the other pictures in this thread!

I blame you all for the current state of my bank account...but I can't wait to hear the mail has arrived.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Went and bought myself a 1948 vintage 70 standard grade, one of the cleanest I've ever seen. Put a vintage 1970s Leupold (THE HORROR) 3X9 on it and this is what I got with factory and one hand loads. Note they all were pretty much POI with all loads... Three shot groups for the most part...

150 Nosler AB handloads:

Norma 130gr (three shots plus one high after final correction)
WW Power Points:
https://i.imgur.com/U9sO7S7.jpg
And RP CoreLockts:

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow, that IS a good shooter! And good shooting on your part too, JorgeI. How can you not like it when they put many different loads into just about the same area if not group.

Still sounds like a nice rifle. Just found and put money down on a 1948 standard rifle too, but this ones in 30 gov't 06

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you and like I commented, it's one of the cleanest I've ever owned and I've owned (own) a few of them, but the fact it shot to POI with basically four different bullet manufacturers and my hand loads was a bonus indeed.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome! Will we see the rifle, too?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll get some close ups and post.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Right on, looking forward to seeing that!

Will post some of mine (and groups) as well, in a couple weeks

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Igloo
Right on, looking forward to seeing that!

Will post some of mine (and groups) as well, in a couple weeks

Here you go..

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had 3 pre-64s, 2 scoped, 1 with irons. The scoped guns were a .257 Roberts with a Redfield Widefield 3-9X and an '06 with a "Bearcub" (?) 4x in a tip-off mount. The iron sighted gun was a .375 H&H with a SN in the mid 650s.

The .257 and '06 were roughly 1-1/4" guns at 100 yards with their preferred loads. The .375 was minute of coffee cup at 50 yards .. I never really pushed it past that. They were good for their time, good for what their owners expected. They wouldn't be bragging guns in the accuracy department today.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (B52RadarNav, 35, 808outdoors, ar33c9, 10Glocks, 308ld, 8 invisible), 1,208 guests, and 754 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,688
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.